ATV for use on hill farm

Help Support CattleToday:

Side by side ! Don't buy a new one , but get one that's been serviced . Some city folks buy them , use them a year or so and then decide to sell .

I bought a used Gator and use it often. I bought an augered feeder that is great for range pellets, but I use it for something almost every day. It's not fancy, has someone's stickers on it and none of that matters a bit. I agree that you are likely to get more use from a utility vehicle, but good luck with whatever you choose.

Wow, lots of good information that I read and considered.
Leaning toward a Honda Foreman with a 2 inch ball to pull an old 5 X 7 trailer I already own. That way I can unhook the trailer (which I will use mostly on level ridges) and use the ATV to cross the woods and creek to check on cows, saving a lot of wear on my truck.
Really enjoyed everyone's thoughts.

I have had Honda ATVs my whole life. I still have one, and it certainly has its place. However, I needed to replace one a few weeks ago and I started shopping for both ATVs and side by sides. I went in a direction a lot of people don't consider. I bought a Japanese mini truck. You can get a Honda, Subaru, Mitsubishi, or Daihatsu. I chose the Daihatsu because it's owned by Toyota and this particular truck had very few miles on it. It comes standard with 4x4, heated cab, wipers, and a flat bed that can haul more than any side by side. They have been known to last over 200,000 miles, much longer than any side by side. I put a 2 inch lift on it with aggressive ATV tires, then added a receiver in the front so I can put a winch on it. I couldn't be happier and I'm really looking forward to that heater when the cold weather arrives.
We looked at a Daihatsu probably 12 years ago. My husband didn't fit in it! Next!

I have had Honda ATVs my whole life. I still have one, and it certainly has its place. However, I needed to replace one a few weeks ago and I started shopping for both ATVs and side by sides. I went in a direction a lot of people don't consider. I bought a Japanese mini truck. You can get a Honda, Subaru, Mitsubishi, or Daihatsu. I chose the Daihatsu because it's owned by Toyota and this particular truck had very few miles on it. It comes standard with 4x4, heated cab, wipers, and a flat bed that can haul more than any side by side. They have been known to last over 200,000 miles, much longer than any side by side. I put a 2 inch lift on it with aggressive ATV tires, then added a receiver in the front so I can put a winch on it. I couldn't be happier and I'm really looking forward to that heater when the cold weather arrives.

We've had a Suzuki Carry for close to a decade now. They are a bargain for what you get compared to a side by side.

It is a useful little rig. It'll go almost anywhere if you can keep the belly off the ground. Ours has an auger feeder in the bed.

Parts are very difficult to get. There's a dealer across the state that stocks some parts, but not a lot. I had a heck of a time getting some shifter cables for it, and never did get the right ones.

I don't know if you'd ever get 200k out of one on the farm. Ours is pretty well trashed and doesn't even have 100k miles. Two engines, transmission is shot but is useable, multiple clutches, many front end rebuilds, etc. There isn't much I haven't touched at one point. For several years it ran for at least a couple hours every day of the week.

I never could find a set of tires that would last on it either. ATV tires don't hold the weight that well and wear quick, and the pizza cutters that they come with aren't any good off the street.

The mini-trucks I "tried" to get into required some one of probably no taller then 6'-0", maybe 6'-1". Seats only go back so far, then it knees in the dash, if you can get in!

Since I last posted on this thread, I've seen two mini's for sale on Facebook Kansas Farmers/Hunters/Ranchers Buy, Sell or Trade. I can't remember the last time I've seen one listed. Little creepy! Similar to Googling something, and all the sudden you're bombarded with ads for that product.

Latest posts