Banded bull calf issue?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
We banded a new bull calf when he was 12 hours old. He is doing great but has about a 4-5 inch whitish hanging either from his penis or where the cord was--it's in that area. The other bull calf we haven't banded yet doesn't have this and his cord is dried up. Normal or a problem? He doesn't seem to care and nurses great. When he takes a pee mama licks it.

tncattle said:
We banded a new bull calf when he was 12 hours old. He is doing great but has about a 4-5 inch whitish hanging either from his penis or where the cord was--it's in that area. The other bull calf we haven't banded yet doesn't have this and his cord is dried up. Normal or a problem? He doesn't seem to care and nurses great. When he takes a pee mama licks it.[/quote]

and therin lies the problem. She won't let his cord dry up. had one like that this past year. Eventually she will give up.

no, my friend poured a little peroxide on it today. But, he never has put any iodine on them in the past with no problems

tncattle":qtxebvtl said:
no, my friend poured a little peroxide on it today. But, he never has put any iodine on them in the past with no problems

Iodine not only cleans the naval but it helps dry up the cord . I find new moms can be a little too over zealous with grooming their newborns and the iodine seems to deter them from sucking on the navel cord a little bit as well as speeds up the drying process .

Iodine not only cleans the naval but it helps dry up the cord . I find new moms can be a little too over zealous with grooming their newborns and the iodine seems to deter them from sucking on the navel cord a little bit as well as speeds up the drying process .
Yes, as Hillsdown said dip the navels after birth. A dipper for dipping cows' teats after milking works good, but a cup will work too. We do sometimes get cows that lick some of the iodine off again, but some will stay on and help anyway. (Its also funny watching the cows' faces when they lick the iodine!)
Jenna

Trim it to an inch long and check for swelling, often the cow licks too much because there is infection. I always trim the cords to an inch (no shorter) at birth to relieve mama of worrying about it and licking unnecessarily--long cords drive them nuts (and do the iodine dip--which doesn't always prevent an umbilical infection as you would think it would--I guess it would if you do it before the cord touches the ground).