Aussies . . . Anyone heard of Supergene evaluation system

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Run by a guy called Peter Chillcott, from Tassie. Went to a workshop run by him the other week . . . some very radical and controversial ideas . . . didnt agree with most of what he said. Waste of a day and $50 if you ask me.

Interested to hear other people's ideas. I will talk about what I agreed/disagreed with a bit later.

It had a bit of fleeting fame up here about 15 years ago then went away-never heard of any millionaires because of it. Except the guy charging $50 for a seminar.

Been to a day a long time ago hosted by PC. A lot of what he said were known facts expoused by old timers about various aspects of selection. I have seen his selection of South Devon cattle at a couple of properties. They are light boned dairy types and lack hindquarter. PC seems to hone in on single women,recently widowed,recently divorced or new comers to the beef industry looking for a quick entry into the business. PC was a Red Poll breeder. Actually a very good friends wife run off with him. He did have a Canadian wife when I first came across him.There are a few Brahman breeders that have used his services. Don't think any South Devon breeders use him now. :(

Interesting responses . . . thanks guys.

The place the workshop was held on raises Angus cattle, crossbred meat goats and Dorper (meat) sheep.

PC had been at the property a few weeks ago and classified the animals for the owner. We started off with the meat sheep. He had four classifications: white tag = elite animals, supernucleus for breeding stock; a cull group; and two intermediate groups (I cant remember the tag colours for those other groups. Basically, the white tag animals were, as Colin said, fine boned, petite, light muscled, very feminine animals. The animals in the cull group were thick, long bodies, heavily muscled and heavy boned. I really liked some of the 'cull' animals - they were really nice productive carcase animals. He didnt seem to understand that you can get femininity on a well muscled animal :?: He was adamant that his 'white tag' ewes would breed earlier and producer more twins than the other animals. I very much question that. His white tag ewes were lighter boned and muscled and smaller, so I would think that they would be lighter at the same age than the other animals, and so they wont join at an earlier age. Also, it is well known that body weight and condition at joining influences fecundity (twins etc.) so for the same reason, I think the white tags would have less multiples than the thicker animals. The funniest thing was when he said that the cull animals were too heavy and masculine and that they would be barren, and never lamb. Ha ha ha most of those ewes had udders on them, indicating they had previously lambed, and some of them had just weaned lambs which were over in another pen screaming for their mothers :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

We moved on to look at some wethers for slaughter. He had a heavy muscled, light muscled and intermediate muscled wether there. He pointed out the places to look for increased muscle, such as down the shank, the eye muscle and over the chine. All of that I agreed with. But what I didnt understand was that he believes those light muscled, light boned, petite females will be capable of producing very good carcase wethers. :?: :?: Doesnt add up.

We moved on to talk about ram selection. He had a pen of five rams all roughly the same age. Here was where things started to get really interesting. He uses only two selection criteria when choosing his rams. He only looks at their testicle shape. You know how some rams have got flat bottomed testicles, and others have kind of knobbly bits at the bottom where the epididymus is. Well, in the pen of five rams, he picked the only one that had the knobbly bits. He didnt care about any other part of the animal, structural soundness, carcase attributes, masculinity, nothing. Just as long as it has those knobbly bits, its 'a good ram'. The only other thing he looks for in a potential sire is it's mother. He picks out rams, bulls etc at birth according to their mother. He also buys them before they are born. As in, he goes out to a person's stud, picks out the cow he likes the most, and says if she has a bull calf he's sold for 2500. He doesnt care if he turns out looking awful. As long as he's got a good mum, he's a good one. About the point he really lost everyone's respect was when someone asked about masculine heads. He said, you dont look for a masculine head on a ram, buck or bull, in fact you cull those that are masculine. You look for the most feminine faced sire you can find. :?:

So when we went off to the goats, he had two pens of does. One was the 'good' ones, the others he said were too muscled and thick to be breeders. The funny thing was, those 'too thick' ones, were about half as thick as our worst animals :lol2: Oh, boy, he'd cull all of our goats :lol2: There was no depth on any of them. They were pretty pitiful animals, really. We had taken some culls to the abbatoirs the day before, and they were a thousand times better than these animals.

Then we looked at the angus cattle. His sytem went - purple tags = elite animals, supernucleus for breeding; blue tags = next step down, really nice animals; pink tags = next step down, pretty average animals; yellow tag = culls. There were four in his purple tag cows - when the owner went to put them up the race one of them jumped out of the force yard. Then, when he went in to get it back - it charged him :shock: They were as mad as bloody hatters :shock: They were also very fine boned, dairy type, and they were not very balanced, particularly in the pelvis. The hips didnt seem to 'connect' very well to the rest of the body. The blue tags ones that he also liked were very structurally incorrect, poor feet and legs, very fined boned, very small pelvic capacity. No depth, no spring of rib, no muscle, no fleshing. The yellow tag culls were really great looking animals. They were correct, thick, deep, soft skinned, well muscled and still feminine.

This was the first time I had been to a workshop where people started leaving, or just walked away from the presenter and talked to each other. Kind of shocked me, but honestly I cant blame them.

It was interesting, they gave us a heap of promotional stuff about supergene to take home. I thought it was funny, I found an article about these cattle breeders who had used supergene extensively. One of the quotes was: "We cant sell our cattle through the saleyards anymore" and I just thought, 'yeah, cos your cattle look CRAP!' :lol2: There was also a heap of stuff about how he has been working extensively with the red poll breed. It suddenly answered a lot of questions for me. RPs in Australia are really pretty average, very dairy type, fine boned, small pelvic capacity, etc. and nothing at all like the animals I see posted from Jovid and others.

I just hope that this guy, who is a friend of ours, doesnt go down the drain using PC for classification. Last year he entered some goats in a carcase competition, and they were amazing animals, so much more muscled than anything I have ever seen in a goat. They won on the hoof and hook. They were nothing like the animals PC has told him to keep. I think he was on the right track before he started using this.

It probably says a lot that PC has been running Supergene for 30 years and I hadnt heard of it, my boss hadnt heard of it, and no one I have talked to so far has heard about it. Kinda tells you something.

Well, what elce can be said ??? You have summed him up good and proper. :nod: Well done !!
There are good Red Polls around and they are real beef cattle, you just need to know where to look for them and who the breeders are that havn't been influenced by you know who. Anyway, Im glad there are other people out there that can see that his ideas don't make any sence.
Glad I know about this website now

Yikes sounds like this is 1 guy that could really ruin a beef operation I've never heard of PC or Supergene before this I certainly wouldn't use his system sounds as though it is the opposite of everything I'm trying to breed for :secret: :secret:

I was under the impression that the advisors around here were bad, but now I now what bad is!

I am a Red Poll Breeder, and I'm sorry to say that there are quite a few that are sucked in by his Ideas.
Some people obviously don't know what BEEF cattle are meant to look like and what the term BEEF actually means.
I have seen the results of his work. :mad:

All we can do as breeders is contiue to do what we do best and promote the opposite to what that lot do !!

I am sooooooooo glad I am getting input from RP breeders here, its reassuring to see that not all are involved in this crap.

FWIW, I have watched the quality of the RPs at shows like sydney improving, particularly a certain few studs, over the last, probably three or four years they have really made a difference.

What are the Red Poll lines that are performing well down there in Australia? I have been trying to find some outcross genetics to add to our Red Poll herd over here in the US. Just trying to get some ideas of who has the real 'beef' type Red Polls over there as we are trying to focus on making thick, easy keeping, stout and structurally correct Red Polls at our place.

Anybody got anymore supergene horror storys to share ? It was starting to get interesting and fun. I could say a lot more and post photos
but this is a public forum and I better watch what I say for now. :secret: :secret:

Keren at least you only wasted fifty bucks and a day. I got rid of five thousand dollars in what turned out to be my worst investment in thirty five years of cattle farming after purchasing heifers from PCs bloodlines. The inability to produce a live calf (forty two per cent average from that bloodline) and the vets comment of the narrowest birth canal he had seen in thirty years typifies my experience. Since those days I have found other bloodlines of Red Polls that are actually very good.

themalters":lccw82ra said:
Keren at least you only wasted fifty bucks and a day. I got rid of five thousand dollars in what turned out to be my worst investment in thirty five years of cattle farming after purchasing heifers from PCs bloodlines. The inability to produce a live calf (forty two per cent average from that bloodline) and the vets comment of the narrowest birth canal he had seen in thirty years typifies my experience. Since those days I have found other bloodlines of Red Polls that are actually very good.

I am really really sorry for you themalters.

And that is his 'superior fertility' for you :shock:

At my age at the time I shouldve known better. The people who talked me into it were irresponsible as they knew the problems and went to some trouble to suppress the facts. Even more dangerous are the disciples he has in both Aussie and NZ at present. I've come to the conclusion that the more times you tell a lie the more you believe it.

I have heard the last sentence of your response as a description of the supergene person before. Sometimes the same can be said about Breedplan. (wait for the responses now) If breeders need to use any selection tools that they think benefit their business. I just say buyer beware.
What part of NZ are you from?

You got that right Australian Cattle man. I bet it could cause a stirr !!

With breedplan I guess It really comes down to the breeders honesty about the imformation they put in. However I do know that feeding is a big part of how cattle do and the better they are fed the better they do. But everybody knows that. We fattern a lot of cattle and we don't have any ebv's for them, and don't really need them either.

BUT what I will also say is the people who have good cattle and give all the correct imfo probably do benefit from ebv recording as it puts animals growth rate, ema, etc on paper for other people to see. I believe it is a good way to back up what you can see visually in your stock.
I adit that I only know the basics of breedplan and these are only some of my thoughts. I am sure there are arguments for and against any recording system. We sure have them in NZ

It will be interesting to see where this topic goes and I look forward to it

I have been looking for Scottish Highland cattle breedplan & ebv's but haven't been able to find them. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Is this the guy from Tasmania who started the Triple T or TTT meat marketing outfit. I never hear anything much about it these days. Is it still going or has it folded. He was all skite about the prices he was getting for the "Supergene" Graded meat. Eighty dollars a kilo or so he said. I'm from an Island East of "West Island" called the South Island of NZ.