Auction Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

T-Bone

Reaction score
Bought three calves at the auction last Friday. They were in real bad shape. Already lost one. Paid an average of 40.00 ea. I have a heifer (2-3weeks old) and a bull calve (4-5weeks old). The bull calve would not drink milk replacer at first. He does eat creep, Calf Manna and grass. His stools were very hard at first then got softer and now are very runny. Yesterday he would not get up. So we forced feed him a bottle of milk replacer in the morning and a bottle of kick-start (from TSC) in the afternoon. After the kick-start he did get up and walk around. I also gave him a tablet of antibiotic from the local feed store and a tube of colostrum. This morning I got him up and he was eating grass but he wanted to sit back down. He drank 2 bottles of milk replacer this morning. I have them in a 16' cattle trailer. Any suggestions on medications, feeding or anything to look for? Thank you for your help!

Colostrum at that age will not do anything for the calf...nor will one tablet of antibiotic, I'm afraid.

Did you give him 2 full bottles of milk replacer, one right after the other? That could be a bit much. Also, if he's eating creep and calf manna, maybe it wouldn't hurt to just let him eat that. We got a calf about that age once and he beat us half to death trying to "force" a bottle on him. We left him alone and he did just fine on the calf feed.

Why don't you give both of them injections of Vit. A,E,D and wait and see if you need to spend anymore money on them. Oh, and take them out of that trailer.

Good luck, TBone

Alice

Yes, TBone, it is a huge problem if he doesn't want to stand up. It means he's a very sick calf.

You paid $40 for a calf that age at the auction. There is a reason he was at the auction...and it's not a positive reason, let me assure you.

Here in Stephenville, calves that go for that are dead men walking, TBone.

Alice

I would get them out of the trailer into a clean pen with some protection from wind/weather. Take their temps, and if high temp, then talk to vet and get an antibiotic, such as Nuflor.

I would also make sure they are getting the required amount of a good quality milk replacer a couple of times a day. They don't need to get dehydrated.

T-Bone":3czk5ksl said:
I have a heifer (2-3weeks old) and a bull calve (4-5weeks old). The bull calve would not drink milk replacer at first. He does eat creep, Calf Manna and grass. His stools were very hard at first then got softer and now are very runny. Yesterday he would not get up. So we forced feed him a bottle of milk replacer in the morning and a bottle of kick-start (from TSC) in the afternoon. After the kick-start he did get up and walk around. I also gave him a tablet of antibiotic from the local feed store and a tube of colostrum. This morning I got him up and he was eating grass but he wanted to sit back down. He drank 2 bottles of milk replacer this morning. I have them in a 16' cattle trailer. Any suggestions on medications, feeding or anything to look for? Thank you for your help!

The first thing I would do is get them out of the trailer and into a pen with some type of wind-break, run-in shed - something that will give them some protection from the elements. That's going to help considerably as it will give them some room and sunshine - the natural enemy of a lot of bacteria and viruses, and a necessary part of achieving (sp?) and maintaining healthy animals. The second thing I would do is keep the shed cleaned out and sprayed down on a regular basis so long as any of the calves have diarrhea or any other type of illness. To feed a calf that has not been eating regularly 2 bottles of milk replacer is inviting more problems than it sounds like you are able to handle. ALWAYS increase feed gradually, whether it's milk, grain, hay, or whatever. As far as the diarrhea is concerned, we always give 2 tablets the first dose (we use terramycin, and it probably won't work for salebarn calves) and then back them down to one for subsequent dosings, we also give one additional dose after the scours appear to have cleared up just for insurance. What kind of antibiotic did you give this calf? Just my thoughts.

Please do not get offended by me saying this as I am not attempting to be rude in anyway. Your comment about if it is a problem that the calf does not want to stand up makes me think you don't have a lot of experience with cattle. You paid $40.00 each for these animals that means they don't have great odds however you did buy them and now it's your responsibility to do as much as you can for their comfort. Obviously you care enough to come on here and ask questions but if you are unsure if it is a problem if the calf does not want to stand then you should be calling a vet to come look at the calves and give you advice on both feeding and medication. I am in agreement with everyone else, get them out of the trailer. Sunshine and fresh air are required for healthy animals.
Good luck and let us know what happens. :)

I had the same problem with a little Black Baldie calf I bought at sale. At the risk of branding myself as a hobbyist, which I am, let me tell me what I did in addition to what you have already done.

I had them penned up, (bought two), and the baldie would only lay down to take his bottle. I let him do that, but then after I fed him I would rub him down. Just all over. Call me a mom, but I think they need to be touched when they are little like that. Think of the trauma they undergo just from going through the sale barn. Then I made him get up and walk around. I made him go outside into the sunshine and clean pasture. Even if he laid badk down after a while. I did this 3 or four times a day. I think it did him good. He still isn't the best eater I had seen, but he is active.

I may get blasted, but it can't hurt to try.

Lammie, what you did made him feel better and you feel better. I decided a long time ago whatever I tried with these sale calves I'd have nothing to apologize for, because my heart was in it and that baby calves best interest was my only aim. And who's to say what difinitively will and won't work when it comes to these poor babies that have been absolutely stressed to the max at the sale barn, forget what they went thru being taken to the barn, unload, prodded, reloaded, unloaded.

We have absolutely no idea where these sale calves have come from, if they've had colostrum, if they haven't. We're working with a blank sheet...we do the best we can with what we have to work with and it's a shame that we have to worry about getting "blasted" when we share it with others. I personally applaud you.

Alice

If they are still in the trailer take them to your local vet. Then put them in a clean pen.

Also, I have posted this before. I bought a little Simm bull calf at sale and he never did take a bottle. Just started right in eating calf starter and hay. I think he must have been about that same age as T-Bone's calves. He's the biggest calf I have. Big boned and filled out nicely. I am looking forward to getting him in the freezer. That certainly isn't typical, I should think, but I did have that experience. I just never did get him to even have a passing interest in bottle or bucket.

Also, Alice, I didn't think that anyone would make fun of me or anything, it just made sense to me that living things need touch. Especially after all the poking and kicking they get at the sale barn. I understand that this isn't always possible, but it can't hurt as a part of the humane treatment and medications we offer our animals. I just have 6 calves right now, all bought at the sale barn. I paid anywhere from 50.00 to 240.00 for them, the latter I plan to put in the freezer. I have the time to spend a little extra effort on them. I understand that if you have a lot more to raise it isn't always possible and you have to cut your losses somewhere.

I have raised several bottle calves and fortunatley have not lost a single one. All were bought at 3 days old. The first one I had a few years ago got sick soon after bringing him home. I had him enclosed in a barn stall. An old timer from down the road stopped by to offer advice and he said "get him out of that barn and into the pasture and he will do bettr". I did and saw an immediate turn around in his health. Since then I have let them roam the pasture during the day and penned them up at night until they were about 3 weeks old then it was full time pasture day and night. I would also suggest more feedings with electrolytes. That always seems to jump start calves especially if they are scouring.

Lammie":3gzsw00q said:
....it just made sense to me that living things need touch...

I believe it too. I know I dont know a lot about cows but I think if you look at the way the animals act you can learn a lot.

What does a cow do to get the calf up and going. She starts rubbing her all over (of course she's got to use her tongue and muzzle.... I suggest you use your hands instead :lol: ).

I know leaving the calf and cow together isn't the normal way anymore, but our first cow just had her calf a couple weeks ago and we have left them together and it is interesting watching them interact and how the cow reacts to people.

Touch is absolutely a big thing to the calf.

Just my thoughts
Mike

El_Putzo":2pnekd3e said:
MikeJoel":2pnekd3e said:
I know leaving the calf and cow together isn't the normal way anymore

It's not? I assume you are referring to a dairy operation?

Yes. Sorry. Keep forgetting just because mine is a dairy cow doesnt mean those are the only kind LOL :oops:

Mike

MikeJoel":x91g63t9 said:
Lammie":x91g63t9 said:

I believe it too. I know I dont know a lot about cows but I think if you look at the way the animals act you can learn a lot.

What does a cow do to get the calf up and going. She starts rubbing her all over (of course she's got to use her tongue and muzzle.... I suggest you use your hands instead :lol: ).

I know leaving the calf and cow together isn't the normal way anymore, but our first cow just had her calf a couple weeks ago and we have left them together and it is interesting watching them interact and how the cow reacts to people.

Just my thoughts
Mike

If you listen to fools rather than msscamp or Victoria, who have already posted, then that is your choice.

Why the hell would you buy poor doin calves at the salebarn and come in here askin for advice?? It is clear you know nothing about cattle husbandry so why would you start off with animals the most experienced cattlemen in here would give a poor chance too?

Were they to be pets? Are you lookin to profit?

Oh, and on the touch thing, I have one that I am bottle feeding that if she doesn't straighten out her legs a bit I am gonna touch her. Between the eyes. Not her fault, maybe a little of mine. But that is the business.

This type of post reminds me of goldfish being flushed and alligators in the sewers.

And a POS one cow owner using someone elses signature phrase is naughty as well.

AngusLimoX":b3da453z said:
MikeJoel":b3da453z said:
Lammie":b3da453z said:

Just my thoughts
Mike

If you listen to fools rather than msscamp or Victoria, who have already posted, then that is your choice.

Why the be nice would you buy poor doin calves at the salebarn and come in here askin for advice?? It is clear you know nothing about cattle husbandry so why would you start off with animals the most experienced cattlemen in here would give a poor chance too?

Were they to be pets? Are you lookin to profit?

Oh, and on the touch thing, I have one that I am bottle feeding that if she doesn't straighten out her legs a bit I am gonna touch her. Between the eyes. Not her fault, maybe a little of mine. But that is the business.

This type of post reminds me of goldfish being flushed and alligators in the sewers.

And a POS one cow owner using someone elses signature phrase is naughty as well.

Which begs the question I wanted to ask in the beginning, but didn't. Is the original TBone post for real? Also, what's a POS?

Alice

Latest posts