Face to face with a big black bear

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":2eqx91de said:
greybeard":2eqx91de said:
Saw momma first, made some noise and ran her off after pointer her out to my wife. So I went back to my truck, put my sidearm on, and made my way back to where I left Jessie and Codey.
Ya do know, that everyone that read that just glanced over at your avatar and smiled?
Glad it worked out for ya tho. AFAIK, we don't have any bear here, tho some of the old timers say different.
CB might have a different take on it tho since he lives east of me a good ways.

We have had a few in the Thicket now they are restocking them.
What in the he(( goe's through the TPWD mind sometimes is a mystery.
That is a 300 pound coon.
They dropped a bunch off across the Sabine from us .the first thing the bears did was swim the river . Now every post in east texas has a texas parks and wild life sign that shows a pig and bear . It says know your target and says its 2500 bucks if you shoot one .

Several years ago I was hunting bear in the Payette region of western Idaho. We spotted a big bear down below us and it went into a thicket along a creek. The thicket was basically saplings about 2 to 3" in diameter and as thick as a bamboo patch. You could see the bear moving around by the saplings waving back and forth. My brother in law stayed up on the ridge to direct me with hand signals and I took my Ruger .44 mag and proceeded to crawl into the thicket. I would look up on the ridge when I could and follow hand signals for left, right, forward etc. to get me closer to the bear. I finally got close, maybe 15 yards, from the bear but I couldn't see him it was so thick. I could hear him rooting around and making snuffling noises. About that time I heard a 2nd bear off to my right and then a couple more bouncing around. I looked up at the ridge and my brother in law was jumping up and down, waving his arms for me to back up. I slowly crawled out on my hands and knees. When I got back on the ridge he said a sow with two cubs had come into the thicket from the other side. He could see by the saplings moving that they had got very close to me. I figured my contact with the big male would be hand-shaking distance but I never figured on adding a female with cubs to that equation. Yes I know......I had more guts than brains. I don't have those nerves anymore or maybe I am just wiser. I had just got back from a combat mission in Panama and felt bulletproof. If the wind had shifted or contact had been made it could have gotten ugly. One of the dumber things that I have done.......which is quite a long list.

Ryder":h0hibflk said:
Hoss sometimes you just make me nervous. :hide:

I used to be an adrenaline junky. Not so much anymore. I guess getting older and having kids is a natural calming agent. If it was exciting (or stupid) I have probably tried it from skydiving, hangliding, hunting, fast roping, rapelling and a thousand other things to raise the heart rate. Now I try not to take too many chances......I don't hit the ground as easy as I once did. Matter fact I don't get up as easy either. I do still have the dream of bow hunting the big 5 in Africa. Maybe when my ship comes in I can afford to do that :(

I've been around tons of them including sows with cubs and there's never been a problem. I had one sneak up and steal a sack of grain from me that I was using as a pillow once and I hit him pretty good on the second tug since I thought he was one of the horses... If he'd of wanted to he could have killed me but that never crossed his mind.
The closest that I've come to a problem was with a BIG male. I tied up my horse and walked down into a spring that's one way in and one way out and accidentaly cornered him down there getting a drink. He huffed and pumped his front end a few times but as soon as I turned around to leave he just watched me go. I waited for him to come out and he strolled past like it was no big deal and then I went back down and cleaned the springbox.

Hook, what general area do you have leased? I have a hunting lease on Babcock Ranch, and have seen bear for the first time in my life. There is a HUGE male that I have hundreds of pictures of, and also some Florida panther pics. So far, I have seen a smaller boar, one female, and yearling. Pretty cool. I live in Hardee County. Babcock is in Charlotte/Lee County

bear5.jpg

Sorry I didn't see your question. I've got leased land and my land in Seminole county and waiting to get my hands on a big piece in Orange County. It's comin, just another matter of patience.
There isn't a legal hunting season on bears, but I'm of the opinion that we are at a point where we need a limited tag/ lottery based system for them now. There's more and more of them and they no longer fear people. They just see us as a food source

They turned black bears loose not far from our place. I don't know why they would want to do that.
I hear the penalty is pretty severe if you shoot one. But I suspect that only appplies if they catch you. ;-)

Some of you guys are making "BLACK" bears as being bad a$$ animals. We have a bunch out here in the NW, been involved with a bunch. While they are neat to see, they're nocturnal, they're not usually that bad. I used to archery hunt a lot, ran into them from time to time, been within 20 yards a few times, give them room and they take off, sow and cubs may be a problem. I should explain I hunted western Oregon, I stalked, covered a couple of hundred yards in an hour or so, more listening and being quiet than anything else, saw lots of game. But hard to see more than a couple hundred feet off the trail. They want less to do with you than you want with them, they're a long way from being Grizzlies, which we don't have here. To make my point I been part of a camp that beat them away from our coolers with boat oars, chased them down the road out of camp, a few times i just let them have a look and they turned and walk away, never a problem, still don't concern me, except being a pest. Not trying to sound macho, just stating a fact, black bears are not dangerous most of the time, leave sows and cubs alone, and don't wound or corner one, no problems....... Most of the time.

True but you granola eaters see them all the time. We don't. ;-) yours must be high on that high dollars weed you all grow out west

hooknline":3buq8rzc said:
True but you granola eaters see them all the time. We don't. ;-) yours must be high on that high dollars weed you all grow out west

I know you know my marijuana comments were tongue in cheek. ;-) yes we may see more black bears than some folks, but the first thing your bear did was run up a tree. I'm more worried about a big stray dog than a BLACK bear. 98% will run up a tree or run away when they see you. Oh, keep your gators, poison snakes, pythons and hurricanes. I'll take mud and rain. :lol:

:tiphat:
Alan

Latest posts