Bagging up 5 months early?

Help Support CattleToday:

HDS143

Reaction score
Hi, so I have a cow that was bred on March 19th, 2012, and she has been bagging up for about a week now, and is now showing signs of giving birth soon.
* She has had no previous contact with a bull, we haven't owned a bull in three years, and all our bull calves from last year are steers, and have been kept separate from the heard
*Her first calf was born on September 19th, 2010, and she has not been had a calf or been pregnant since.
We've never had anything like this happen before, and nobody seems to know much about it. I'm just looking for some answers and maybe a reason this is happening?

Thanks.

To put your mind as ease why not her palpated, that will give you a better idea about when she's going to calve.

Hi, Well this is strange...I haven't heard anything like this before!
When you say she is showing signs of calving- do you mean she is softening up and bagging??or?
If she is bagging up, she is possibly a milky breed.
-Catherina-

She is doing both! And as far as we know, there is no milking breed in her what so ever! We had both her parents, and he dad was a purebred limo and her mom was a beef shorthorn/ angus cross. We're really not sure what to think of all this, its never happened before.
Thankfully, over the past week or so, the bagging has slowed down a bit, so we're hoping it was all just premature or something.

Catherina_Cunnane.":1hz00abl said:
Hi, Well this is strange...I haven't heard anything like this before!
When you say she is showing signs of calving- do you mean she is softening up and bagging??or?
If she is bagging up, she is possibly a milky breed.
-Catherina-
Ok your post still bothers me, but what you mean "milky breed"? So far I know about dairy breeds, they are usually bagging up when they are closer to the due date....no different from the beef breeds.

What I mean by 'milky breed'?
I'm from Ireland, we use different phrases!
Does she have good milking -ability bloodlines?
Sorry to confuse you!

Latest posts