Starting A Program

Help Support CattleToday:

It is your dime so with that in mind I would recommend only buying inventory from cows 10 years or older.
That should go a long way to establish longevity, fertility and feet. May I assume you are considering marketing some bulls?
Uniformity of size, growth rate and ribeye area will come into play for value on your calves. It will be to your advantage to know
the stats on your current stock and adjust accordingly. PS With fertility being a #1 priority only keep heifers born in the 1st 30 days
of the calving season. Best wishes for your continued success,,,,
It is very easy to get kicked out of the certified angus beef program with too big of ribeye. Quality grade without excessive back fat is where the money is on the grid. Starting with old cows is definitely the way to go. They will actually have lower fall out rates than heifers in most cases. I wouldn't focus on size with the old cows; if they made it ten years and have the traits you want you can always find semen on a bigger or smaller bull to breed them to. Consistency matters on feeders, but not so much when someone is buying a bull. Eventually you want to aim your herd in the direction of your ideal animal and develop a herd identity, but the basic building blocks need to be in place.

Not discounting what you posted. I try to keep mature cow weight under 1200 and no more than a 5 frame bull.
I would use a 4 frame bull but so many breeders cull them in favor of the larger animal or so it seems to me,
I try to do what works for me and assume you do the same for yourself. good luck

Not discounting what you posted. I try to keep mature cow weight under 1200 and no more than a 5 frame bull.
I would use a 4 frame bull but so many breeders cull them in favor of the larger animal or so it seems to me,
I try to do what works for me and assume you do the same for yourself. good luck
I'm just thinking he is going to have a hard time of putting together enough older cows that meet his initial criteria. I would really just look at production records and feet, udders, and dispositions on the first cows and not even look at epds.

You need a market before you get stocked up on merchandise. The sale barn is your salvage outlet.

Getting into the purebred business takes time to develop a market. Don't be disappointed when you can't get a sale price like what you had to PAY for your PB animals. Takes building a reputation. But, if you keep your cattle structurally sound, easy keepers and fertile myrtles, you should do well in the future.

Getting into the purebred business takes time to develop a market. Don't be disappointed when you can't get a sale price like what you had to PAY for your PB animals. Takes building a reputation. But, if you keep your cattle structurally sound, easy keepers and fertile myrtles, you should do well in the future.
That's some really good very basic advice Jeanne. It's like a lot of things in life that seem complicated, they are really just a combination of basic simple things.

Ken

I am planning to add a few registered Angus females to start my registered herd. My question is what programs would you focus on to build off of? I am interested in Ohlde Cattle Company, Yon Family Farms, SAV, Sitz, and Connealy. I am wanting to develop an easy fleshing, good udder, good feet, moderate frame, good fertility, and longevity female. I am wanting feed efficient cattle that can thrive on grass.
Thanks in Advance
Figure out how you will market the animals produced. Figure out what those customers want. Find a seedstock producer that has been selling to that kind of customer in your area. Decide if they have a plan and have a good reputation.

If they are just using a bunch of AI bulls from big names that aren't in your area, you will have the same half-unadapted commodity all the other small seedstock guys are selling. If the goal is to sell some bulls every year, this is a proven method and should work with relative ease of marketing. If you are hoping to increase profit margin, this is probably the simplest way. At a minimum, buy the cows from a local breeder so they are mostly adapted to what you will put in front of them.

To build your own "program" is a completely different path that takes a lot longer, is a lot more work, and is probably less profitable in the near future.

Figure out how you will market the animals produced. Figure out what those customers want. Find a seedstock producer that has been selling to that kind of customer in your area. Decide if they have a plan and have a good reputation.

If they are just using a bunch of AI bulls from big names that aren't in your area, you will have the same half-unadapted commodity all the other small seedstock guys are selling. If the goal is to sell some bulls every year, this is a proven method and should work with relative ease of marketing. If you are hoping to increase profit margin, this is probably the simplest way. At a minimum, buy the cows from a local breeder so they are mostly adapted to what you will put in front of them.

To build your own "program" is a completely different path that takes a lot longer, is a lot more work, and is probably less profitable in the near future.
Remember: ''A good reputation can lag 20 years behind you but you will never be fast enough to catch up to your own notarity.''
Told to me many years ago by a man I can only hope to emanulate, My Dad

Latest posts