Anyone w/ experience w/ frozen hooves on valuable calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

OK, I'm going to try this again... If she only has problems with one claw, and especially if that claw is the outside one, you can have it amputated with very good results. I personally haven't had to deal with frozen feet, but last year we had a heifer with an abscessed claw. We had tried treating it and didn't get anywhere, and in the process of talking with some other producers in the area realized that we could have that claw amputated. We contacted our vet, and he said that yes it wasn't a big deal and once it healed up she would be pretty much back to normal. So last Feb we had it removed and we had the claw removed. We had to keep her in a clean and dry area for a couple weeks and it took a couple months before she was healed up and sound again. Today, a year later you cannot tell that anything happened to her unless you see her foot.

randiliana":2coricwg said:
OK, I'm going to try this again... If she only has problems with one claw, and especially if that claw is the outside one, you can have it amputated with very good results. I personally haven't had to deal with frozen feet, but last year we had a heifer with an abscessed claw. We had tried treating it and didn't get anywhere, and in the process of talking with some other producers in the area realized that we could have that claw amputated. We contacted our vet, and he said that yes it wasn't a big deal and once it healed up she would be pretty much back to normal. So last Feb we had it removed and we had the claw removed. We had to keep her in a clean and dry area for a couple weeks and it took a couple months before she was healed up and sound again. Today, a year later you cannot tell that anything happened to her unless you see her foot.

Both claws are already gone.

We're here and the first round of bandaging is done.

The consult is tomorrow morning ... We're going to look at a foal who had a real similar issue... we will see how it goes...

Got home late last night.

Here's what we know so far:

* Both claws are gone.
* The three bones that support the two claws are also gone. Her rear right leg is currently about 1.5" shorter than the rear left leg.
* According to xrays, two bone fragments are at the base of the cannon bone, but do not appear to be splinters from the cannon bone.
* Cannon bone appears healthy and viable.
* After three days of bandage changes, "granular tissue" has grown over the entire stump -- this is the best news since this means that infection is much much less likely now -- and, the vet also said he wasn't sure that she'd grow any granular tissue since the bones in support of the claws are gone and was a little surprised that she has already done this.
* Mama is very attentive, but is letting them do their job on her little girl.
* Other than her right rear hoof (which is hardly her fault), she's a healthy, well-built heifer.
* They're building a brace for her rear right leg so that she can stand with better posture without inhibiting her growth and her structure (i.e., so that she grows with having correct posture so that it's not a problem when she gets older). The brace is getting built out of the hard yellow gas piping -- the vet showed us some of his other braces -- they seem very effective.

We still won't know much more than this for a couple of weeks.

My hope is that she'll be able to grow a hoof of some sort that will allow her to be pasture-sound and that she'll be able to do her job after she's weaned. If it works, this will be far cheaper and faster than flushing her mama and buying a few recips to put embryos in to try to get another nice heifer.

If P1, P2, P3 (the three bones below the fetlock "joint") are gone, she's not growing anything.

The brace sounds fascinating. Any chance of getting to see pictures?

I would love to see some pics if you have any. Dr Jolly is very innovative with bandages and ways of keeping things going. If you google "animal amputees pictures" there are some amazing animals there, including an elephant!

milkmaid":3lo8vxb3 said:
If P1, P2, P3 (the three bones below the fetlock "joint") are gone, she's not growing anything.

The vet has told us that, despite not having a hoof, P1, P2 or P3, that she is, in fact, growing granulated tissue over her entire stump. This is the first part of recovery. While there is a LONG way to go, things appear to be going reasonably well.

milkmaid":3lo8vxb3 said:
The brace sounds fascinating. Any chance of getting to see pictures?

Vet said that he'd be sending us the best photos of the week some time in the next day or two. He told us to expect weekly photo updates after that.

We'll see what he sends.

Granulation tissue is to be expected and a normal part of healing wounds. A new hoof is not. (I had understood the previous post as expecting the latter.)

Look forward to the pictures.

This has been a very interesting and informative thread.

I too didn't think that 'hoof' growth would occur seeing that those 3 bones are gone. I would think that since they are gone, the cells and part of the hoof structure that produces hoof-horn material is also gone.

Please post pics when you can. And thanks for all the updates, really a very interesting thread.

Katherine

I still really don't know what to expect as it regards "pasture functionality".

We'll see ... and I'll post some pictures when I get them (which is hopefully today or tomorrow).

I can answer how it might be possible to have hoof tissue without P1, P2 or P3.

Since the bone does not produce the hoof tissue, if you remove the bone the hoof tissue and other tissue is still there, like a sock without a foot in it. There is not anything to keep it solid and it might be mushy, but horn can still grow. Not necessarily a pretty thought.

I am currently working on a series of photos of the case study of one claw on one foot of one of the sheep that has lost the P1 from both claws over the last 14 months. It is taking a lot longer for me to load it all onto photobucket than I anticipated but should be there some time soon.

Vet said she is getting better and there have been no setbacks.

They are trying to build a brace that will be able to be adjusted three times by replacing one part for another. That is still at a trial and error stage.

Pictures are delayed as the lady who does that needs a heart transplant and he is letting her go at her own pace.

Bottom line is that he is pleased with her progress.

Intriguing. I'm definitely curious to see the brace too when they get pictures of that. Thanks for posting.

Why is the opposite hock wrapped?

She's been wearing the brace for the last four days with good results. She's able to stand with normal posture and it's alleviating pressure from her good rear left leg. Also, the frost-bitten tendons have healed up and we're just waiting on the skin to cover the area.

Here are pictures (in order) from the wound cleaning / bandaging / bracing earlier today. Getting the old bandage off:
WCCC_Begonia_-_10_-_2014_03_27.JPG

The stub with the bootie off:
WCCC_Begonia_-_13_-_2104_03_27.JPG

The "raw stub" before treatment:
WCCC_Begonia_-_06_-_2014_03_26.JPG

The "raw stub" part II:
WCCC_Begonia_-_07_-_2014_03_26.JPG

After treatment and cleaning:
WCCC_Begonia_-_14_-2014_03_27.JPG

A second look:
WCCC_Begonia_-_15_-2014_03_27.JPG

Putting a little weight on it: