anyone else feed this ?

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
ResizedImage_1445815384222_zpsusuy4zvy.jpg

you got that right... Yea I gave them one bale they devoured it and didnt stop till it was gone. Yea gotta keep them dry.

Dogs and Cows":1wlnd70j said:
Sky, do they grow peanuts near you? I would love to get some, it is relatively inexpensive, but 1-2 hrs east of me. Glad the cows like it!

Tim

Yea theres a ton of peanuts grown here I thought they raised a good amount down in meckenburg too. The drive would suck if you cant get a huge load and make it worthwhile.

Feeding crop residue just makes good sense me. The crop has already paid for the land, seed ,and fertilizer so it can be had at a fraction of the cost. I'm on my second year of using Milo regrowth. Cost me a third of what grass hay cost and you would be surprised what it test out. We started hauling it a couple weeks back.

We bought a load of peanut hay one year when hay was short around here. It took dad forever to feed the stuff. He spent hours picking the peanuts out of the hay and eating them. Dang good hay though.

fenceman":33boxvrx said:
Feeding crop residue just makes good sense me. The crop has already paid for the land, seed ,and fertilizer so it can be had at a fraction of the cost. I'm on my second year of using Milo regrowth. Cost me a third of what grass hay cost and you would be surprised what it test out. We started hauling it a couple weeks back.
Fed milo hay several years. Cow came through winter looking much better than the years they had grass hay. (coastal). You can put a bale of good coastal out and a bale of milo stalks and they'll go the stalks first everytime. AND the bales weigh a ton !!! Literally !!! Have had it tested at over 12% protein too.

We've baled and fed thousands of bales of peanut hay. Its more expensive than grass hay here. cheapest is 40.00 a roll with most getting 50 a roll. The custom balers are paying 20.00 a roll to the farmer just to bale it.

I have never seen it sold here I guess cause theres not many cattle and the local farmers will give it to you if you want to bale it. I have no idea how many bales ive fed but I know they eat those vines up like crazy. I would stick vines out and bales of hay the vines were always the first to go and cleaned up to the dirt.

I've found that peanut hay is about half the weight of good bahia grass hay by volume. But the cows sure do well on it. Sky, If someone let's you bale peanut hay for free their a dumb azz. Those vines are almost all potash, and we pay $400. a ton for potash here.

:lol2: they don't care I guess... the guy I get mine from needed culverts In his farm road I supplied pipe and placed it he told me send bill ... its been years I never sent it.. he calls me yearly to get them..

TexasBred":gnohpras said:
fenceman":gnohpras said:
Fed milo hay several years. Cow came through winter looking much better than the years they had grass hay. (coastal). You can put a bale of good coastal out and a bale of milo stalks and they'll go the stalks first everytime. AND the bales weigh a ton !!! Literally !!! Have had it tested at over 12% protein too.

Milo we got Recently averaged around 1700 pounds per roll and tested at 8.9 percent.
skyhightree1":gnohpras said:
FM you are right. How many months do you
typically feed?
We keep hay out all winter even when their on oats but they dont eat a whole lot if they have green. I guess I'd have to say 1to 3 months mostly depending on rainfall not temp.

We fed it to ours the last two years. They love it. No peanuts planted on my farm this year, so I missed the hay. Rain ruined a lot of it this time,as it came after the peanuts were plowed up. It is good hay and my cows will miss it.

hillbilly beef man":f0k5lb6d said:
We bought a load of peanut hay one year when hay was short around here. It took dad forever to feed the stuff. He spent hours picking the peanuts out of the hay and eating them. Dang good hay though.

I could see myself doing that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts