Bear attack

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":qal3bhp8 said:
And Clinton said there was no sporting use for 30 round clips! :lol:

Never seen a 30 rd clip for a muzzleloader! :lol:

cfpinz

All I know about black powder is that it's extremely volatile. I would think going after a wounded bear would also be extremely volatile, but I don't understand about why black powder in and of itself would elicit your comment. Personally, I have a hard time dealing with someone that doesn't make a clean kill while hunting, altho I know that's not always possible.

Believe it or not, Mr. Burno, I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ by asking you, why is using black powder not the way to hunt a bear?

Alice

Alice":2qfddela said:
Believe it or not, Mr. Burno, I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ by asking you, why is using black powder not the way to hunt a bear?

Alice

I'm not Burno and I didn't read the article, but I sure wouldn't want to hunt a bear with a single shot.

certherfbeef":6e3lwyn0 said:
Alice":6e3lwyn0 said:

Alice

I'm not Burno and I didn't read the article, but I sure wouldn't want to hunt a bear with a single shot.

A single shot centerfire isn;t bad, a muzzle loader would be the pits. Years ago I had a friend that wanted to either stick an arrow or a roundball in bear and wanted me to back him up. I only had a 20ga at the time and I told him he would have to buy me a 12 ga and a box of slugs before I would consider it.

dun

certherfbeef":1ncfw5tf said:
Alice":1ncfw5tf said:

Alice

A single shot centerfire isn;t bad, a muzzle loader would be the pits. Years ago I had a friend that wanted to either stick an arrow or a roundball in bear and wanted me to back him up. I only had a 20ga at the time and I told him he would have to buy me a 12 ga and a box of slugs before I would consider it.

dun

I have taken several black bears with a bow and arrow and found them very easy to kill provided the hit is in the lungs / heart. Bears are carnivours (actually omnivours) so they are built for short bursts of speed to overtake their prey. Therefore their lungs do not need the large air capacity of say a deer. A bullet or arrow through the lungs puts them down in a hurry. The downside is the lungs are smaller in size than a deer even though the animal itself is bigger. This makes for a smaller vital target.

A bad hit usually results in a long tedius tracking job and possibly a follow-up shot is needed. Black bears will run when wounded 99% of the time. It is rare for one to attack. It has been noted that sometimes upon the shot the bear cannot tell from where it came from and he just runs for the nearest cover. That nearest cover may be what is concealing the hunter and when put into close proximity with the hunter the wounded bear will react out of instinct and the hunter could be in trouble.

I have hunted black bear in Canada without a firearm back-up many times and never felt uncomfortable. I have allot of confidence in the killing ability of a razor sharp broadhead.

Caustic Burno":24ti5jlt said:
Hunting a bear with black powder the guy should have been attacked.

got to agree with caustic on this one....3 minutes between rounds does not give you much time to spare....a second round into the head might have been worthwhile....before approaching the carcass....less expensive than the hospital bills i am sure.... :shock:

dun":13380sjd said:
certherfbeef":13380sjd said:
Alice":13380sjd said:

Alice

dun

yeah dun, a 12 guage with belt fed ammo, like a streetsweeper would be about right for me.... :lol:

Alice":3rg1uxl8 said:
All I know about black powder is that it's extremely volatile. I would think going after a wounded bear would also be extremely volatile, but I don't understand about why black powder in and of itself would elicit your comment. Personally, I have a hard time dealing with someone that doesn't make a clean kill while hunting, altho I know that's not always possible.

Alice

Black powder rifles are the old way as is bows and arrows. Both, in my opinion, are outdated and lead to more wounded animals. A good centerfire of proper size will humanily kill an animal quickly. Throwing sticks and lobbing lead with black powder is considered more sporting to some - but I think if you really want sport - try killing one with a rock and sling. :lol: :lol:

A hunting partner of mine has a friend who killed a bear with a homemade spear. A large heavy spear, throwing it down out of a tree stand (almost straight down). Not to be out done my buddy decided to kill one with a rock. So he gets a 50 pound rock into a tree stand 30 feet up a tree. He put a large flat boulder below his stand and poured honey and peanut butter on top of that boulder. He planned to drop his 50 pound rock on the bear's head while it licked the bait. The bear never cooperated by standing in the right place so we never found out if it would work. But if it had he would probably be the first person in a long long time to kill a bear with a rock.
Dave

Dave":2ws312i5 said:
A hunting partner of mine has a friend who killed a bear with a homemade spear. A large heavy spear, throwing it down out of a tree stand (almost straight down). Not to be out done my buddy decided to kill one with a rock. So he gets a 50 pound rock into a tree stand 30 feet up a tree. He put a large flat boulder below his stand and poured honey and peanut butter on top of that boulder. He planned to drop his 50 pound rock on the bear's head while it licked the bait. The bear never cooperated by standing in the right place so we never found out if it would work. But if it had he would probably be the first person in a long long time to kill a bear with a rock.
Dave

Bears can climb trees, right? I'm sorry, rock chunkin' huntin' is dumb, dumb, dumb.

Alice

Dave":9pctjzwc said:
Dave

5 bucks says this guy winds up on the Darwin Awards sooner than later.

cfpinz

I didn't know what Darwin Awards were...so I googled it, and you are quite correct, cfpinz! :D

Rocks, huh? Every once in a while, someone spots a bear around here...and I start to think (there's the problem) that I will look out the kitchen window one evening and see one looking back at me, trying to get into the house, in which case I will grab the nearest cast iron pan and begin mindlessly whacking at it and breaking everything within reach. Everyone says that bears won't come that close to a house, but that pan is handy just in case.

Dave if your buddy was successful killing a bear with a rock, he might want to keep it a secret. If he was to read the game laws booklet for Washington, he would notice a rock isn't a legal method of hunting. He just might find himself in a spot of trouble. ;-)