Are you considering a change?

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN":15gptcyu said:
I got rid of my older cows with high cell issues, running tank of less than 100,000 now, a plus htere, am waiting for replacements and another calf crop to hit. I must come up with a better feed program to stay in the business though soo that will be the next change
what typpe an protine is the dairy feed your feeding.course gound or pelleted feed.an what does the feed mix have in it.

This is my dilemma I really want to get a tub grinder and grind the hay we feed but don't know much about what to mix in with the hay to make a good dairy ration, as money is always an issue-never enough. So yeah if anyone has some helpful suggstions, would be interested in hearing them-Right now we get a mix made up by a local grain guy, about 17% protein, with whole cotten, ground corn, distillers grain, gluten and vitamins/minerals, I feed that in the barn, and right now they are just eating better quality round bales free choice. its not the best feed system, but with the high cost of everything, we do what we can-but i do think a tub grinder could be a inexpensive way to feed the cows better, something i have been thinking about for sometime now-used ones are hard to find, and that would be all we could afford to get.Winter feeding is tough, when the pastures are going, my milk production goes way up-alot of the farms down the road, feed silage, alfalfa ground up with $$$ machines-they also milk over 100 cows so are kind of in a different league than myself-

Latest posts