Beefmaster Coloring

Help Support CattleToday:

RazorbackRed

Reaction score
Looking at some beefmaster heifers. There are about 20, and I might like to buy 4-6 head. Anyway, some are all red and some are paint. I am partial to the paints. Don't know why but i just like them. Is there anyway to predict the coloring of beefmaster or breed specifically for paint? Does the bull and cow both need to be paint? One or the other? Anyone know how this works?

Thanks,

RazorbackRed":3qbvfhru said:
Looking at some beefmaster heifers. There are about 20, and I might like to buy 4-6 head. Anyway, some are all red and some are paint. I am partial to the paints. Don't know why but i just like them. Is there anyway to predict the coloring of beefmaster or breed specifically for paint? Does the bull and cow both need to be paint? One or the other? Anyone know how this works?

Thanks,
nope they are as unpredictable as the weather. used a black BM on a few simbrahs. thought if nothing i should get a solid color pattern. wasnt really exspecting much black maybe red or tan since he was a hetero bull. might has well bought a paint. most inconsistent group of calves i ever raised.

No there is no way to tell what colors you will get. I have paint heifers that I bought. The bull is a paint and the cows were solid. Out of the same bull and solid cows . I have solid heifers. Here an example:
This heifer is out of a paint bull and solid brown cow

12-18-06_023.jpg

This bull calf is out of the same paint bull and a solid brown cow

11-02-06_012.jpg

i have a paint bull (beefmaster) and he has not thown a paint calf yet, even breeed him to a longhorn/limo cross that was a paint, would bet my house that the calf would have been a paint, came out with a light brown with a touch of white on the belly, would have lost my house, now my bulls momma is a paint and every calf she has had is a paint, go figure

like them?

I like the ones that i see around here, and I love the ear in them. easy to handle? good mommas? whats been your experience?

I was kinda under the impression that if you get a black heifer/cow and breed to black bull that you will get a black calf like 2 blacks are dominant or something, is this true. I really like them too there is more and more around here people say.

I like them . Mine are easy to work with. At times they are too friendly and become a pain sometimes. I do have a couple of cows that get witchy sometimes. But I am aware of how they are and they are worked differently . The cows are good mamas. They have plenty of milk for those babies. The ears will get you some major docking at the sale barn and so will the paints. But they are a beautiful animal.

its seems to me like the paints tend to throw more solid brown calves and the paint calves come from somewhere you'd least expect. like for instance my black beefmaster cross cow had a brown and white paint from a solid colored bull.

I love the paints-used to have registered Beefmasters several years ago. I used a red bull with a blaze face on solid red and dun colored cows and every one of them had paint calves. I think they're kind of like Longhorns in the coloring aspect in that you can't really breed for a certain color. Of course that's one of the things that I like about Beefmasters and Longhorns-you never know what you're going to get. The pasture's never boring.

Latest posts