Auction Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Sorry to report that the two bull caves did not make it. However, the heifer is doing fine. I appreciate all the good information and suggestions that I received. I have four school-aged children all interested in cattle. I feel that this will be a good way to get them hands on experience on cattle at an a early age.

I have an 11 year old that helps with the calves. One of then is his, so he takes care of it himself. It is a good way to teach responsibility and he can use the extra chores. He enjoys it. It is also a good way to teach about life and death. I hope your kids get a lot from their experience. Sorry about losing the two bull calves. This is a real good place to learn about health and nutrition, as there are some really knowledgable folks on the boards that will help in any way. I have learned a great deal here myself.

Sorry that I hijacked your thread. It was not my intent. Better luck next time at the sale.

T-Bone":3lr9o5ca said:
Sorry to report that the two bull caves did not make it. However, the heifer is doing fine. I appreciate all the good information and suggestions that I received. I have four school-aged children all interested in cattle. I feel that this will be a good way to get them hands on experience on cattle at an a early age.

How did the kids take it? Maybe want to get some nice calves next time so the kids dont just see the down side (a high death rate). Just a thought I had while reading your last post.

Mike

T-Bone, I'm new to the forum but not to raising calves, and especially sale barn calves. My husband and I bought an abandoned pig farm, we didn't want pigs, we wanted cattle, but were afraid to spend big money to get started. So we bought a few sale babies. They unfortunately all start out the same, thin, and scours. Over the past 6 yrs and some 30 calves later I've only lost 2.
Use a good milk replacer, and not from TSC. I use Diary Maid. I also use Entrolyte HE from Southern States. It's a nutritional supplement for young calves. If I have one that is scouring badly or seems ill - 6am they get a milk replacer bottle as much as they'll drink, 12noon they get the Entrolyte HE bottle as much as they want, 6pm they get milk replacer bottle, 12midnight a Entrolye HE bottle. It only takes a few days - I can stop the Entrolyte HE. And I do agree about the sunshine, Vit D, very important for them to buck and play, etc.
I also AGREE to the rubbing and touching.
I have a sale barn baby, paid $40.00 for her, had for 5 yrs, she takes by AI the first time, never have to hit her twice. She has the best calves and is a good mother, and has great respect for me and my family.
You were smart to post on this forum, I've learned so much just taking a few minutes a week to read.

T-Bone":3h1dqzsu said:

Dang, sorry to hear that T-Bone. Well lets make sure that heifer gets going good! :lol:

Have you got her away from the manure/old feed from the other 2? Get that cleaned up or her away from it.

Were they scoured or just theruns? Next time ( lets hope there isn't a need for a next time ) it would help us if you had ages/weights temperatures, and exact symptoms. You gotta find a feed regime for new arrivals because even mature cows can be upset by sudden feed changes, and it looks like you were feeding these guys everything you could stuff in em! :shock: Too much milk replacer will give them the runs too, go by the label or what your vet says.

You gotta come up with a procedure for how you receive your calves ( take temperatures, seperate from other cattle for 30 days, receiving diet ) and coolpop, Alice, msscamp would likely all help you with that.( I have very little experience with bottle calves, only had 2 in 5 years ).

Also come up with treatment protocols for the illnesses you expect to see and have the meds/supplies on hand to do it right away if faced with it again. I know with kids your budget is likely tight but check with a vet if you need to get some prescription antibiotics on hand, and direction on when to use them.

You are buying in a tough segment, salebarn calves, any chance you could source em from a neighbour? Any time they go to the salesbarn they are exposed to every disease on every animal that went through there.

Good Luck with that heifer and thanks for letting us know.

MikeJoel":sa9rwtjp said:
But I also know (yep, may not know a lot but I do this at least), that you can get a calf moving (among many other ways) by rubbing it vigorously.

Mike

If one has done their homework, knows how to receive a new calf from the salebarn (or anywhere else for that matter), has a proper health regime, understands proper nutrition and how to feed a calf THE CALF WILL NOT BE DOWN IN THE FIRST PLACE, barring obvious issues!!! :roll: :roll: About the only time one should have to worry about getting a calf up is if something happened to cause mom to croak during or shortly after delivery. Just my thoughts.

PS I apologize for the lateness of my response, it's been a bit busy around here lately - spring, branding, shipping to summer pasture, and all.

Dang Msscamp, there you go making sense again (twice on this post). Yet instead of acknowledging it the newbies are falling all over themselves explaining either what they don't know or what they think they might know.

frits":364d57h0 said:
Dang Msscamp, there you go making sense again (twice on this post).

I'll try to watch that in the future. :oops: ;-) I'm not touching the rest of your post, though! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS Thanks. :)

frits":ct5s9zu3 said:
....Yet instead of acknowledging it the newbies are falling all over themselves explaining either what they don't know or what they think they might know.

Oh brother. :lol: :lol:
I assume you were laughing hard while typing this?

Mike

MikeJoel":7pkpcq27 said:
Good. :)
It shows good character when you can laugh at yourself.

;-)

Mike

One of these days you might be able to get past whatever stage of development you're currently in and actually be able to listen and learn from others. Maybe. Someone whom I respect and admire very much once told me that 'the only dead bang sure thing about raising cattle is there is no dead bang sure thing about raising cattle'. He was absolutely right. You might want to think about that. Just my thoughts.

'the only dead bang sure thing about raising cattle is there is no dead bang sure thing about raising cattle'.

Amen, Msscamp!

Alice

Alice":zupoxn9t said:
'the only dead bang sure thing about raising cattle is there is no dead bang sure thing about raising cattle'.

Amen, Msscamp!

Alice

Thanks Alice, but I can't take credit for it - the credit belongs to Dun.

msscamp":2y8icdqf said:
Alice":2y8icdqf said:

Amen, Msscamp!

Alice

Thanks Alice, but I can't take credit for it - the credit belongs to Dun.

ok, Dun, Amen...also...

msscamp":3p7bnhfx said:
MikeJoel":3p7bnhfx said:

;-)

Mike

One of these days you might be able to get past whatever stage of development you're currently in and actually be able to listen and learn from others. Maybe. Someone whom I respect and admire very much once told me that 'the only dead bang sure thing about raising cattle is there is no dead bang sure thing about raising cattle'. He was absolutely right. You might want to think about that. Just my thoughts.

Hmmm. Actually I have been listening and learning. Maybe just cause I choose to disagree on a topic? Adults usually can take someone disagreeing without having to act like the other person is a child or putting them down.

So if there is "no dead bang way" then why isn't what I said right?

Isn't it interesting that certain people you simply cant disagree with on this board or your ------ (fill in the put down).

Still think Im right about it anyway :)

Have a nice night,

Mike

MikeJoel":3p2rsl7n said:
msscamp":3p2rsl7n said:
MikeJoel":3p2rsl7n said:

;-)

Mike

Hmmm. Actually I have been listening and learning. Maybe just cause I choose to disagree on a topic? Adults usually can take someone disagreeing without having to act like the other person is a child or putting them down.

So if there is "no dead bang way" then why isn't what I said right?

Isn't it interesting that certain people you simply cant disagree with on this board or your ------ (fill in the put down).

Still think Im right about it anyway :)

Have a nice night,

Mike

Whatever you think, but I'm not the one having to 'massage' my calves to get them up and going - that should tell you something right there! Oh, but I forgot, you're the expert here - not me. So sorry. I'll try to remember next time.

msscamp":2own9pol said:
Whatever you think, but I'm not the one having to 'massage' my calves to get them up and going - that should tell you something right there! Oh, but I forgot, you're the expert here - not me. So sorry. I'll try to remember next time.

Hmmm. Where exactly did I say I was an expert??
Glad to hear your not massaging your calves, I haven't either.

Tells me that reading should be done carefully.

Anyway so like if a cow has a calf and the cow either dies or ignores the calf you sit and watch?

Mike