Anyone got a '61-66 Ford sitting out back?

Help Support CattleToday:

I saw a full restored 61 Ford pu yesterday. I thought someone welded the cab corners to the bedsides. Turns out they're made that way. Imagine an el Camino. Pretty neat, actually. I personally am not an old Ford (or new Ford) fan but it was pretty slick. Said they made them that way in '61 & '62.

This is the truck I was talking about. 61 Ford f100 (I assume)

Attachments

• 93C76668-13D5-41F8-BFC2-6375D8F7A8B0.jpeg
    93C76668-13D5-41F8-BFC2-6375D8F7A8B0.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 036E9DC1-5B06-4F3C-8E7B-6DD6F011EFA6.jpeg
    036E9DC1-5B06-4F3C-8E7B-6DD6F011EFA6.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 7
This is the truck I was talking about. 61 Ford f100 (I assume)
Those were called unibody trucks, Ford came out with them in 1961 and discontinued them in '63 or '64 I believe. Ford thought they were the wave of the future and placed the majority of their resources into that line, but still made a fleetside and stepside bed body which had a separate bed. They used the fleetside bed from the previous generation ('59 and prior) up until '64 as they didn't take the time to design a new bed to match the '61-'66 body style until then. The '61-'63ish trucks with factory mis-matched beds are referred to as "wrongside" pickups.

20210403_092750.jpg

Here's Lucky in all of her glory, note the strap holding the roof down and doors shut... Wife has given Lucky her new name as the last person to title the truck had the last name of Lucky, and she's pretty lucky to not be in a scrapyard at this point.

View attachment 3581

Here's Lucky in all of her glory, note the strap holding the roof down and doors shut... Wife has given Lucky her new name as the last person to title the truck had the last name of Lucky, and she's pretty lucky to not be in a scrapyard at this point.
Should of let the roof blow off and sold it as one of those fancy convertible pickups Chevy was so excited for the other day. 😎

It'll probably be this winter before I get to work on it much, but I got both door latches and the handles to function properly last night. I'm going to try and keep the body looking just the way it is, and just repair what it needs structurally to make it safe. The 292 V8 is free, so I'm probably going to go through that and freshen it up. If it's toast, I'm considering putting a 4BT Cummins in it just to be different. The drivetrain will wind up like new, but I'm going for the Beverly Hillbillies/Sanford and Son look.

I'd suggest purchasing a gallon of this, put it in a pistol grip sprayer and spray in on the rust after wiping the loose stuff off with a rag. Wear latex gloves! https://www.ebay.com/itm/OSPHO-META...423563&hash=item1f20d4dbe5:g:~AAAAOSw4cdgT3uz

It will seal off the rust, put a black color on it that can be painted over. Try it on an inconspicuous area or another piece of rusted metal to see how it performs.

Nice project!

I just read some about the Ospho deal, and it seems most folks paint over it after using it. I don't want to paint the truck, just put some type of clear coat/wax/??? over it to maintain its current state of disrepair. Anyone here ever done anything like that with Ospho or similar?

Those were called unibody trucks, Ford came out with them in 1961 and discontinued them in '63 or '64 I believe. Ford thought they were the wave of the future and placed the majority of their resources into that line, but still made a fleetside and stepside bed body which had a separate bed. They used the fleetside bed from the previous generation ('59 and prior) up until '64 as they didn't take the time to design a new bed to match the '61-'66 body style until then. The '61-'63ish trucks with factory mis-matched beds are referred to as "wrongside" pickups.
Spot on!

Used it on the frame of my project and it didn't turn it black just almost glossed it over. Even if you didn't use it on the exterior maybe the frame or under the bed needs it. Either way your bound to have something around there rusted that you will use it on eventually. I had to buy a case when I bought it and I hope I don't ever own or more importantly work on that much rusted s$#t.

As for the attempt on my life she had no idea I had an allergy and that's far from the first time a woman has tried to kill me! (Remind me to tell you that story)Granted it usually takes a few years of marriage but we will just assume she is a fast learner. Either way no hard feelings, I am a dislikable guy.

Latest posts