Termite attack

Help Support CattleToday:

CindSein

Reaction score
Hi friends,
Termite Attack! Seriously my wardrobe is under termite attack. It is made from wood. Although I sprayed a termiticide, it didn't work. Now mulling over changing the wardrobe. What type of material would be termite proof? It was saddening when my favorite floral dress which I bought from Burberry was under termite attack. It was a peach color western top (my favorite color). Yesterday, when I opened the shelf to wear that top, I was shell shocked to see holes in the dress. Are there any ways to prevent it. I'm planning to replace the wardrobe with custom cabinets. So I would like to know about it. Please pour in your ideas. Thank you.

CindSein":33ftocei said:
Hi friends,
Termite Attack! Seriously my wardrobe is under termite attack. It is made from wood. Although I sprayed a termiticide, it didn't work. Now mulling over changing the wardrobe. What type of material would be termite proof? It was saddening when my favorite floral dress which I bought from Burberry was under termite attack. It was a peach color western top (my favorite color). Yesterday, when I opened the shelf to wear that top, I was shell shocked to see holes in the dress. Are there any ways to prevent it. I'm planning to replace the wardrobe with custom cabinets. So I would like to know about it. Please pour in your ideas. Thank you.
WTH, termites are getting your clothes, or are you calling your dresser a wardrobe? But then you mention a dress termites are eating...Termites like moisture....they don't eat dry stuff so maybe you need to check for water leaks maybe? I dunno, I just find this post kind of strange....

cowgirl8":n6s5ftf9 said:
WTH, termites are getting your clothes, or are you calling your dresser a wardrobe? But then you mention a dress termites are eating...Termites like moisture....they don't eat dry stuff so maybe you need to check for water leaks maybe? I dunno, I just find this post kind of strange....
'Wardrobe' is a term for a piece of furniture that was very popular at one time and still is many places. Other names for the same thing are armoir and chiffarobe. It took/takes the place of a closet.
IKEA still sells them.
Some had drawers on one side and a place to hang clothes on the other..some were just for hanging clothes.

A vintage wardrobe:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/d1/f7/77/d1f7 ... rdrobe.jpg

I used to have a very heavy one that came out of my grandmother's house. Son has it now.

If you got termites in yo house and furniture,,, chances are great they're all over and under your house... More then a piece of furniture...if you can afford to.call pest control....

CindSein":13kb5jex said:
Hi friends,
But then stated that they said a dress is under attack.

I'm going to guess this person has moths and not termites....Those outfits may have had wool in them.

cowgirl8":yic7hv83 said:
CindSein":yic7hv83 said:
Hi friends,
But then stated that they said a dress is under attack.
I'm planning to replace the wardrobe with custom cabinets.
I'm pretty sure she doesn't intend to wear 'custom cabinets'.

CindSein":1zysnp69 said:
Now mulling over changing the wardrobe. What type of material would be termite proof?

Mine are cedar. Simple. I put shelves in them and use the little plastic tubs instead of drawers. Took my chest of drawers completely out.

They had two more of those wardrobes for sale at a Burleson antique shop. I couldn't resist.

Cedar seems to be the material moths and bugs avoid.

Rafter S":3q190u9v said:
cowgirl8":3q190u9v said:
She doesn't mention its eating the wood, just her clothes... moths...

Copied and pasted from the OP: "my wardrobe is under termite attack. It is made from wood"
My first comment questions this...The whole post makes no sense....

cowgirl8":fvrvqnkc said:
Rafter S":fvrvqnkc said:
cowgirl8":fvrvqnkc said:

Copied and pasted from the OP: "my wardrobe is under termite attack. It is made from wood"

Then why did you say "She doesn't mention its eating the wood, just her clothes"?

Edit: On the other hand, never mind. I give up.

Rafter S":tb8dbuct said:
cowgirl8":tb8dbuct said:
Rafter S":tb8dbuct said:

Then why did you say "She doesn't mention its eating the wood, just her clothes"?

Edit: On the other hand, never mind. I give up.
See this is the perfect example....you guys keep bringing it up...Let it gooooooooo let it goooooooo

cowgirl8":385d5yln said:
Rafter S":385d5yln said:
cowgirl8":385d5yln said:

. I think your ( gulp). Right about the moths... :cowboy:

We simply answered the questions that were asked.

I did not see anything mysterious or questionable about the OP's post. According to the study manual I have from my applicator's license, there are 3 different kinds of termites in North America. Dry wood termites, Damp wood termites, and subterranean termites. Subterranean termites cause most of the damage in the US (70%), followed by dry wood termites (30%), and wet wood termites cause the least damage (about 10%).

They'll eat anything with cellulose in it. When I was a teenager, we had an old very heavy player piano, that sat in a bedroom for years. We went to move it one day, and a leg and part of the side just broke off. Full of termites.

Dunno if OP's ruined clothes were cotton, but it's at least conceivable that with cotton's high cellulose content that termites got it, but there are all kinds of different bugs that will eat fabric. Even roaches.
If I remember correctly, termites are more closely related to roaches than they are ants.

Latest posts