Australia has a new leader.

Help Support CattleToday:

upfrombottom":2jepo50h said:
remember the millions of Italians, Irish, Norwegians, Swedes, Germans, Poles and others that came before us. They built this great country and many of them died doing it. They were stronger and better people than most of us that now benefit from their sacrifices. They deserve better than to be the butt of jokes.

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. But we were not the first to make jokes about ones ethnic background, the ones you mentioned did also. But, with this great country of ours, we didn't kill each other because of our differences, we just made jokes about them and pulled together for one main cause: FREEDOM.
well the indian in me wishs ya'll all stayed the he@# out
:p

Well actually since you mentioned it, my great grandfather immigrated here from Ireland and married a Cherokee from Georgia on his way to Pontotoc MS, where he raised a family of 24 kids (19 boys). He was a mule breeder and raised and trained mules for farming. I have a few pictures of him and some of his family that have been handed down to me. I never met the man or my grandfather as both were dead before I was born and only have stories from my dad. The youngest kids of the family never knew the oldest, from what I was told, because they were already grown and gone before the young ones were old enough to remember their siblings. My grandfather, being one of the youngest, moved to Arkansas with four of his brothers, married my grandmother whom was half Indian from Alabama, and started a family of his own that had 8 kids. He died when my father was 13 and my father, being the oldest boy, raised the rest of the family.

Edited to add this:

I asked my uncle once how we ended up in Arkansas and his answer was: " All I can figure is they were running from the law."

upfrombottom":1gt7j6v3 said:

Well actually since you mentioned it, my great grandfather immigrated here from Ireland and married a Cherokee from Georgia on his way to Pontotoc MS, where he raised a family of 24 kids (19 boys). He was a mule breeder and raised and trained mules for farming. I have a few pictures of him and some of his family that have been handed down to me. I never met the man or my grandfather as both were dead before I was born and only have stories from my dad. The youngest kids of the family never knew the oldest, from what I was told, because they were already grown and gone before the young ones were old enough to remember their siblings. My grandfather, being one of the youngest, moved to Arkansas with four of his brothers, married my grand mother whom was half Indian from Alabama and started a family of his own that had 8 kids. He died when my father was 13 and my father being the oldest boy, raised the rest of the family.
sounds real simular to my ancestry

upfrombottom":uj7eil23 said:

Well actually since you mentioned it, my great grandfather immigrated here from Ireland and married a Cherokee from Georgia on his way to Pontotoc MS, where he raised a family of 24 kids (19 boys). He was a mule breeder and raised and trained mules for farming. I have a few pictures of him and some of his family that have been handed down to me. I never met the man or my grandfather as both were dead before I was born and only have stories from my dad. The youngest kids of the family never knew the oldest, from what I was told, because they were already grown and gone before the young ones were old enough to remember their siblings. My grandfather, being one of the youngest, moved to Arkansas with four of his brothers, married my grandmother whom was half Indian from Alabama, and started a family of his own that had 8 kids. He died when my father was 13 and my father, being the oldest boy, raised the rest of the family.
Good story up from bottom, thanks for posting it.If your father is still around please tell him he has my admiration. Reminds me of a second cousin that I met for the first time a few short months before he died. He was maybe 13 or 14 when his father died and it was left up to him to put in the crop that year.
These stories of real people and real life are very different from the negative attitudes some people expressed about Abby Sunderland and her setting out to sail around the world at 16.
I'll bet nobody explained to your father that he couldn't take his place as head of the family when he was 13 because he was still a minor by today's legal standards .

Ryder":2lplspau said:
Good story up from bottom, thanks for posting it.If your father is still around please tell him he has my admiration. Reminds me of a second cousin that I met for the first time a few short months before he died. He was maybe 13 or 14 when his father died and it was left up to him to put in the crop that year.
These stories of real people and real life are very different from the negative attitudes some people expressed about Abby Sunderland and her setting out to sail around the world at 16.
I'll bet nobody explained to your father that he couldn't take his place as head of the family when he was 13 because he was still a minor by today's legal standards .

He passed away in March of last year, and at the funeral all his brothers and sisters told me not only did they lose a brother, but they lost the only father they ever knew.

upfrombottom":1tltuz0y said:
Ryder":1tltuz0y said:

He passed away in March of last year, and at the funeral all his brothers and sisters told me not only did they lose a brother, but they lost the only father they ever knew.
Sorry to hear that he is gone. What is still here is his legacy. Best to you and the rest of his family and friends.

Jogeephus":2l9oajtx said:
curtis":2l9oajtx said:
Are you sure that our current administration is not taking over Australia. Sure sounds like.

I'm not so sure we are not all still subjects of the queen. It all sounds so similar but England appears to still be the leader in the liberal agenda and many of the things they are trying to shove down our throats are firmly in place in britain. Wait till we have to get permits to move cattle from one farm to the next like they do in England. Of course you have to first get the mandatory ID system like they have first.
The sad part about it all is that it is still better than Zimbabwe (for now) Jo!

A few years ago a JD salesman brought a fella from Zimbabwe by the farm to look watch some equipment. Heck of a nice guy. He told me some stories about some of his difficulties. It was funny that we were seperated by an ocean but we faced some of the same challenges.

Latest posts