Aussies . . . Anyone heard of Supergene evaluation system

Help Support CattleToday:

You got that right themaltes. He also set up TM ( Taste Magic ) You don't hear much about that now either, or the people who helped him promote it at the time. Well not over here anyway. Yes I heard prices along those lines too and that was only for the top cuts apparantly. What does he do with the rest of the carcase? All I can say is a line from a funny Aussie movie. "Tell him he's dreaming"

Are there any Red Polls left in Tasmainia ?

The Aussie Newsletter of a few years ago listed nineten Tasmanian members then along came PC and now there are no members but there are probably a few cattle about here and there.

Breeding stud cattle is not just a science - theres a bit of art to it too. As an old Scots Shorthorn breeder once told me when I was expounding on the merits of EPDs in crossing different bloodlines: " Och lad thats fine, but do they nick?" All systems rely on the honesty of the breeder who submits the data. Personally I will not buy any semen from a breeder who I havent met, seen his operation and assesed his honesty and experience. Only then will I look at the data. I dont use EPDs as I feel they dont tell the whole story and omit things my customers want to know. To name a few: fertility, longevity, dental health and service capacity and calving ease of a particular bloodline. I have assesed and looked at Supergene and its definitely not suitable for my farming system here in South America
Yes I am a Red Poll breeder

Honest stud breeders will put in honest imfo into their EBV records but here's a question for you all.
Why dont Supergene followers use EBV's ? or if they do, why are they not available for viewing when all the top breeders make them available ?
Perhaps its because they all think their cattle are superior. :frowns:
I would'nt reccomend their ideas or their animals to anybody.
Definately no place for any of their nonsence in my breeding programme thats for sure !! :devil2:

A few years back a couple of the disciples did an evaluation tour of NZ in which they scored all the Supergene types very highly and any showing any Beef characteristics very poorly
This led to widespread dissatisfaction amongst members with some just giving up interest

A poem was written about this. It was called As I Saw It or "The Assessors"

It's another beautiful Canterbury Autumn day,
But all I want is a bale of decent hay!
Here comes old "Billy" on his motor bike,
So it's off to the yards which I dont like!
Who are those two "GEEZERS" standing there?
One in a kilt the other no hair!
I dont know what they want but there awful nosey,
Why do they have to keep staring at meeeee?

One with a sharp eye, the other a pen,
Is this the reincarnation of the "TWO WISE MEN"??
What is the point of this exercise?
Have they only come to critise?

They're even peeping at my private bits,
Do they think that litle Bulls have nits?
I hope they don't notice my little short Jaw,
Is it the shortest they ever saw?
If my tail is not long enough,
"Old Billy" will surely get the huff!!
And what about my greasy spine?
I don't care!! At least it's mine.

One with a sharp eye, the other a pen,
Is this the reincarnation on the "TWO WISE MEN"??
What was the point of this exercise?
If they only came to criticise.

Yes that brings back some memories themalters. I remember that happening. What a joke they are and their dopey ideas.
They condemmed a bull of ours at the time and he went on to have a very good influence in the herd and the one they ranked the highest got sent to a dairy herd to go over heifers.

There was another poem someone wrote but I can only remember a last line or two.
"Be carefull when you turn around, cos he'll stab you in the back

I see someone wants more horror stories about "Supergene"
A fellow in the Nth Island bought a "Supergene" type bull to try. Some people called it the "Steer" as that is what it looked like.
He had a small but growing herd tending towards nice meaty animals. One of the main problems in cattle breeding is the time lapse from purchasing a young bull till seeing how the progeny perform.
He got nine or so heifers in the first year and only one bull but didn't worry about that They were slow growers but when he put them in calf the problems occurred. To sum it up he had only one live calf. He did panic and sold all of the later calvers to a local butcher but he lost cows as well as calves. They were all disposed of and the next crop too but they were very disappointing in their growth rates.He made sure no-one was able to buy them for breeding purposes. No doubt the local vet told everyone what poor breeders Red Polls can be, especially if you follow some peoples teachings.
The funny thing was that the local "Supergene" people wanted to buy the bull but he was headed to the USA for hamburgers at that stage.
The breeder was quite accepting of the situation and passed it off as being what happens sometimes, but it set his breeding programme back three years. One thing for sure he won't be going down that road again.

Not entirely correct Aussie Cattleman I know of Four Aussie and two Kiwis who still follow the "Supergene system. I have seen the Kiwi herds and they are what you would expect from a system like that
Good luck to all the Aussies under threat from the current bush fires

What an interesting forum you've got going here Keren.
I've always been interested in people like your Tasmanian and have my own thoughts about classsifying such people. Having never met him I'm asking those that have, which group of the following two would he would fit best.
1 The Brash Skiting type with loud statements most of which are centered around dubious claims of easily created wealth and power or,
2 The Quiet type who goes about his business building a small circle of supporters who he manipulates to do his promotional work for him. This sort usually keep in the background but manages to surface from time to time.

There are two main types of followers that I know of. Both would fit your descriptions mentioned. The loud shouting down type who don't like to be challenged, and the more quiet type that need their master to tell them what to say.

ShuterSunset":1ol5m605 said:
What are the Red Poll lines that are performing well down there in Australia? I have been trying to find some outcross genetics to add to our Red Poll herd over here in the US. Just trying to get some ideas of who has the real 'beef' type Red Polls over there as we are trying to focus on making thick, easy keeping, stout and structurally correct Red Polls at our place.
Contact Jovid - he has some of the best looking cattle on here - of all breeds.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2gfy65fz said:
ShuterSunset":2gfy65fz said:
What are the Red Poll lines that are performing well down there in Australia? I have been trying to find some outcross genetics to add to our Red Poll herd over here in the US. Just trying to get some ideas of who has the real 'beef' type Red Polls over there as we are trying to focus on making thick, easy keeping, stout and structurally correct Red Polls at our place.

I agree :D

That is a fine looking bull Jovid despite some minor negative comments.Those comments would fade to insignificance if the SUPERGENE people got to have a say about him. They wouldn't even have to view him before condemning him.

Malter":2sshknp7 said:
That is a fine looking bull Jovid despite some minor negative comments.Those comments would fade to insignificance if the SUPERGENE people got to have a say about him. They wouldn't even have to view him before condemning him.

Which bull are you talking about?

I think they would mean the excellent looking one on your forum page titled what do you think of this Bull

zingaah":2e8curn6 said:
I mean the excellent looking one on your forum page titled what do you think of this Bull

We really like him and his calves have done well also.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3d31z01j said:
ShuterSunset":3d31z01j said:

Jovid and his partner have owned a bull of ours in the past and I have a couple of heifers from their place already. So far most of the females we have brought up here from Oklahoma haven't transitioned real well to our management and resources. Not saying that they are bad cattle, just haven't worked real well in our system. I oughta post some pictures of some of our cattle sometime. I don't think that our cattle are all that much different from Jovid's in type and kind, maybe a bit flashier as far as eye appeal but the same type of thick, sound functional cattle who perform well. I guess that is just my thoughts, some of the other breeders in the states may think differently though as we have been involved in the showring quite a bit lately. I will admit that after looking at my cattle all the time and not seeing that many other Red Polls except a couple of times a year, I can get a little barn blind.

Latest posts