At the risk of sounding ignorant

Help Support CattleToday:

Flacowboy

Reaction score
I'm in north florida and was wondering the other day why we don't have any shorthorns and very few maine anjou in the southeast. I assume that shorties have too much hair, but is there another reason? I know what happens whe one assumes so that's why I'm asking y'all.

the reason that you dont see those breeds there is because where you are people want heat tolorant cattle.i bet your seeing alot brahama cross brangus an beefmasters in your area.

you would have seen more shorthorn,redpoll, hereford years ago. before the brahman and their influance became popular.. i don't know of anyone in my area that has shorthorn.........i did a search and found only one registered breeder in hollypond

We have lots of angus and charolais with some herford and red angus plus some brahma influence around me. My land adjoins Southern Cattle Company, one of the big angus and char ranches.

Flacowboy":1efsnjkd said:
We have lots of angus and charolais with some herford and red angus plus some brahma influence around me. My land adjoins Southern Cattle Company, one of the big angus and char ranches.
they do have a good outfit.

Flacowboy":2zxo76ba said:
I'm in north florida and was wondering the other day why we don't have any shorthorns and very few maine anjou in the southeast. I assume that shorties have too much hair, but is there another reason? I know what happens whe one assumes so that's why I'm asking y'all.

IMO, those two breeds got caught up in the show business and ignored traits important to the commercial cattle guy. There was a nice herd of moderate framed, thick, red, horned Shorthorn cows near us.

Latest posts