barbed or no barbed wire fence

Help Support CattleToday:

I have netting and and on top one plain wire and very top is barb that has been there 40 years or so.

Lot of grass on other side. Not one animal has put head over barb, but I have 1 offset hot wire at knee height. Some sheep will put heads under in spots. But this has kept goats and both types of sheep and all cattle off every fence.

Also, when the older cattle first arrive, I kept them in an area to train them to keep away from fence and any temp fence I put up in poly, they learn pretty quick.

This means you only have to deal with accidents when they may be pushing each other, but usually it is just some bending of offsets or shorting something out.

Oh, also, in the training area, top is not barb, top is a hot smooth wire, so they learn not to stick head onto top of fences.

hot wires...lol..aint happening around here...lol..how do you deal with that when ya got trees and fence going thru woods and paturelines growing 4 ft tall...fl sand don't ground well

dieselbeef said:
hot wires...lol..aint happening around here...lol..how do you deal with that when ya got trees and fence going thru woods and paturelines growing 4 ft tall...fl sand don't ground well

You can add a ground wire or two that runs the entire length of the fence with the hot wires. When the animal touches both the ground wire and the hot wire it is just as effective.

Woods and trees are a problem no matter the kind of fence. Hi tensile electric is really easy to fix. And once they get bit a time or three, they won't fool with it even if it's off for a few days.

But you will have to clean up the fence rows. I know exactly what you're dealing with. Farm I'm working on now was/is grown up really bad. I do one section at the time and keep working around. Been working on it two years now. My goal is to do it right the first time so I won't have to clean any of it twice. Once it's done one time, herbicide and a little maintenance will keep it under control. Good luck to you in your endeavor.

JMJ Farms said:
dieselbeef said:

You can add a ground wire or two that runs the entire length of the fence with the hot wires. When the animal touches both the ground wire and the hot wire it is just as effective.

Woods and trees are a problem no matter the kind of fence. Hi tensile electric is really easy to fix. And once they get bit a time or three, they won't fool with it even if it's off for a few days.

But you will have to clean up the fence rows. I know exactly what you're dealing with. Farm I'm working on now was/is grown up really bad. I do one section at the time and keep working around. Been working on it two years now. My goal is to do it right the first time so I won't have to clean any of it twice. Once it's done one time, herbicide and a little maintenance will keep it under control. Good luck to you in your endeavor.

JMJ you're correct!
Grazon along a fence line works wonders.
I like Parmak chargers.

Caustic Burno said:
JMJ Farms said:
dieselbeef said:

JMJ you're correct!
Grazon along a fence line works wonders.
I like Parmak chargers.

CB, I've got a couple of Parmak 6 volt solar chargers. They have served me well. Bought a DARE AC charger the other day. So far so good. Only 1.? Joules but it's hot with 4 ground rods. I needed one quick and that's all that was local. Been looking at Taylor fence company's chargers. They look to be real good, but pricey. 32 joule charger is around $1k. But it will do the whole farm that I want it for. Also have a coupe of the real small cheap AC chargers. They work fine for gardens and small areas. I started having much better luck with energizers once I fully understood the importance and function of a correct grounding system. (Oh, and water hose is not an insulator. Thought it would work. Learned that one the hard way)

Latest posts