beefmaster cows

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
had a friend call me wanting to sell me some of his reg beefmasters.an was telling me all about his cows an their bloodlines.as well as when they was going to start calving.them being for sale isnt why im posting this.thought some beefmaster breeders here would like to know the prices of the cattle.he want $2500 a hd for themi was like ouch i can get reg cows cheaper than that.but i know his cows an i dont blame him for wanting that price.this was my only chance to get some smooth connection bloodlines in my herd.he wanted $2500 for his bred heifers as well.i bout fell out of my chair when i heard those prices.

if a beefmaster walks into the sale ring he will autoomatically be $.20 cheaper no matter what the quality or breeding. no one wants them around here. i wouldn't pay $2500 for 3 bred cows. its not because i dont like them, its because they wont have any resale value and their calves wont bring anything. its good they are bringing more in your area

well being in the south theres alot of brahama influnce cattle.an yes i know the calves get docked at the sale barn.they prolly get docked here at texas sale barns.but i havent sent any calves to the sale yet.

I know they will dock the purebred beefmaster calf, for having to much ear or leather. But you put a good Charolais bull or other tight hided bull over the cows, to tighten the ear up, and they'll do as good as any body's calf over the scale. Another fact about Beefmaster cows. You cant beat'em as far as milking machines. Calf raisers

i went with the beefmasters because i liked them.an yes they are calf raisers.ive got 2 calves thatll weigh from 600 to 850lbs more or less.an they are just barely 9 months old.the lighter wight calf is from a 1st calf heifer.1 calf is a tad over 5 months an she will weigh 500 or better right now.an my cows are all gentle as lambs.

Miss Daisy":3d5akmxm said:
if a beefmaster walks into the sale ring he will autoomatically be $.20 cheaper no matter what the quality or breeding. no one wants them around here. i wouldn't pay $2500 for 3 bred cows. its not because i dont like them, its because they wont have any resale value and their calves wont bring anything. its good they are bringing more in your area

Your right they want bring as much a pound but they will weigh more at sell time and make up for the price less per pound. I have gerts and see the same thing. But if their registered and have reg. calves you might sell them as seedstock and get more. I just went to a registered sell and 8 month old heifers brought $3000.

gertguyhe":33sy9ma6 said:
Your right they want bring as much a pound but they will weigh more at sell time and make up for the price less per pound. I have gerts and see the same thing. But if their registered and have reg. calves you might sell them as seedstock and get more. I just went to a registered sell and 8 month old heifers brought $3000.

i see what you are saying but the point i was making is they are not a popular breed where i live. breed is a personal preference and some breeds work better for some than they do for others.

We have 5 of those ol beefmaster mommas and we run an angus bull. They're all bred for their fifth calf now.they are just big ol pets and always raise big healthy calfs.some of the best mommas i've ever seen.Fun to see them gang up on a strange dog or a yote when they have calfs.

Cal

your right they will gang up on a dog quick.it really dont matter how old their calves are.

Smooth Connection is a good bloodline. Yes,they are expensive. I 've heard of some higher than that. Now do you understand why I bought the 16 crossbred heifers. I wanted more heifers,but only had 7500.00. That would buy me how reg.beefmasters? Now then I will keep theses heifers until the spring. Cull about half. Then I should have close to my 7500.00 back. I will then buy some reg. beefmasters.Plus I will breed the rest of the cross bred heifers. I'll have their calves for next year to sell.
I sold some beefmaster bulls thru the auction. I didn't lose anything. Yes,they started me out less than .20. But after the bidding was over, I ended up making just as much as a black hided calf.# 1 reason is the weight. They were thicker and heavier than the black hided.

All of our calfs form the beefmaster cows bred to an angus bull were blackhided plus we had the extra weight.

Cal

ive got a what i call a black beefmaster cow an her 9 month old heifer calf.but id rather have red or paint calves.an im not going to sale her because of her hide color.

In reading some of the posts that appear on these threads, I am curious as to the meaning and PRONUNCIATION of certain words! Words mean things! If they are spelled the way they are pronounced - or - if they are pronounced the way they are spelled - it leaves me uncertain at times as to what the writer really is trying to say!?! :???:

For example:
SELL - should be pronounced as if sounding llike the words Bell, Dell, Fell, Jell, Nell, Tell, Well and Yell. All with a SHORT - "e".

SALE - should be pronounced as if sounding like the words Bale (or Bail), Dale, Fail, Jail, Tale (or Tail), Wail, and Yale. Also Brail, Cale, Gale (or Gail), Hail, (or Hale), Kale, Male (or Mail), Nail, Pale(or Pail), Rail, SAIL (as in sailboat), also Snail (as in Garden).

"I am going to 'sell' my bull." or "Will you 'sell' your bull to me?" NOT - "I am going to 'SALE, (Or BALE - OR - FAIL)' my bull. or "Will you 'SALE' (or BALE - or FAIL' your bull to me?"

I know, I know! This is just the old Teacher DOC HARRIS again.! But if we can't communicate what the heck we are talking about, how do we expect our customers, or the people who work for us to respect us and deal with us in a respectful, courteous and with a well-mannered attitude?

If we can't speak and spell correct English (American) - - we are in DEEP DOO-DOO! (Which we ARE!)

DOC HARRIS

i for one dont use proper english or grammer.but thats just me.an i use alot of slang words to shorten things up.

After cusory reading of the original post, I have come up with some questions. Is your eventual goal to sell only through the sale barn? Or do you wish to develop some other maket, such as selling replacements? You can not justify a $2500.00 cow if all her progeny is headed for the SALE barn. However, if she will be bearing replacement heifers to be sold in groups or Bulls to be sold into commercial programs. This would be in line pricing. It all boils down to what KIND of sale you are going to SELL your cattle at. Bcome the guy who is selling those $2500 replacements.
"Begin with the end in mind" That way we stay out of the prevailing B S. P.S. DOO- DOO and HECK are not real words. They are slang terms for feces and hades.

WRONG! DOO-DOO, BS, PS, and HECK are all contractions, abbreviations or euphmism's for other words, terms, and/or lexeme's, and ALL appear in any indispensable reference work covering the English language today (or Dictionary), specifically "Webster's New World College Dictionary", and in this particular instance, the Fourth Edition.

DOC HARRIS

oscar p":6noz96ci said:
I know they will dock the purebred beefmaster calf, for having to much ear or leather. But you put a good Charolais bull or other tight hided bull over the cows, to tighten the ear up, and they'll do as good as any body's calf over the scale. Another fact about Beefmaster cows. You cant beat'em as far as milking machines. Calf raisers

Here is an article on composite cattle, very important for the comercial operation. Beefmasters fill that order.

Two Plus Two Equals Five
Hybrid Vigor, also known as heterosis, is a marked increase in performance and output that can be achieved through crossbreeding. It is equivalent to 2 + 2 = 5. Although hybrid vigor is not totally free, it's as close to free as we're ever going to get. Hybrid vigor has a significant effect on growth and performance, but its greatest effect is on fertility, doability and longevity. Therefore, a crossbred cow has huge economic advantages over a purebred cow.

Here is an analogy that might make this concept a little easier to understand. Straight breeding (Angus x Angus) is like depositing money in a checking account. What you put in is exactly what you can take back out. On the other hand, crossbreeding is like depositing money in a savings account. Not only can you take out what you put in, you will also take out some accrued interest (hybrid vigor).

Breed Complementarity is another positive factor that can only be achieved through some form of crossbreeding. This involves taking the positive traits that exist in two different purebreds and putting them together in a crossbred animal. In other words, the traits of one breed will complement the traits of another breed when they are combined.

A crossbred range cow should be 50% to 100% English (Angus, Hereford, Red Angus) breeding. She should never be over 50% Continental (Tarentaise, Gelbvieh, Simmental) breeding. Since many continental breeds are not maternal in nature they should seldom, if ever, be used to produce replacement heifers.

Crossbred calves that seem to perform the best in the feedlot and on the rail will be 50% to 75% English breeding and 25% to 50% Continental breeding. Although 100% English bred calves cannot compete with continental-cross calves for cutability, they excel in the white table cloth market, as well as the grass-fed beef market. Commercial ranchers need to be working with a crossbred cowherd, because they cannot afford to give up the advantages of hybrid vigor and breed complementarity. However, managing an effective crossbreeding system requires some forethought and discipline. You can't just buy the cheapest bulls that meet your basic color requirements. Take time to make a plan and then stick with it.

Pharo Cattle Company can provide all the genetic ingredients for a successful crossbreeding system. This sale has an outstanding selection of Angus, Red Angus, Composite, Hereford and Tarentaise bulls to choose from. We are a no-nonsense seedstock producer who has always selected for efficient, moderate-sized, maternal cattle. Our cows run on short native grass year-round with minimum supplementation.

Keeping it simple. If you would like the advantages of hybrid vigor and breed complementarity without all the problems and headaches involved in managing a crossbreeding system, you might consider using our Composite bulls. Traditional crossbreeding requires all cows to be identified and sorted into different breeding pastures to be bred by bulls of different breeds. For many this requires too much time and management. Most crossbreeding systems will also produce a lack of uniformity because calves are sired by two or more different breeds of bulls.

Composite bulls enable you to run your entire cowherd together with one set of bulls, if so desired. Record keeping and sorting can be minimized. This also makes it possible for you to implement a rotational grazing system.

Our Composite bulls can simplify your breeding system, as well as move your program in the right direction. They're 50% to 75% English breeding and 25% to 50% Continental breeding, and they can be either red or black in color.

im raising beefmasters to sale heifers an bulls to other producers.as well as herd bulls to comm cattleman.an todo that you have to buy the best cows you can.ive got a big stout bull calf that im raising for a herd bull.an he has all the right breeding.an i hope to sale heifers an bulls through BBU approved sales.as well as private treaty sales.so therefore ive set my goals.an if i get lucky enough to sale a show heifer thats a bonus.

Latest posts