Are you ready to have your tail twisted?

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter

Reaction score
Have been looking at the grand champion and reserve winners here at the livestock shows here in Texas. Surprise ,surprise, they aint Angus based. I sorta figure its about time for the meat packers to come out and tell everyone they arent raising the right type of cattle... I figure it will read something like this..............In these times of reduced cattle numbers we need cattle that will finish a larger carcass, with a yield grade 1 cut out...or something along those lines.

So Chars and Limmi breeders step forward. I think its about to be your time at the top of them heap.

Cutter for many years it is rare for clubby winners to be angus based.

I wouldn't deduce from a backwards show circuit that angus's time at the top is done. I also don't know that I agree that true industry standards have anything to do with judging at these livestock shows.

Packers are talking to their feeders who talk to their buyers to pay US based on what end product is wanted.

Jake":25ujf4bz said:

I wouldn't deduce from a backwards show circuit that angus's time at the top is done. I also don't know that I agree that true industry standards have anything to do with judging at these livestock shows.

Packers are talking to their feeders who talk to their buyers to pay US based on what end product is wanted.

Come on Jake, you should know better not to spoil a fun conversation with logic!

houstoncutter":27r2eure said:
Have been looking at the grand champion and reserve winners here at the livestock shows here in Texas. Surprise ,surprise, they aint Angus based. I sorta figure its about time for the meat packers to come out and tell everyone they arent raising the right type of cattle... I figure it will read something like this..............In these times of reduced cattle numbers we need cattle that will finish a larger carcass, with a yield grade 1 cut out...or something along those lines.

So Chars and Limmi breeders step forward. I think its about to be your time at the top of them heap.

I am old enough to have seen the industry go down that blind alley for a muggin once.
don't mean we are not dumb enough to follow another fad and get mugged again...

It's still gotta fit the box! Of course if you want grind then big carcasses with big cuts will win the day.

houstoncutter":1c18jg8g said:

Bow down to your new Char & Limousin breeder overlords!

KNERSIE":25qc2gxd said:
Jake":25qc2gxd said:

Come on Jake, you should know better not to spoil a fun conversation with logic!

Logic.....we are talking about a industry, that in one day could dramatically improve the eating quality of beef in North America in one day, by aging all beef.... That one act alone, would make more change than anything we are able to do with our breeding....I hope someone over at Walmarts is listening, they would have the power to make The packer change his pratices.

Grinding those big carcasses that dont fit the box....could you please direct me to the store where i can buy those oversize steaks at a discount... because they didnt fit the box......lol...yea I didnt think you had a store for those.....They discount em then sell em at a premium..........Can anyone say ANTITRUST LAWS being inforced.....maybe then we would be having talks about pink slime and ecoli outbreaks

you can't do a lot of ageing in one day ... :banana: :banana:
But just on that, if the whole industry went to aged beef, were do you suppose they do it? I would think it would require a lot of extra storage space and product sitting around for weeks at a time would have market implications. Most people in Australia wouldn't even know what you're talking about. Just my :2cents:

Houston lot of folks around here been running Red limousin bulls on Char type cows, calves sell real good. Must mean somebody somewhere likes them.

Old_man_emu":1wrih8j2 said:
But just on that, if the whole industry went to aged beef, were do you suppose they do it? I would think it would require a lot of extra storage space and product sitting around for weeks at a time would have market implications. Most people in Australia wouldn't even know what you're talking about. Just my :2cents:

Mate that's because half the people think (or want to think) meat comes from Coles Or Woolies on a styrofoam tray not from Catttle sheep etc.Hanging for a fews day helps but trying to convince the public to pay extra could be a challenge

2012 Houston Champion and reserve, both sired by Solid Gold (a heatWave son)

Fort Worth Champion sired by HeatWave, Reserve (a black calf) Sired by Monopoly (a Heat Wave son out of an Angus cow)

Heat Wave is a Chi*Main*Angus*Shorthorn cross, I would have to say that HeatWave played a bigger part in the calves then the breed division they were put in.

I guess my point is that they are still club calves heavily influenced with club calf genetics. Need to wait on tooting the horn about the non-Angus deal until they have no Angus in them.

All you have to do in Texas is be the right color to end up in that division, the calf could be a HeatWave *Shorthorn/Char and show in the Char division. Except in the Angus division, they sift out pure bred Angus from the Angus division because they are too good, but let calves with very little Angus if any in them, show in that division because they look Angus.

krankieone":3hhtdzyf said:
Old_man_emu":3hhtdzyf said:

Mate that's because half the people think (or want to think) meat comes from Coles Or Woolies on a styrofoam tray not from Catttle sheep etc.Hanging for a fews day helps but trying to convince the public to pay extra could be a challenge
Theses same people think if a beast has horns it's a bull and all dairy cattle are black and white and that yoghourt comes from trees!

Packers want the best of both worlds: decent quality grade and decent yield grade. To get that usually takes both English and continental influence. There's room for everyone.

If there's a trend developing away from that, it's gonna take awhile for us to see it. Trends aren't established in a couple of shows in one state in the same year.

Old_man_emu":1kx260qp said:

Dont know for sure Emu, but I dont think it would be all that difficult to have the packers age beef. They close down for a 2 week period for the holidays. They could start the meat aging for 14 days, then start breaking it down in the boxes, and replace that meat with new meat coming in. It could be done, and it would have a bigger impact on consumer satisfaction, than anything we as cattle producers could achieve.

And then some tv reporter would report how the beef industry has to allow the beef to start to rot to make it tender enough to eat, and it would be all over the news. Not many consumers realize what ageing beef is about. gs

houstoncutter":3uqrv1j3 said:
Old_man_emu":3uqrv1j3 said:

Dont know for sure Emu, but I dont think it would be all that difficult to have the packers age beef. They close down for a 2 week period for the holidays. They could start the meat aging for 14 days, then start breaking it down in the boxes, and replace that meat with new meat coming in. It could be done, and it would have a bigger impact on consumer satisfaction, than anything we as cattle producers could achieve.

Do you realise how much cooler space it would take for 2 weeks production in a big ''kill plant''? :shock:

Latest posts