Anyone had anything to do with this breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Kyla thinks I'm crazy, but I kinda like them. English Longhorns. Granted some of the udders are pretty shocking

englishlonghorn-web-1.jpg

English_Longhorn_cow_and_calf.jpg

mg3.jpg

400_F_14337523_uYV3tuMJixT2LqPHuMyMmVQ4oHiyhhyR.jpg

cow1.jpg

Keren-I reckon that you are onto something here,I can see them taking over from the Angus and Hereford in the near future :shock: .Jokes aside-they have great length and must weigh a ton(well almost).

Keep in mind I get strange thoughts! I wonder if the Shorthorn and Longhorn in britain were developed at the same time. Or if the Shorthorn was derived from them to get rid of some of the horn span.

dun":ojc9l0hj said:
Keep in mind I get strange thoughts! I wonder if the Shorthorn and Longhorn in britain were developed at the same time. Or if the Shorthorn was derived from them to get rid of some of the horn span.

I get your point, I just wondered about using these to get back to the old style shorthorns - I love shorthorns but the ones we have here now are extreme framed, very rangey, long legged, narrow gutted, fine boned, hard keeping types. Of course, thats a generalisation and I'm sure you would find the type I like (moderate frame, deep, easy keeping) if you looked hard enough.

Udders and heavy fronts aside, you've just gotta admire these cows for their depth and sheer capacity. I just wondered if anyone had had anything to do with them personally. Heck I dont even know if I can get any in Australia.

We had members of the English Longhorn Society come to our place about 8 years ago or so. They are a real cool group of people. They toured a handful of Texas Longhorn herds, but I think the other ones they toured were herds that were bred for horn.

What I remember about their cattle:
They were nearly extinct, or got to really low numbers, much like the Texas Longhorns. Now, most of the animals are raised on small places, that are taken care of amazingly. Since there is not much room, the English Longhorns developed/evolved much different than the Texas Longhorn. Needless to say, there is much more animal in one of the English Longhorns than a Texas Longhorn. If I remember correctly, they have a very good feed conversion rate and the quality of the meat is very good, as well.

I do remember them noting that udder quality was the biggest problem they faced with their cattle. They were very impressed with the udder quality of the Texas Longhorns. In fact, we had a female that had calved at 19 months old, about 2 weeks before they visited, and they were shocked with the job she was doing with that calf while just on pasture and with the udder quality of the heifer.

Also, they preferred thin downward swooping horns, versus most Texas Longhorn breeders preferring upward and thicker horns.

Thats pretty much all I can remember about their cattle, but the people and the cattle information they shared with us was very interesting.

Ryan

dun":3vfuyhof said:

I know a long-time Corriente breeder who has done a lot of research on the origins and history of the Spanish cattle in the Americas. He believes that the Longhorns split from the Corriente's on their evolutionary path due to an infusion of English Longhorn blood followed by natural selection in their environment.

I had never seen the English Longhorns before, didn't realize they were still around as a distinct breed. A lot of bone and substance to them for sure. But if those are the best udders they could find for their "promotional" cow photo's, I wouldn't want anything to do with them. They look like a draft animal, you could sure make an impressive team of oxen with a couple of those.

some more pics from that website, just cos I think most on this forum enjoy looking at pics of good cattle

I like your bull pick better kyla, but I dont mind this guy either

cd2_4.jpg

Better picture of the guy you like

cd1_11.jpg

I quite like this guy

Blackbrook_Philosopher.jpg

Same bull two years later

Mr__Mrs_JW_Stanleys_Blackbrook_Philosopher_-_Breed_Champion.jpg

Berkshire_Show_2008.JPG

Dunstall_junior_bulls.JPG

Ryan":qp5nl3zw said:
We had members of the English Longhorn Society come to our place about 8 years ago or so. They are a real cool group of people. They toured a handful of Texas Longhorn herds, but I think the other ones they toured were herds that were bred for horn.

What I remember about their cattle:
They were nearly extinct, or got to really low numbers, much like the Texas Longhorns. Now, most of the animals are raised on small places, that are taken care of amazingly. Since there is not much room, the English Longhorns developed/evolved much different than the Texas Longhorn. Needless to say, there is much more animal in one of the English Longhorns than a Texas Longhorn. If I remember correctly, they have a very good feed conversion rate and the quality of the meat is very good, as well.

I do remember them noting that udder quality was the biggest problem they faced with their cattle. They were very impressed with the udder quality of the Texas Longhorns. In fact, we had a female that had calved at 19 months old, about 2 weeks before they visited, and they were shocked with the job she was doing with that calf while just on pasture and with the udder quality of the heifer.

Also, they preferred thin downward swooping horns, versus most Texas Longhorn breeders preferring upward and thicker horns.

Thats pretty much all I can remember about their cattle, but the people and the cattle information they shared with us was very interesting.

Ryan

Thanks so much Ryan, very interesting. Its amazing the variety of horn shapes they have in the breed. Personally I prefer the upward horns to the downward curving ones. I wonder how much improvement they have made in the udder quality? I do like the more traditional beef phenotype of the english longhorn over the texas longhorn, but I completely understand why the texas longhorn is the way it is

Should I assume the downward horns were weighted? Doesn't seem like in nature they'd be worth much for defense.

The biggest problem with trying to improve udders or make any other serious genetic improvment is that the gene pool is so small.

Latest posts