Aussies . . . Anyone heard of Supergene evaluation system

Help Support CattleToday:

Here is our past herdsire.

We have a couple of sons of his that we are using since this bull died a couple of years ago. We have had pretty good success with the calves that we did get out of him. Now the task comes to finding something of an outcross that we can breed his heifers to. I think that I have a bull we raised out of an outcross cow we purchased and some semen we imported that may work and I have a young bull out of a high profile bull from the 60's that a friend raised that I am going to try.

Where is jovid's photo that has been condemed by the "supergeneys". Any animal that gets condemed by one of that lot is usually
one that I would be proud to own. Arn't we all meant to be BEEF producers?

Maybe it's time to post some photo's of that type of cattle and see what real people think of them???

That is easy RedPoll52. Just type the words " What do you think of this bull" into the Google box that is at the bottom of each Forum Page. Then visit the relevant page when the Google list comes up. It should be at the top.

In reply to Keren's thread.
Yes its funny how this subject keeps popping up ae. Lol

Probably because we need to keep an eye on what "that lot" are up to in the world, before they ruin other peoples herds
and destroy assocations and friendships like they have done over here. Or doing very fast !! :???: :devil2: :cry2: :help:

All we can do is keep breeding what we know is right and beat them at every opportunity, before we totally lose all interest in
our cattle

Food for thought I hope

ShuterSunset":1wdt0fdb said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1wdt0fdb said:
ShuterSunset":1wdt0fdb said:
What are the Red Poll lines that are performing well down there in Australia? I have been trying to find some outcross genetics to add to our Red Poll herd over here in the US. Just trying to get some ideas of who has the real 'beef' type Red Polls over there as we are trying to focus on making thick, easy keeping, stout and structurally correct Red Polls at our place.
Contact Jovid - he has some of the best looking cattle on here - of all breeds.

Jovid and his partner have owned a bull of ours in the past and I have a couple of heifers from their place already. So far most of the females we have brought up here from Oklahoma haven't transitioned real well to our management and resources. Not saying that they are bad cattle, just haven't worked real well in our system. I oughta post some pictures of some of our cattle sometime. I don't think that our cattle are all that much different from Jovid's in type and kind, maybe a bit flashier as far as eye appeal but the same type of thick, sound functional cattle who perform well. I guess that is just my thoughts, some of the other breeders in the states may think differently though as we have been involved in the showring quite a bit lately. I will admit that after looking at my cattle all the time and not seeing that many other Red Polls except a couple of times a year, I can get a little barn blind.

Shuter's cattle are probably a bit flashier than our cattle as they are raised on grain and mostly for the show ring. Our cattle are raised on grass with performance as our main goal.

redpoll52":2eeno0du said:
In reply to Keren's thread.
Yes its funny how this subject keeps popping up ae. Lol

Probably because we need to keep an eye on what "that lot" are up to in the world, before they ruin other peoples herds
and destroy assocations and friendships like they have done over here. Or doing very fast !! :???: :devil2: :cry2: :help:

All we can do is keep breeding what we know is right and beat them at every opportunity, before we totally lose all interest in
our cattle

Food for thought I hope

If what Red Poll 52, Keren and the Malters say is half true then the world of Cattle Breeding needs to be warned about them. I know you dont want to denigrate the breed by posting photos but I would be keen to see them. Could you PM me and I could give you my direct Email so you could send them to me for a peep.
Ive only seen the good Red Polls that are on this forun and Jovid's website.

Hi Zingaah
Ive got a couple of photos of Supergene approved cows with calves at foot if your interested. Just PM me with your Email.

Supergene photos-Thanks for those. I know what awful cattle can look like and I wouldn't like to see them on this forum if one likes Red Polls. One of those cows appears to be standing in a decent clover pasture yet she is thin. Perhaps they deserve another name Red Rubbish would be fitting.

:D

Corn is a "grass", it's just the tallest one.

Shuters's cattle are simply able to perform on both the carcass level & the show ring. :clap:

Looks like those supergene photo's are starting to get aroud a bit now. Its good to know.

Keep up the good work !!

Are those cattle part of a Supergene herd. The cattle in the photos In my opinion they are a disgrace to cattle breeding. You can see one cow has lots to eat and the others are in yards of some kind. I wouldn't allow such animals to be seen by anybody let alone anyone with a camera.

I read supernucleus and rolled my eyes. Kind of like when I hear reverse osmosis.

There is a nice Red Poll stud here in WA. I can't think of the stud name now. They had a fantastic bull win the interbreed senior bull one year I was there.

Supergene people who promote cattle such as those I have photos of would have to fit the description of being "Snake Oil Salesmen". Why would anyone say they are superior.

What is the Supergene evaluation system asks Bonsman.
It is a system that gives a score to bulls, cows and calves.
About three quarter of the total score is for functionality particularly dairy traits. How you can accurately predict the teats that the offspring will have when they are looking at a six month bull calf beats most people but they manage to find a score.
About a quarter of the score goes to meat yield etc.
There is no score for well sprung ribs or things that indicate constitution.
Then there are the funnier ones like Tail Length means productivity and a Thin Skin means a more palatable carcass and a Greasy Spine means tender meat when most people recognise this as being a cow in excellent condition.

Hay Malter, don't forget about Tippy ears & high chines

Anybody wanting beef cattle should never follow this system because they are un productive and are unable to produce decent
calves that will finsh quickly.

I have eaten "supergene" beef and it was rubbish[b[/b]
This was meant to be a top rated tender heifer

Latest posts