Baling this late?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
I'm in SE Central Texas and several of us were debating whether to bale one more time before winter or just graze it until the grass runs dry.

I'm thinking of grazing until the grass goes dormant, late November early Dec., avoiding the cost of baling. I'm thinking if I baled now, I would have to feed hay much eariler.

Others say this is the best baling - nutrient wise - of the year. If we baled now, would that damage the pasture for the spring? Also, it looks like we will be getting routine enough rain that baling may be risky.

What do y'all think?

Just depends.. if you got enough hay already for your winter feedings, then I would just graze it.

I'm going to bale this month. Drying the hay may be next to impossible but....

Dusty Britches":2t59s3ep said:
I'm in SE Central Texas and several of us were debating whether to bale one more time before winter or just graze it until the grass runs dry.

I'm thinking of grazing until the grass goes dormant, late November early Dec., avoiding the cost of baling. I'm thinking if I baled now, I would have to feed hay much eariler.

Others say this is the best baling - nutrient wise - of the year. If we baled now, would that damage the pasture for the spring? Also, it looks like we will be getting routine enough rain that baling may be risky.

What do y'all think?

Don't know much about Texas but I 'm sure you have warmer winters than we do here in Ky.
If you bale it .....don't mow it too short, don't know what kind of grass you have but if you leave plenty of leaf area where photosythesis can take place then you won't harm it for next year.

we are also planning to bale again sometime this month if the baler man gets to it.

To the best of my knowledge why waist the time and money baling it and just graze it. Supply enough protein and let them have it.

Latest posts