Anyone w/ experience w/ frozen hooves on valuable calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

Good point on the healing and nutrition too.

I found good nutrition and stress reduction immediately after being through a fire and being burnt made the difference between getting over the fire, and not, and dying. The rams I found and put on high quality feed and minerals with good shelter (and the company of their flock mates - very very important that) got over third degree burns to fairly extensive areas of their body. The ones not found for a few days and left alone in a paddock without the above went off their feed and needed to be put down.

I have another injury project going at the moment. On Sunday evening one of the rams tried to jump out the yards and snapped his leg. I have had a fair bit of success with broken legged sheep in the past so I had all the material and drugs on hand and have a technique. I was inclined to shoot him but it was actually quicker to splint him and see how he was next day. He is about three times heavier (120+ kg) than most of the sheep (30-40 kg) I have fixed in the past. Usually when sheep approach his weight I cant get the splint to stabilise the leg enough (mostly because they panic and gallop about on it). I have been surprised how well he has done over the past 4 days, probably because he is fairly quiet and does not panic much and I have given him some pet sheep to live with. It was a fairly nasty break too, about 3/4 of the way up the back cannon bone with lots of bone fragments.

Keep us posted - pics too if you can.

Well, the skin grew over her stump w/o issue almost a month ago ... and ... if all goes well, we'll be picking her up around Labor Day to bring her home.

Sorry for no pictures or other updates in a long time ... no news is good news ... :)

Thanks for the update and I am glad it worked out for you - again, pics if possible.

The ram I splinted came good despite a very crunchy complex break. He still favours it a little so I will see if he is good to work next April. Amazing how they can heal.

Here she is at 6mo. The vet is guessing she's a shade over 400lbs. Given everything she's been through, I'm feeling pretty good about her condition. She's been on milk-replacer since she was weaned three months ago -- no sign of the pooched belly bottle-calf look due to the type of milk-replacer she's been on.

Anyhow ... here she is ...

WCCC_Begonia_-_50_-_2014_08_10.JPG

WCCC_Begonia_-_51_-_2014_08_10.JPG

WCCC_Begonia_-_52_-_2014_08_10.JPG

WCCC_Begonia_-_53_-_2014_08_10.JPG

WCCC_Begonia_-_54_-_2014_08_10.JPG

WCCC_Begonia_-_55_-_2014_08_10.JPG

She looks great, really nice looking heifer. She is obviously not favouring it enough for it to change her body shape as she looks very even and well muscled both sides so a definite success as far as comfort to the animal. Congratulations!

Thanks for the pictures.

TransOva called today.

They think she'll be ready to try to aspirate the first time before the end of March.

What a long (and expensive!) road this has been.

... I sure hope this ends up with some awesome embryo calves on the ground ...

The first aspiration has been scheduled and the bull has been picked. We should have an answer about how this first go-round went on April 9th. I'm hopeful, but not overly optimistic ... We'll see.

Latest posts