Australia has a new leader.

Help Support CattleToday:

what's the best cure for a hangover or do ya'll irish folks just stay drunk all the time?
Hair if the dog that bit ya. Actually, its not the drinking that makes you feel bad, its the sleep. You go to bed feeling fine, and wake up with a hangover. I do like to sing allot and in my opinion, it gets louder and better the more I've had to drink.

upfrombottom":2naxnm8g said:
what's the best cure for a hangover or do ya'll irish folks just stay drunk all the time?
Hair if the dog that bit ya. Actually, its not the drinking that makes you feel bad, its the sleep. You go to bed feeling fine, and wake up with a hangover. I do like to sing allot and in my opinion, it gets louder and better the more I've had to drink.
I never thought of that. I think you are on to something here about that sleep business.

Jogeephus":316iirs2 said:
3waycross":316iirs2 said:
I have some Irish in me also. It does not make me a "ballad singing drunk" anymore than being Italian makes me a member of the Mafia.

Darnit. I was kinda hoping you were a made man so I could get you to store some sides of beef for me this year in your meat locker. :lol2: Gotta ask, being Italian and all, what's it like eating spaghetti and pizza all the time? And Upfrombottom, what's the best cure for a hangover or do ya'll irish folks just stay drunk all the time? ;-) :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Keep it up and you might just find out if I'm a made man or not. :shock:

BTW for all my SOUTHERN friends. If you think I am being unreasonable about this racist stuff, and sterotyping people.. Try substituting the word Confederate in place of any nationality and let me know if you still think it's that funny. :nod:

Jogeephus":3la1n9km said:
Suzie Q":3la1n9km said:
The other difference between Australia and America for politics is that it is mandatory for us to vote. We don't have a choice. Unless you want to pay a fine.

That's interesting. If it were that way here, I think given the choices I'm given at times I'd just have to pay a fine.

You can go in and get the ballot vote and not fill it out. Or they get a lot of Donkey votes, which is when people just put 1 in the top box and go down to 10 in the bottom box. I have heard that you can just write the letters for donkey as well, but I don't know if that is true. So all politicians want to be at the top of the list.

3waycross":1vf41llx said:
BTW for all my SOUTHERN friends. If you think I am being unreasonable about this racist stuff, and sterotyping people.. Try substituting the word Confederate in place of any nationality and let me know if you still think it's that funny.

I know what you mean but this is exactly why it tickled me so. Its kinda nice seeing someone else being stereotyped for a change.

Suzie Q":1vf41llx said:
You can go in and get the ballot vote and not fill it out. Or they get a lot of Donkey votes, which is when people just put 1 in the top box and go down to 10 in the bottom box. I have heard that you can just write the letters for donkey as well, but I don't know if that is true. So all politicians want to be at the top of the list.

Do you have write in's? We can do this and when given poor choices I vote for Elmer Fudd. I know he is a fictictious character but so are the characters.

Suzie Q":3fnswqtm said:
If you are unable to get to a ballot box on the day you can send your vote in by mail.

Never seen it personally but I've been told this is how the dead people vote here at times.

3waycross":2tv6rs67 said:
upfrombottom":2tv6rs67 said:
Not racist in any form or way, only read and learn from history books. Sorry if you took this as offensive. I'm Irish and have kin myself I'm not so proud of, only I do not get upset if someone says anything about the Irish or the mafia. And I do know how to spell, if it was spelled wrong blame it on Google's spell checker, it corrected the spelling. I also have a few friends whom are Italian and they wouldn't be friends for very long if they carried a chip around on their shoulder like you.

Thank you for your PM apology. I have some Irish in me also. It does not make me a "ballad singing drunk" anymore than being Italian makes me a member of the Mafia.

I personally am sick of sterotypes in this country. They are wrong MOST of the time.

3way: I seem to remember you posting a couple of Ole and Lena jokes in the past. If that ain't stereotyping then I don't know what is. Now, even though my mother is Norwegian, I didn't have a major problem with it. One, I know you were just having a little fun and weren't being malicious. Heck, I've told a couple myself. Two, I'm not easily offended and I'm not one of those people who goes around finding offense in every little thing. Here's a little excerpt from an artcle I found about my Great Grandfather awhile back:

Knut Halverson struggled not only with his God and with nature, but also with a new language; and we can well imagine the conversation when he met one of his Polish or German neighbors, as each tried to make himself understood in a third language unfamiliar to both. But as Halverson learned new English words, he attempted to incorporate them into his diary by "Norwegianizing" them. In this he was following the pattern so ably demonstrated in Einar Haugen's The Norwegian Language in America (Philadelphia, 1953).

For example, he uses the word "swamp" throughout the diary; he has no suitable substitute for it in Norwegian because there are, strictly speaking, few swamps (flom) in Norway; mostly they are myr (marshes or peat bogs). He attempts to adapt "swamp" by spelling it svamp. When he has been in the swamp, he says he has been i svampen. After swamping out rails (that is, snaking them to a skidway) he has svampede ut rels. To say, "I have grubbed," he writes jeg har grubbede. The word "field" he naturally slurs to fila. Repairing a fence, he says he fixsede fens. He krillede (cradled) winter wheat and he haaede (hoed) some weeds in kornet (the corn). He hauled his water from krikken (the creek) in a baril. He took his oats to be ground at the fidmøllen (feed mill). He bought groseri (groceries) at storet (the store). [210] He splitted (split) some wood and he kliret (cleared) some fence line. He kattetede (cut) corn and he hauled ponkis (pumpkins). As for logs, he was not sure whether to call them log or tømmer. He repaired the sjanty (shanty) roof, built a corn kryb, helped his brother Ole cut sjingels (shingles), and was often in the swamp cutting sqver stik (square sticks —actually hewed timbers) for sills of houses or barns. On February 6, 1877, the snow was almost gone from farmene (the farms), and one afternoon he suverte (surveyed) some land. And on April 25, 1877, he heard the hyprevil (whippoorwill) for the first time.

Sounds a lot like Ole and Lena, doesn't it? In fact, he had a brother named Ole. Here is the entire article if anyone's interested:

http://www.naha.stolaf.edu/pubs/nas/vol ... l21_7.html

Anyone who reads it will see a picture of a man who came to America, like millions of others, to make a better life for himself. A man who struggled to understand his God, struggled against the passage of time, struggled to understand a strange language, and struggled to raise a large family in a strange land with little to work with. But you'll also see a man who never gave up toiling against odds that few of us would be able to overcome. Not someone to be made fun of, in my book.

Anyway, I'm sorry for my part in hijacking this thread. Like I said, I don't normally raise a stink about ethnic jokes unless someone is being malicious about it. But I ask anyone who tells them, or anyone who laughs at them, to remember the millions of Italians, Irish, Norwegians, Swedes, Germans, Poles and others that came before us. They built this great country and many of them died doing it. They were stronger and better people than most of us that now benefit from their sacrifices. They deserve better than to be the butt of jokes.

remember the millions of Italians, Irish, Norwegians, Swedes, Germans, Poles and others that came before us. They built this great country and many of them died doing it. They were stronger and better people than most of us that now benefit from their sacrifices. They deserve better than to be the butt of jokes.

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. But we were not the first to make jokes about ones ethnic background, the ones you mentioned did also. But, with this great country of ours, we didn't kill each other because of our differences, we just made jokes about them and pulled together for one main cause: FREEDOM.

HERE IS THE ORIGINAL QUOTE
The leader of this party is not Italian or Cecilian by chance are they? We have the same party here its called the MOB.

THIS DOESN'T HAVE A DAM THING TO DO WITH ETHNIC JOKES. i DO NOT AND WILL NOT TOLERATE REFERENCES TO ITALIANS AND MAFIA. DO NOT MAKE THIS ABOUT JOKES.

BTW VAN I GET "ALL" MY OLE AND LENA JOKES FROM THE NORWEGIANS I HUNT WITH IN SOUTH DAKOTA. THEY ARE WITHOUT A BOUT THE MOST PRIZED MEMBERS OF MY EXTENDED FAMILY.

I WAS RAISED TO HATE THE MAFIA AND EVERYTHING THEY STOOD FOR BY AN ITALIAN GRANDFATHER WHO NEVER EVER KNUCKLED UNDER TO THEM. NOW YOU KNOW WHERE I STAND........ DON'T PUSH IT ANYMORE.

upfrombottom":2rhr3jr0 said:
Does this mean I'm not invited over for pasta?

Not at all. In fact if you ever get up this way you are more than welcome to stop by for a visit, and if you will give us some warning I will have my wife make you anything you want for dinner. :welcome:

Oh, and by the way. Any Mafia remarks will get you a knuckle sandwich for dessert :nod: :lol2:

3waycross":rv7la3ey said:
HERE IS THE ORIGINAL QUOTE
The leader of this party is not Italian or Cecilian by chance are they? We have the same party here its called the MOB.

THIS DOESN'T HAVE A DAM THING TO DO WITH ETHNIC JOKES. i DO NOT AND WILL NOT TOLERATE REFERENCES TO ITALIANS AND MAFIA. DO NOT MAKE THIS ABOUT JOKES.

BTW VAN I GET "ALL" MY OLE AND LENA JOKES FROM THE NORWEGIANS I HUNT WITH IN SOUTH DAKOTA. THEY ARE WITHOUT A BOUT THE MOST PRIZED MEMBERS OF MY EXTENDED FAMILY.

I WAS RAISED TO HATE THE MAFIA AND EVERYTHING THEY STOOD FOR BY AN ITALIAN GRANDFATHER WHO NEVER EVER KNUCKLED UNDER TO THEM. NOW YOU KNOW WHERE I STAND........ DON'T PUSH IT ANYMORE.

I'm slow to anger, and I was trying to be civil about this whole thing, but now you're starting to pi$$ me off. First of all, I'll PUSH anything I dam well well want anytime I dam well want and there ain't a dam thing you or anyone else can do about it. So now you're gonna find out where I stand whether it suits you or not.

First of all, it IS about ethnic jokes and you know it. Remember this?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45979&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=italian

So tell me, why do you get to throw a hissy fit when someone posts a joke degrading Italians, but when you post one degrading Norwegians we're all supposed to laugh and tell you how cute it is? Don't you see the hypocrisy in that? And don't give me that "I got it from my Norwegian friends" crap. If I posted an Italian joke that I got from an Italian friend would that be OK with you? Would that make it acceptable? No, I didn't think so.

When you told us a little bit about your Italian grandfather in that thread I fully understood what you were talking about. I understood your pride in him and your resentment when someone posts a joke making fun of the way he talked. Yet when I talk about the pride I feel for my Norwegian great-grandfather and pointed out why he and others like him deserve better you turn around and YELL at me. Like I'M the one with the problem. As I said before, I'm not easily offended, but you seem to think that YOU are the ONLY one that has a right to defend their heritage and everyone else can go take a hike.

I don't know, 3way, I've always thought pretty highly of you. Yeah, you're a little touchy sometimes, but I've always thought you were a good man. Now I'm beginning to wonder. That's where I stand.

Van you have your search engine working so well why don't you find the one where I degraded Norweigens. The last Ole joke I printed was about the survey putting Ole in North Dakota instead of Minnesota, and the humor was very much tongue in cheek.

How many time do I have to say this post was not a joke. if it was and it was half way funny then I would not have gotten so pi$$ed off.

It was the same old tired crap about all italians being Mafia and I ain't taking that s--t off anyone.

I told you how much my Norweigen friends mean to me( even if they do make fun of our use of spices) you have absolutely no grounds to say I downplayed your grandfathers contribution or anything like that.

BTW Tommy Rules joke was and still is tasteless and stupid you know it. There's humor and there's garbage and that was garbage.

3waycross":2sk96q88 said:
Van you have your search engine working so well why don't you find the one where I degraded Norweigens. The last Ole joke I printed was about the survey putting Ole in North Dakota instead of Minnesota, and the humor was very much tongue in cheek.

How many time do I have to say this post was not a joke. if it was and it was half way funny then I would not have gotten so pi$$ed off.

It was the same old tired crap about all italians being Mafia and I ain't taking that s--t off anyone.

I told you how much my Norweigen friends mean to me( even if they do make fun of our use of spices) you have absolutely no grounds to say I downplayed your grandfathers contribution or anything like that.

BTW Tommy Rules joke was and still is tasteless and stupid you know it. There's humor and there's garbage and that was garbage.

There's a fine line between humor and garbage, and different people will not see them the same way everytime. Yes, the Italian joke was tasteless, but there was some humor in it. Your Ole and Lena joke had humor, but there was also a certain tastelessness about it. Both made fun of the way people talk and made those people look stupid, funny or not. I don't see the difference. As for the mafia thing, I can see your side. It's not a joke, it's a stereotype born of ignorance. Not having any Italian blood in me, I can't fully understand how it makes you feel, but I won't downplay it.

Heck, I'm not trying to take the high road here. I've told countless ethnic jokes down through the years, probably even some about the mafia. But I never will again, and I'm not gonna try and justify the ones I did tell. Lot's of them are funny as heck, but that doesn't make them right. I'll tell you what. The next time someone posts an Italian joke or makes reference to the mafia, you give 'em he!! and I'll stand with you. The next time someone posts an Ole and Lena joke, I won't say a word because it really doesn't bother me that much. But I won't be patting anybody on the back, either.

I'm putting this behind me.

That works for me! Sorry I blew up. at you.

For what its worth the main reason I love the Ole and Lena jokes so much are that they always make me think of my Mom's grandfather who was from Denmark, he always talked like that, and I liked him a lot.

Alan":1feorzfs said:
Does this mean no more blonde jokes? :shock:

Dam. I forgot about those. I take back everything I said. :lol2:

Seriously, people should post whatever they want. If it's out of bounds the moderators will take care of it. It's not up to me.

And to our Australian friends, I apoligize for hijacking your thread about a very important subject. I hope you and your country prosper under your new Prime Minister.

Latest posts