BBU E-6 Program

Help Support CattleToday:

skyline

Reaction score
Anybody out there particpating in the BBU (beefmaster) E-6 program? Commercial beefmaster replacement heifers. Must be certified by a BBU inspector to be 50% beefmaster - out of a registered momma or bull. They have an annual replacement sale each Spring in Columbus, Texas. I'm considering this program, and would just like to know if anyone else is participating in it.

skyline":trt9ense said:
Anybody out there particpating in the BBU (beefmaster) E-6 program? Commercial beefmaster replacement heifers. Must be certified by a BBU inspector to be 50% beefmaster - out of a registered momma or bull. They have an annual replacement sale each Spring in Columbus, Texas. I'm considering this program, and would just like to know if anyone else is participating in it.
im not in the E6 program.but i do know a little about it.to qualify as E6 the cows an their calves must be certafied by BBU as E6s.an have the E6 certs.an todo this the BBU rep has to look at your cattle.as for the E6 sale. you submitt the cattle you want to consign.an the E6 rep will come out an look at them.an tell you if they meet the E6 sale guiedlines.they like to take pens of 5.heifers must calve as 2yr olds.an the like cows no older than 4yrs old.they will also take a seclect group of open heifers.put really want pairs or bred heifers or cows.

Do you know where to find the sale results for the last few years E6 sales on the web? I had heard that they sale real well there. I'm trying to decide if it makes sense to gear my little operation in that direction. At most, I would be selling 10 to 20 yearling heifers per year when I get fully ramped up.

On a broader note, for an operator with about 40 commercial beefmaster momma cows and 2 registered beefmaster bulls, does selling replacement heifers as yearlings and sending steers to the feedlot (retained ownership) make sense? Or should a fellow with that size of an operation send all of the calves to the sale barn?

skyline":2dsyy1q0 said:
Do you know where to find the sale results for the last few years E6 sales on the web? I had heard that they sale real well there. I'm trying to decide if it makes sense to gear my little operation in that direction. At most, I would be selling 10 to 20 yearling heifers per year when I get fully ramped up.

On a broader note, for an operator with about 40 commercial beefmaster momma cows and 2 registered beefmaster bulls, does selling replacement heifers as yearlings and sending steers to the feedlot (retained ownership) make sense? Or should a fellow with that size of an operation send all of the calves to the sale barn?
trying to remember last years E6 sale ave off the top of my head.last year i read where they ave $1100 to $1300 a pair.open heifers seem like $800 to $900.cant remember the bred cow prices.personally i wouldnt rtetain ownership of my steers an heifers in the feedlot.to much risk involved.an you could loose money.you might could sale your steers to nolan ryans feedlot.he has beefmaster beef.as for the heifers.idd only keep the very best to go back into the herd.meaning id cull my heifers very heavy.have you thought about buying some reg cows or bred heifers.

bigbull338":9fkul6ju said:
skyline":9fkul6ju said:
have you thought about buying some reg cows or bred heifers.

I have a few registered beefmaster cows in my little herd and yes I have thought about buying more, but here's my concern. I work off the place full time (plus some) and barely have time to manage what I've got. I'm concerned that if I try to go with registered stock, I'll increase my workload in the area of record-keeping, marketing and traveling to special sales. I was wondering if participating in the E6 program and selling my good yearling heifers at the annual Columbus sale would allow me to capture more profit than using the sale barn, without requiring too much extra time. Balancing act, you know? Job, family, cows, etc... I've been blessed in all those areas. I just have to be careful about time.

skyline":1qub2bq4 said:
bigbull338":1qub2bq4 said:
skyline":1qub2bq4 said:

I have a few registered beefmaster cows in my little herd and yes I have thought about buying more, but here's my concern. I work off the place full time (plus some) and barely have time to manage what I've got. I'm concerned that if I try to go with registered stock, I'll increase my workload in the area of record-keeping, marketing and traveling to special sales. I was wondering if participating in the E6 program and selling my good yearling heifers at the annual Columbus sale would allow me to capture more profit than using the sale barn, without requiring too much extra time. Balancing act, you know? Job, family, cows, etc... I've been blessed in all those areas. I just have to be careful about time.
yes the columbus sale would allow you todo that.an yes having reg cattle is a headache.as well as alot of time an hard work.keeping up with the papers an such an reging the calves.im in the process of trying to buy reg beefmasters.if i can find what im looking for.

skyline":3qjl2m16 said:
bigbull338":3qjl2m16 said:
if i can find what im looking for.

What kind are you looking for?
reg beefmastersbred cows pairs or 3 in 1s.with good breeding behind them.to raise top end heifers an bulls.

bigbull338":2zzfio88 said:
skyline":2zzfio88 said:
bigbull338":2zzfio88 said:

reg beefmastersbred cows pairs or 3 in 1s.with good breeding behind them.to raise top end heifers an bulls.

I got my bull from ISA Cattle Company. http://www.isacattleco.com and I really like him. He's working great for me, but I'm not trying to build a registered herd. They have an annual spring female sale and a fall bull sale.

skyline":3kycsnmu said:
bigbull338":3kycsnmu said:
skyline":3kycsnmu said:
bigbull338":3kycsnmu said:

I got my bull from ISA Cattle Company. http://www.isacattleco.com and I really like him. He's working great for me, but I'm not trying to build a registered herd. They have an annual spring female sale and a fall bull sale.
ISA cattle company has some great beefmasters.to high for my pocket book thats for sure.as well as 300mi or so from me.

Besides the field inspection to be E6 certified, are there any vet checks etc. that are required to participate in the sale?

kb5iod":36m3zocv said:
Besides the field inspection to be E6 certified, are there any vet checks etc. that are required to participate in the sale?

not sure about that. I've got a brochure from bbu around here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

kb5iod":7600rdom said:

Here's a link to bbu that gives information on the program.

http://www.beefmasters.org/pages/index.php?page_id=30

Best I can tell from the info that I have, a vet check is not required, although surely they have some minimum herd health requirements.

skyline":1blq6p30 said:
bigbull338":1blq6p30 said:
skyline":1blq6p30 said:

I might be interested in some of those e6 heifers.

kb5iod":26bgdmpc said:
http://beefmasters.org/news/view_details.php?news_id=2

This is from a past sale but gives some information about age requirements and past sale averages.

Pairs averaged over $1700 and bred females averaged $1242 while open heifers sold for an average of $976 in the 2005 sale.”

Thanks, that was what I was looking for. Looks good to me.

kb5iod":2bom2e86 said:
What about commission at the sales?
i think its like $40 a hd fee after your cows or accepted.plus some comm.most barns charge 5% comm.so on $1700 it be $85 comm a hd.

bigbull338":ul54ywt1 said:
i think its like $40 a hd fee after your cows or accepted.plus some comm.most barns charge 5% comm.so on $1700 it be $85 comm a hd.

Are the cows accepted at the sale or before? For instance, you wouldn't have to haul them to the sale hoping they will let them in would you?

Latest posts