Beefmaster

Help Support CattleToday:

I finally broke one of my Beefmaster heifers to eat range checkers out of my hand yesterday. The only problem is that my huge Charolais heifer that wants to play linebacker in the NFL keeps knocking her ass on the ground every time she gets near me. I might have to sell that Charolais cow after she has her calf if she doesnt calm down.

Texan":3iak0sat said:
greenwillowherefords":3iak0sat said:
And in a discussion concerning Beefmasters, I guess I don't understand your references to Angus. Would that be the new Black Beefmaster?
The sire of my oldest Beefmaster heifer(she is red) was a "black" Beefmaster and when I saw him and I could have swore that he was a Brangus. I have no probelms with Brangus or any other English/Brahman cross cattle, but I dont cotton to the black hide fad (nothing against the Angus breed). The "black" Beefmasters could easily be 7/8 Beefmaster and 1/8 Angus because the Beefmaster "breeding-up" program and I accept this, but what what about these black Simmenthals and Limousins which are "purebred"?

I think Beefmasters are a good Brahman influenced breed.. and getting better all the time. But I don't think I would use a Beefmaster bull on a herd of already Brahman influenced cows. I would use a Continental breed.. otherwise you'll get too much ear.

Does anyone know how regional the "Across breed EPD adjustments" are? The study Dun posted a link to was done in Nebraska so I'm curious as to what the geographical distribution of the study population was. Isn't it a given that different breeds perform differently versus geographical location?

dcara":1gp46avc said:
Does anyone know how regional the "Across breed EPD adjustments" are? The study Dun posted a link to was done in Nebraska so I'm curious as to what the geographical distribution of the study population was. Isn't it a given that different breeds perform differently versus geographical location?

i saw this question asked earlier & i really don't know off-hand. i can check. typically your breed epd's reflect geography as well as management but i'm not familiar with the across-breed epd's calculations and development.

Latest posts