Starting A Program

Help Support CattleToday:

Kaden

Reaction score
I am planning to add a few registered Angus females to start my registered herd. My question is what programs would you focus on to build off of? I am interested in Ohlde Cattle Company, Yon Family Farms, SAV, Sitz, and Connealy. I am wanting to develop an easy fleshing, good udder, good feet, moderate frame, good fertility, and longevity female. I am wanting feed efficient cattle that can thrive on grass.
Thanks in Advance

It is your dime so with that in mind I would recommend only buying inventory from cows 10 years or older.
That should go a long way to establish longevity, fertility and feet. May I assume you are considering marketing some bulls?
Uniformity of size, growth rate and ribeye area will come into play for value on your calves. It will be to your advantage to know
the stats on your current stock and adjust accordingly. PS With fertility being a #1 priority only keep heifers born in the 1st 30 days
of the calving season. Best wishes for your continued success,,,,

The breeders you mention all have reputations -- I'm not sure I would group them all together in terms of what their individual programs offer and sell (their environments, feed management, breeding programs are different imo).

I'm sure there are reputable breeders near your location (OK) that would be wise places to consult and possibly purchase stock. However, between AI and ET technology -- there are many ways to skin the cow so to speak.

What are your resources? What kind of pasture? What kind of hay ground? Working facilities? Are you selling yearlings? What are you doing with the calves that don't make the cut?

I have admired bulls the Sitz program for a while but am only dipping my toe in the water now with Sitz Stellar this coming breeding season. I have used some of the SAV bulls and have been very happy with the results however I always take a hit with their EBV numbers especially IMF and often BW and calving ease numbers so often have to use something to improve that. This is a bit superficial on my part but being small time people that buy from me want calving ease as most don't live where their cattle are so want reassurance with the numbers that they won't have trouble with calving, they say they don't take any notice of the numbers however they pick a bull out and then say to me, "he'll be OK on heifers, won't he?" I am transitioning to selling heifers PTIC and will only keep a couple of bulls for my own use and then sell when I'm finished with them so I will be able to concentrate more on what I like than worry about numbers in the future.
I have used a Connealy bull and would like to use more however their availability seems to have dried up here.

Ken

The breeders you mention all have reputations -- I'm not sure I would group them all together in terms of what their individual programs offer and sell (their environments, feed management, breeding programs are different imo).

I'm sure there are reputable breeders near your location (OK) that would be wise places to consult and possibly purchase stock. However, between AI and ET technology -- there are many ways to skin the cow so to speak.

What are your resources? What kind of pasture? What kind of hay ground? Working facilities? Are you selling yearlings? What are you doing with the calves that don't make the cut?
Our pastures mainly consist of native grasses same with our hay. Our facilities aren't the best but are fine to manage a cow calf operation. I plan to sell bulls and heifers that make the cut and the calves that don't will be sold as feeder cattle at auction.

I would concentrate on "easy fleshing, good udder, good feet, moderate frame, good fertility, and longevity" traits more so than prefix. The big boys don't use their own genetics exclusively. They dip into the outside gene pool using bulls from other programs. I suspect that they all have to cull a good bit, so a prefix does not guarantee success on every animal. If you have commercial females now, you might consider purchasing some embryos of matings and genetics that have proven to have merit. That might be a workable plan in addition to purchasing females directly. Purchased females from the programs you mentioned are likely to require a premium to acquire. Embryos or purchased females, expect to cull to get those traits that work for you and your situation.

Our pastures mainly consist of native grasses same with our hay. Our facilities aren't the best but are fine to manage a cow calf operation. I plan to sell bulls and heifers that make the cut and the calves that don't will be sold as feeder cattle at auction.
If you are selling seedstock than it is all about relationships and reputation. Hard to make and easy to lose. It can be done though. There is some good advice in this thread. Look for cattle that work in YOUR operation and environment. I'm still learning and making adjustments and I've been doing this awhile.

Be careful buying females from seedstock providers -- they are usually culls for a reason. Another word of warning -- ask about diseases (like Johnes) -- you can lose a lot of money if a purchased animal brings in a disease.

If you are selling seedstock than it is all about relationships and reputation. Hard to make and easy to lose. It can be done though. There is some good advice in this thread. Look for cattle that work in YOUR operation and environment. I'm still learning and making adjustments and I've been doing this awhile.

Be careful buying females from seedstock providers -- they are usually culls for a reason. Another word of warning -- ask about diseases (like Johnes) -- you can lose a lot of money if a purchased animal brings in a disease.
Good advice. Also know a seedstock producer will never (or almost never) let you top their herd. Keeping the best for yourself is just
a basic rule of survival...

I am planning to add a few registered Angus females to start my registered herd. My question is what programs would you focus on to build off of? I am interested in Ohlde Cattle Company, Yon Family Farms, SAV, Sitz, and Connealy. I am wanting to develop an easy fleshing, good udder, good feet, moderate frame, good fertility, and longevity female. I am wanting feed efficient cattle that can thrive on grass.
Thanks in Advance

So you are going to be breeding for exactly what every other stockman breeds for... and doing it in a breed that has some of the most heritable genetic anomalies due to a lack of genetic diversity. And why Angus in particular? Because of the lack of competition?

So you are going to be breeding for exactly what every other stockman breeds for... and doing it in a breed that has some of the most heritable genetic anomalies due to a lack of genetic diversity. And why Angus in particular? Because of the lack of competition?
Why wouldn't you breed for a perfect cow like I described? I raise Gelbvieh currently and Angus compliments Gelbvieh very well if I choose to cross them. In very few places you will find a lack of Angus cattle. Angus has there problems, but so does every other breed. Everyone starts somewhere and competition is almost inevitable.

I have no idea about the breeders you've listed other then looking at one's web site. I would look for pedigrees stacked with the breeders own genetics. Too many turn and burn pedigrees any more full of the latest and greatest.

Buy stock from well-proven bulls that have females in production and can be judged on how THEY produce. I would avoid stock out of a young, unproven bull no matter what. Many of the "bull of the month club" members fizzle out after a few years because their offspring don't live up to the billing. Look for strong maternally based females to start your registered herd. A few examples might include those sired by Hoover Dam if you can find any, and S A V Density females are great cows in general. I also like S S Niagara, a son out of Hoover Dam who a lot of people love his females in production.

As jscunn mentioned in his latest thread, look for that slick hair coat. Kit Pharo says that if most people selected replacements based on hair coat alone they would most likely do a better job than they are currently. I don't agree with him on everything but I will on that point.

I'd add Green Garden Angus to the list, and would probably lean hard toward them and Ohlde genetics, based on what you've said your goals were, and what your forage base is.

Last Angus bull we had was by a Connealy bull, out of an 878 daughter; really nice bull, made great daughters and decent steers. But... he brought his very own genetic defect along for the ride.

SAV produces some tremendous numbered cattle... but my understanding is that the creep feeders there are never empty.... and that's fine... it's just different from what the management scheme was here...

Green Garden's 2022 bull sale catalog had a lot of Gardiner influence. I hope they keep their original lines going.

Check with @gizmom on these boards. She breeds for functional, good working momma cows with great genetics.
I disagree about seedstock breeders not selling their best. I always sell my best if someone is willing to pay what they are worth - IF I have the factory. If not, they pay more.
Did you happen to see the pictures of what I posted in the Breeds Board.? Take a look. That is absolutely the best yearling (and possibly animal) on the farm. Also, the best cow/calf pair and the best fall heifer calf. They would be my complete show string if I kept them. And not a shabby 4 yr old cow with a great heifer calf.
As long as you keep your top production cows (factories) you can sell your best.