ATV Boom Sprayer ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Looking at an ATV mounted boom sprayer for field edges and odd areas. Seems to be two designs out there. A $400 2.4 GPM pump with 12' boom and a $500 5.5 GPM pump with 24' boom.

Any tips here? Is a 24' wide boom practical without super smooth fields?

I have a 60 gallon sprayer on a little trailer pull behind the UTV with a 5.2 or 5.5 gpm pump. It has a 15' boom. The boom is set too low and the ends will hit the ground as it sways over gopher mounds, etc. Boomless would probably be better. Mostly use the wand for spot spraying, but when the "spot" is big, the booms get extended to spray the larger area. I will have to add extensions on the rear bars to set it about 12" higher and then should be more functional for boom spraying.

I have a 60 gallon sprayer on a little trailer pull behind the UTV with a 5.2 or 5.5 gpm pump. It has a 15' boom. The boom is set too low and the ends will hit the ground as it sways over gopher mounds, etc. Boomless would probably be better. Mostly use the wand for spot spraying, but when the "spot" is big, the booms get extended to spray the larger area. I will have to add extensions on the rear bars to set it about 12" higher and then should be more functional for boom spraying.
I'm in the process of buying or building one for a utv with a 60g tank, also. Been really debating boom vs boom less. Uneven ground with booms is a good point.

I spot sprayed yesterday with the 60g and it took like 4hrs hours to spray the tank. I was able to cover quite a bit of ground.

I've seen some that were receiver hitch mounts with booms or boomless. They just run a hose to a manifold on the tank and had a quick connect.

You close the valve, undo the quick connect, pull the hitch and you can spot spray. Plug it all back in and you have your boom.

Seemed like a good idea to add some versatility and less wear.

I've seen some that were receiver hitch mounts with booms or boomless. They just run a hose to a manifold on the tank and had a quick connect.

You close the valve, undo the quick connect, pull the hitch and you can spot spray. Plug it all back in and you have your boom.

Seemed like a good idea to add some versatility and less wear.
Brand?

The one I saw the guy had made himself. I didn't get a chance to ask him what kind of quick connection you can use in that application.

I've been having good luck with Wilie Sprayers. They built me a spot sprayer that has been working really well. The one I talked about above. The TSC ones last me about 2 years then start falling apart.

Most likely I will go back to them to build this one, or at least get all the parts from them.

I have a 60 gallon Enduraplas that goes in the bed of my sxs. I have used it with a boom and boomless. I ended up breaking the boom but it wasn't when i was actually using it. It was folded up and i was going on uneven ground (kind of an understatement) and it hit.

When i used it on flat ground it worked just fine but I didn't find it did any better then the boomless so i don't have it on anymore. So i use it with boomless nozzles and solenoid switches where i can control left and right nozzles from cab. It also has a 50 foot hose on reel with wand.