barbed or no barbed wire fence

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
so I been thinkin...fixing fence lately and t sucks..barb wire is mans hell...cows lean on it like it isn't barbed at all. stretch against it so hard theylll brek the pole..all I get is cut to hell and alotta ruined clothes...pita to twist..wrap etc...I know its the most popular except maybe in horse land..but why..i mean...cows don't seem to care either way

What kind of barbed wire? When I've used 12.5 gauge "regular" fence (only once), I see what you see. They act like it's barely a bother.
Everything else is 6 strands of 15.5 gauge HT (Gaucho) and as long as it's tight they stay away from it. Electric isn't an option for me.

yeah yeah.. I have always used 4 pt gaucho...just wonder whats the point..they lean thru that stuff like its hardly there..i had to put the twists in between 12 ft spacing..5 strands..they aren't getting out..but dang.. I don't slack much on upkeep...its tight enough....wondered why ,,thanks fence..know I know...loll

callmefence said:
This is tight . Notice it hasn't been tied yet.

how close are those barbs..i think mine is 4 or 6 inch spacing......but I know I have both..and they lay on it like its smooth wire..meanwhile its ripping every shred of clothing off my body

dieselbeef said:
callmefence said:
This is tight . Notice it hasn't been tied yet.

how close are those barbs..i think mine is 4 or 6 inch spacing......but I know I have both..and they lay on it like its smooth wire..meanwhile its ripping every shred of clothing off my body

5" and are you sure the problem is your fence and not your grass.??

The fences that I have been redoing (Exterier fences) I been running 4 stands of barb wire and two strains of smooth ht with juice on it. That why the cows want touch it and if I decide to run sheep again then they will stay in to.

I have no problem with tight barb wire. All new fences I'm putting in now are all 900mm (3') of woven wire and two strands of barb above it and with good drill pipe end assemblies like Fence has taught me they are tight and very good. The cows just don't put their heads between the barb and the netting to reach for grass. Posts are 5m (16') apart. The netting is good to deter the roos and young calves don't go through it.

It is just so good having those good end assemblies as you strain them up with confidence without any movement between doing a bottom wire and top wire. I did invest in a wire tensionometer. I find it good especially on long runs where you can always get a bit more stretch out of the wire and I know when I'm done now.

Ken

I dont mess with 4 barb. It's a pia and not worth the hassel. When I have to repair fence I use the 2 strand barbless wire so I dont have to mess with the barbs.

I dont stress over tight wires. I like close posts which solves most of the wire issues. A lot of this country you cant pull the wires that tight any ways. It's easier to just sell the cows than fix the fence.

kenny thomas said:
2 strands of slick hot high tensile. Haven't had a cow or bull go through it in years.

What kind of fence charger do you use?
I run a Gallagher M1500s it's 15 stored joules.

SBMF 2015 said:
kenny thomas said:
2 strands of slick hot high tensile. Haven't had a cow or bull go through it in years.

What kind of fence charger do you use?
I run a Gallagher M1500s it's 15 stored joules.

Taylor Fence Co. Cyclops
SUPER model; 16 joules stored
Made in America. Best service I have ever gotten on a purchase in last 20 years.
Great charger. Hot as dynamite.
Had lightning blow one up. Had it back within 48 hours of sending it out. When you call them, you get a good ol boy on the other end of the line that knows what the h*'ll he is talking about.

M.Magis said:
What kind of barbed wire? When I've used 12.5 gauge "regular" fence (only once), I see what you see. They act like it's barely a bother.
Everything else is 6 strands of 15.5 gauge HT (Gaucho) and as long as it's tight they stay away from it. Electric isn't an option for me.
Gaucho is all that I use for 4 reasons: It's lighter weight to handle and cheaper to buy. The barbs are like 6" apart and 2 barb works as good (for me) as 4 barb with a lot less hassle. I have fence that's been up over 30 years and the zinc plating is still intact, on the wire AND on the barbs. I can't get around it without drawing blood.....from me.....Cows respect it.

Edlt: 5 reasons: It doesn't stretch! Get it tight, well anchored corner posts, it stays tight.

yea its nature of the biz....I don't have loose cows out and my fence is good..but its fl..and no matter how long that corner been built..even a dbl h will pull in if it tight enough...I space 12 ft and use twists...but I still see em pushing between..just laying on the wire....

the thought of the post was how they just lay across those barbs and doesn't bother em much while its cutting me to ribbons...it doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent so why I should suffer is what I'm saying...

I'm using 12.5ga HT for my new projects or total rebuilds where I have a significant length of run, shorter runs i'll do in barbed.

Latest posts