Australia has a new leader.

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian

Reaction score
Northern New England Region, Tenterfield NSW Austr
Australia has it's first woman Prime Minister. The previous PM was tossed by his deputy in an uncontested overthrow. The word is that we have gone from a "lemon" to an "orange" What I mean by orange is the colour of her hair. Australia goes to the polls later in the year maybe?

The Australian people don't get a say on who is the Prime Minister. They get to vote for which party they want in power.This dismissal was by his own Labor party. The new PM was his deputy. The labor party is a very union orientated party. Labor party members are back stabbers as can be seen by yesterdays events. A lot of Australians are disgusted by the events of yesterday, when the former PM had only a few months to go of his 3 year term. Most rural voters in Australia support either the Liberal or the National Parties. There are increasing numbers that vote for The Greens ( environmental type affiliation) and Independents ( who supposedly have no allegiance to any party). The Greens often tend to side with the Labor party and often Independents are people that are disillusioned members of the larger labor,National or Liberal parties. The Labor party was set up to supposedly support the rights of workers etc. Now they tend to support the non workers and freely give handouts as they get a lot of support from those in our community that choose not to work much. Under our previous government Australia was a much wealthier country than what we are now, the government were good budgeters, but in the lead up to the last election the former government chose to suggest that they were to bring in new workplace laws ( that seem to scare those non workers and their supporters.) The present government have instigated a number of initiatives that have failed and this is what has seen such a large fall in Labor popularity. They brought in a home insulation scheme whereby householders were given a rebate to have their homes insulated so to say power consumption for heating and cooling. This hastily brought in scheme has resulted in the death of 4 young people and almost 200 homes burnt. Many of these homes now are having the insulation removed. The had what they called an education revolution whereby schools across the country were given varying amounts of money (1,000 to millions) to erect buildings that were in lots of cases not needed or built at grossly inflated prices by contractors. These are just two of things that have irked the Australians over the past year or so. We still live in great country but our government stinks both federal and state. Hope I haven't bored readers. I have tried to remain apolitical as best I can.

The straw that broke the camel's back was the mining tax. You can't tax one business above the others. If you had a business and you were going to get taxed for all your hard work, wouldn't it be easier to just change businesses? That is what is happening - those working are getting taxed, those not working are on welfare and being given money, computers, etc. You can't blame them if they throw up their hands and say they are sick of working for nothing and don't do it.

I don't trust Labour I am afraid. What has happened recently in Boonah? The Post Office is a great place to go. Friendly staff. We get our mail with no problems. It is a busy place. The Post Master has worked for the post office for 30 years. 25 of them in Boonah. The post office is running at a profit and said to be well run.

So they have now been sacked. Out of the blue. No redundancy. No transfer. Sacked. Temporary staff will be brought in to manage it until it is sold. To make it more lucrative the cost of sending a letter has gone up 5 cents.

When Labour went in there was money in the bank plus assets owned. Now we owe owe owe and as the assets are sold there is no way to get any money back except to raise taxes. Hence the mining tax. Under liberal stamps went up 5 cents once in 11 years. Under labour twice in 2 years so far?

My feelings? Surely she can't be worse than Rudd. But she is still Labour. I am sorry to see the Emissions Trading Scheme back on the Agenda. Although I do hope she brings back the Green Loans, we were about to get two before it was quashed with the insulation bungle.

Just thought we'd let the rest of the world know just how crazy our political system. I know people tend to get carried away when the subject of politics is brought up. I realise that the board would be chocked full of never ending comments if it was allowed to go on. So I can see a reason for it. Thats all I will say. We have a new leader good or bad we will see how she goes. Don't worry Australia will always remain friends with the US.

Australian":2iwtjax2 said:
Just thought we'd let the rest of the world know just how ""crazy"" our political system. I know people tend to get carried away when the subject of politics is brought up. I realise that the board would be chocked full of never ending comments if it was allowed to go on. So I can see a reason for it. Thats all I will say. We have a new leader good or bad we will see how she goes. Don't worry Australia will always remain friends with the US.
we' already got one of our own,, thanks anyway :cowboy:

Are you sure that our current administration is not taking over Australia. Sure sounds like.

curtis":2hcg15gn said:
Are you sure that our current administration is not taking over Australia. Sure sounds like.

I'm not so sure we are not all still subjects of the queen. It all sounds so similar but England appears to still be the leader in the liberal agenda and many of the things they are trying to shove down our throats are firmly in place in britain. Wait till we have to get permits to move cattle from one farm to the next like they do in England. Of course you have to first get the mandatory ID system like they have first.

They brought in a home insulation scheme whereby householders were given a rebate to have their homes insulated so to say power consumption for heating and cooling. This hastily brought in scheme has resulted in the death of 4 young people and almost 200 homes burnt. Many of these homes now are having the insulation removed. The had what they called an education revolution whereby schools across the country were given varying amounts of money (1,000 to millions) to erect buildings that were in lots of cases not needed or built at grossly inflated prices by contractors.

The leader of this party is not Italian or Cecilian by chance are they? We have the same party here its called the MOB.

upfrombottom":1l9by2u5 said:
They brought in a home insulation scheme whereby householders were given a rebate to have their homes insulated so to say power consumption for heating and cooling. This hastily brought in scheme has resulted in the death of 4 young people and almost 200 homes burnt. Many of these homes now are having the insulation removed. The had what they called an education revolution whereby schools across the country were given varying amounts of money (1,000 to millions) to erect buildings that were in lots of cases not needed or built at grossly inflated prices by contractors.

The leader of this party is not Italian or Cecilian by chance are they? We have the same party here its called the MOB.

If you are going to be an ignorant racist ass learn how to spell. We have some great folks on here from Arkansas. You are not one of them.

Not racist in any form or way, only read and learn from history books. Sorry if you took this as offensive. I'm Irish and have kin myself I'm not so proud of, only I do not get upset if someone says anything about the Irish or the mafia. And I do know how to spell, if it was spelled wrong blame it on Google's spell checker, it corrected the spelling. I also have a few friends whom are Italian and they wouldn't be friends for very long if they carried a chip around on their shoulder like you.

I believe she is from Wales. I only heard the News this morning. Nothing more since and then they were saying that the tactic worked and that she is the preferred PM to Abbot who is Liberal. It seems that the liberal party is probably liked more, but people don't like its leader.

The other difference between Australia and America for politics is that it is mandatory for us to vote. We don't have a choice. Unless you want to pay a fine.

Suzie Q":32rqtujh said:
The other difference between Australia and America for politics is that it is mandatory for us to vote. We don't have a choice. Unless you want to pay a fine.

That's interesting. If it were that way here, I think given the choices I'm given at times I'd just have to pay a fine.

upfrombottom":3hmvg7nt said:
Not racist in any form or way, only read and learn from history books. Sorry if you took this as offensive. I'm Irish and have kin myself I'm not so proud of, only I do not get upset if someone says anything about the Irish or the mafia. And I do know how to spell, if it was spelled wrong blame it on Google's spell checker, it corrected the spelling. I also have a few friends whom are Italian and they wouldn't be friends for very long if they carried a chip around on their shoulder like you.

Thank you for your PM apology. I have some Irish in me also. It does not make me a "ballad singing drunk" anymore than being Italian makes me a member of the Mafia.

I personally am sick of sterotypes in this country. They are wrong MOST of the time.

3waycross":1uq9f4i3 said:
I have some Irish in me also. It does not make me a "ballad singing drunk" anymore than being Italian makes me a member of the Mafia.

Darnit. I was kinda hoping you were a made man so I could get you to store some sides of beef for me this year in your meat locker. :lol2: Gotta ask, being Italian and all, what's it like eating spaghetti and pizza all the time? And Upfrombottom, what's the best cure for a hangover or do ya'll irish folks just stay drunk all the time? ;-) :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I wish we could "TOSS" our so called leader!!!!!! Why I would even take one with orange hair.

Latest posts