Beckton Red Angus?

Help Support CattleToday:

strihafarms

Reaction score
I am looking at a heifer bull from Beckton RA and I am wondering if anybody is familiar with their cattle. I found a coming two year old that was bought last year and now the owner has sold his cows and is moving out of state. The numbers look good but I haven't went and looked at the bull yet. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Beckton is one of the pioneers of the RA breed. They didn;t ever get away form the traits that have made RA a solid breed. We've used a lot of their bulls (AI) through the years and have been well pleased with the results. Some of their bulls tend to be a little low in milk if you're planning on using them for momma makers.

The original Becktons were dedicated true cattle breeders and am reasonably sure that their abilities and business is probably still carried on by this generation. I would not worry about either the performance and or the genetics as far as Beckton's are involved.

I rarely disagree with Dun but I am an anti milk epd man.....chasing milk is most likely to drive up your fed bill.....
hard milking cows turn into cows that need support....and have trouble breeding back....been there and have the tee shirt....
select sons and daughters of the cows that perform the best in your environment....their progeny will be born adapted to the environment

Bectons are a solid operation as far as I know....

pdfangus":15d3x7j8 said:
I rarely disagree with Dun but I am an anti milk epd man.....chasing milk is most likely to drive up your fed bill.....
hard milking cows turn into cows that need support....and have trouble breeding back....been there and have the tee shirt....
select sons and daughters of the cows that perform the best in your environment....their progeny will be born adapted to the environment

I'm with ya PDF on the milk epd's. I'm striving for semen with average MILK, but that even seems hard to find now in catalogs, everything seems to be top 25% MILK epd

torogmc81":37bszrz9 said:
pdfangus":37bszrz9 said:

I'm with ya PDF on the milk epd's. I'm striving for semen with average MILK, but that even seems hard to find now in catalogs, everything seems to be top 25% MILK epd
Many of the beckton bulls are below breed average for milk, we stay around no more then 10% above breed average and don;t drop below be even that much Our strength has been our heifers/cows. Been told by a number of producers that we have more better cows then bulls.

that 10% above breed average is a number I could live with.....angus cows red or black are maternal and good milkers for the most part anyway....we don't need to make holsteins out of them....

I don't know about the reds but the average of the blacks has gotten way high now from so many breeders chasing it....

pdfangus":2q2buk63 said:
that 10% above breed average is a number I could live with.....angus cows red or black are maternal and good milkers for the most part anyway....we don't need to make holsteins out of them....

I don't know about the reds but the average of the blacks has gotten way high now from so many breeders chasing it....
Reds are 3.9 pounds behind blacks according to the 2013 across breed epd. I'm kind of like you, I think that's a good thing... to the point where all of the angus semen that I've put into my own cows has been red and mostly beckton for the last two breeding seasons. ;-)

Thank you all for your insight. Just for the record the bull I am looking at has milk epd of 20. Pretty good for our environment. Thanks again.

strihafarms":3137v11p said:
Thank you all for your insight. Just for the record the bull I am looking at has milk epd of 20. Pretty good for our environment. Thanks again.
20 would be the absolute highest I would use. If I had a cow that was really low on milk I might go a little higher. We've arrived at the genetics, pretty average for the breed, through culling and breeding to bulls that fall into our criteria with cows that work in our environment and under our managment.

dun":1wdn7lc4 said:
Many of the beckton bulls are below breed average for milk, we stay around no more then 10% above breed average and don;t drop below be even that much Our strength has been our heifers/cows. Been told by a number of producers that we have more better cows then bulls.

ABS has 2 (at least) Beckton RA bulls, 1 has a milk of 10 one of 17. 18 is breed average, problem with him is his calving ease is well below breed average.

Averages and percentiles:
http://redangus.org/genetics/epd-averages

Looks liek a pretty well balanced bull and fine for heifers. That whole original Julian flush has turned out some really good cattle. The past few years we have been using (AI) a bull from that line, use him on heifers nad cows and have gotten some real nice heifers from it.

Got him bought at $2750. Really nice build, long and deep. He does seem to have a little wobble in his hips but I am hoping it is just because it is so slick here right now. I will just have to wait and see. Will try to post pics tonight.

I was just looking through these older posts and this caught my eye because I have recently decided to stick my hand in the Red Angus cookie jar as well and I sure like that new(ish) bull. Did his stumbling straighten up? I sure hope so or that'd be a dern shame.

Latest posts