Anybody using Fleckvieh simm?

Help Support CattleToday:

It's true many of the Fleckviehs are poor calving ease high birthweight buggers. For those reasons not too many have found a place in my herd. But if you are careful in selection I think they can have a place that is far less remote than the Belgian Blues or other double-muscled breeds (which they are not).

I had the opportunity to see what the Germans are doing with dual-purpose and beef Fleckvieh in person and was impressed. The selection process for beef traits is behind as the government studs culled low milk bulls until the last few decades so a lot was lost genetically. But they are making strides in having more polled bloodlines and improving CE and CEM. What impressed me even more was the disposition of these guys and the ability to hold flesh while milking. It is possible to have a good milking animal without sacrificing maintenance energy and udder quality. While the dairy Fleckvieh lines have far more milk than what we need as beef producers the beef lines may not.

Not all country's Fleckvieh programs have the same focus. I only speak of what I have experience with.

Just remember the progress was made through crossbreeding in the US. Such progress takes longer when you can't add another breed to get to where you want to go. Would I want a herd of fullbloods in their present state? No, because they don't fit my environmental requirements. Could they be used to make some improvements with my current purebreds? On a case-by-case basis, sure.

The dairy lines have the potential to endanger the Holstein based on productivity in the milkline and rail, but that's a whole 'nother string.

Like most Continental breeds they have value in a crossbreeding system here in the US. They still excel in the environment and husbandry practices they were developed for over hundreds of years (not in the US). In a well-designed crossbreeding system, the boys I saw shouldn't result in hard calvings and would correct the poor-doing narrow chested sucked up funnel butts that so many cry and whine about on this board.

P.S. Bold Future
http://herdbook.simmental.org/simmapp/s ... br=1205585

"Like most Continental breeds they have value in a crossbreeding system here in the US. They still excel in the environment and husbandry practices they were developed for over hundreds of years (not in the US). In a well-designed crossbreeding system, the boys I saw shouldn't result in hard calvings and would correct the poor-doing narrow chested sucked up funnel butts that so many cry and whine about on this board".

"P.S. Bold Future
http://herdbook.simmental.org/simmapp/s ... br=1205585"

P.S. Good post up to the time you wanted to pass Bold Future as a Full Blood Simmental when he is a PB Simmental Bull
ASA Nbr:1205585 BOLD FUTURE Tattoo: W30_

Single Birth PB SM Bull DNA: PCB

Owner 185454 Birth Date 02/13/1987
Breeder 012866 Original Issue: 1988-02-19

CE Brth Wean Year MCE Milk MWW Stay CW YG Marb BF REA Shr API TI
EPD 7.1 1.6 35.1 64.0 6.0 14.7 32.3 18.0 1.7 -0.08 0.02 0.02 0.42 0.62 96.2 61.1
ACC 0.91 0.96 0.96 0.96 0.92 0.95 0.95 0.91 0.61 0.61 0.86 0.86 0.86 0.40

Now, his Sire Bold Leader is a FB Simmental Bull--let's look at his numbers:

ASA Nbr:0901763 BOLD RULER Tattoo: 393R_

Fresh Embryo FB SM Bull DNA: PCB

Owner 000110 Birth Date 02/27/1983
Breeder 001622 Original Issue: 1984-03-16

EPD 0.9 2.7 32.4 57.1 -0.5 9.6 25.8 11.1 1.7 0.01 0.02 -0.01 -0.08 0.33 70.2 55.6
ACC 0.67 0.85 0.85 0.85 0.71 0.80 0.80 0.71 0.59 0.59 0.55 0.53 0.56 0.09

Now let's compare since this was your choice:

CE PB WINS
BRTH PB WINS
WW PB WINS
YW PB WINS
MCE PB WINS
MILK PB WINS
MWW PB WINS
STAY PB WINS
CW PB WINS BECAUSE ACCURACY IS HIGHER
YG PB WINS
MARB PB WINS
BF PB WINS
REA PB WINS
SHR FB WINS
API PB WINS
TI PB WINS

Thanks for helping me prove my point and your post was good and it is good information even though you were incorrect about Bold Future being a FB. Bold Future was great in his day, but that day has come and gone. Now go back and compare these two bulls to
Poderosa Rey in my earlier example--- Poderosa Rey is a little known PB sire and you can find him at Bovine Elite or ASA. His numbers are much better than either one of these.

T
http://herdbook.simmental.org/simmapp/s ...

qyoted by 4ct:
"with huge:
Birth weights
terrible CED calving ease direct
Terrible BW birth weight
Terrible MCE maternal calving ease
Terrible FE feeding efficiency
Terrible FS fame score
Terrible BF fat
Terrible Marb marbling
Terrible YG yeild grade
Terrible CW carcass weight
Terrible QG quality grade
Terrible API All Purpose Index
Terrible TI Total Index
Terrible Stay
World Renowned for the Worst Shr shear force"
4CT - these were your words - I want to know where you got statistics (not individual animals) to back up your statements.
I am a purebred breeder - but I would not go around making broad statements like that. Sure, there are lots of FB that have terrible CE & BW, but more & more there are good ones out there. You can have your opinion, but post it as your opinion - not as FACT.
Those of us that are knowledgeable in the beef industry know to take what you say "with a grain of salt" - but there are many on here that "might" think you know what your are talking about :banana: :banana: :banana:

E.P.D.'s are a tool,not something to win or loose.Trying to get the highest number is what's wrong with most purebreed operations,any fool can breed by number.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1dmgeqir said:
qyoted by 4ct:
"with huge:
Birth weights
terrible CED calving ease direct
Terrible BW birth weight
Terrible MCE maternal calving ease
Terrible FE feeding efficiency
Terrible FS fame score
Terrible BF fat
Terrible Marb marbling
Terrible YG yeild grade
Terrible CW carcass weight
Terrible QG quality grade
Terrible API All Purpose Index
Terrible TI Total Index
Terrible Stay
World Renowned for the Worst Shr shear force"
4CT - these were your words - I want to know where you got statistics (not individual animals) to back up your statements.
I am a purebred breeder - but I would not go around making broad statements like that. Sure, there are lots of FB that have terrible CE & BW, but more & more there are good ones out there. You can have your opinion, but post it as your opinion - not as FACT.
Those of us that are knowledgeable in the beef industry know to take what you say "with a grain of salt" - but there are many on here that "might" think you know what your are talking about :banana: :banana: :banana:
I have already proved my point between FB Fleks and PB Simms --- Statistics?? Go in the comp office and get your Sire summary go look in it --actually open it up and read it -- what are these?? Every breeding age bull tthat is active in Simmental today whether PB FB whatever no go down to the bottom of any page and look there bottom right--- breed average<<<< what is it?? What is it for shr? for bw? for CED? for YW? for Marb , for TI? for API????? It is all right there I know the print is small but get a magnifying glass if need be and go look at all the statistics you want --- which Bulls in the Simmental Breed have the best of all traits combined> Ask Dr. Lipsey---- ya know what he will tell you??? he will be honest with you and tell you that the PB simms have quite an edge on the FB's... and when you ask him for his Stats -- he will tell you to goo look in the sire Summary you received in your Register.

Ok Done with this post

They may have an edge for some and not for others,do E.P.D.'s tell you everything you need to know?

EAT BEEF":272rs1k5 said:
E.P.D.'s are a tool,not something to win or loose.Trying to get the highest number is what's wrong with most purebreed operations,any fool can breed by number.
Yes with a statement like this I can tell you have NO CLUE what an EPD is.
Let me explain this in laymen terms so you can get it
Simmental assoc has 2 Indices along with their individual EPD's
The first Index is called API (All purpose Index) and this index takes all the traits of SImms good or bad and put them into an API
This was done to make it more user friendly for the guy like you that doesn't understand the EPD in general-- so all you have to do is look up Two (2) Indices one of which is API and one is TI
API is used when you want to keep , for example, heifers in your program TI is also important but in a lesser degree
TI which is known as the Total Index is an index that relates to other factors when using Simm genetics as a Terminal Sire
now lets look at 2 bulls -- We will use and industry favorite Flek Autobahn

SSS-SCF Autobahn 020G
Reg # 1970726

SPRING 2008 NATIONAL SIMMENTAL SIRE SUMMARY
TRAIT: CE BW WW YW MCE MM MWW CW YG Marb Fat REA API TI
EPD: +7.2 +0.4 +33.5 +69.7 +11.7 +5.8 +22.5 +12.9 +.01 +.13 +.00 +.29 106 64
Acc: .66 .87 .84 .83 .56 .76 .76 .63 .63 .64 .62 .61

What do we see here? Good CED but acc is only 0.66, BW OK, WW not great, YW not great, MCE excellenet, MM good, etc....
API- 106 Simm average 92 (wouldnt use him for retaining heifers because his API is low)
TI - 64 Simm average 62 (definately wouldnt use him for a terminal sire)
Popular Flek bull his CED is the best of any Flek, which is good but his WW and YW is fair,Stay no data YG fair, fat is 0.00 and marb is very low
This information is available from Select Sires and ASA

Now lets look at a PB Simm
Dikemans Sure Bet
DIKEMANS SURE BET Tattoo: 36R

Single Birth PB SM Bull DNA: PCB

EPD 16.4 -2.8 44.5 76.3 7.0 -1.9 20.4 23.3 5.7 -0.05 0.38 0.04 0.54 -0.14 149.9 80.6
ACC 0.34 0.77 0.72 0.69 0.18 0.28 0.29 0.15 0.52 0.52 0.36 0.46 0.33 0.07

let's look at this one> CE excellent bw excellent, WW good, YW excellent, MCE good, Milk low, Stay excellent etc.....
API - 150 Simm avg 92 Outstanding
TI - 81 Simm avg 62 Outstanding

Now with your infinite wisdom which Bull would you choose?????

The words are there, however the music is lacking -- Mark Twain

Empty cans make the most noise -- Unknown

I have never met a self-proclaimed prophet that was a successful cattleman or cattle producer. EPD's are a wonderful tool HOWEVER COMMA they are still "Expected" or even "estimated" progeny differences.

Put two world class gymnasts together and while assuming the obvious and probably getting bouncy kids 9 times out of 10 -- you might get a wonderful pianist.

Science has yet to override all factors of "geehaw" which is what my granddad refers to as the mixing of genotypes.

Calm down folks.

Greenjeans

Mr. Greenjeans":36sbiqve said:

I have never met a self-proclaimed prophet that was a successful cattleman or cattle producer. EPD's are a wonderful tool HOWEVER COMMA they are still "Expected" or even "estimated" progeny differences.

Put two world class gymnasts together and while assuming the obvious and probably getting bouncy kids 9 times out of 10 -- you might get a wonderful pianist.

Science has yet to override all factors of "geehaw" which is what my granddad refers to as the mixing of genotypes.

Calm down folks.

Greenjeans

Very nicely said Greenjeans. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ya know, I debated adding Bold Future to that post as I knew he wasn't technically FB (sigh). I was going to dig through his pedigree today and figure out his %FB but the website is not working well and, quite honestly, it's not worth the effort.

I feel bad that we never really answered the poster's question as to whether anyone uses them. I guess the answer is, no one on these boards does. Please contact the people we referenced in the early part of the thread, I'm sure they will be happy to talk to you about their breed.

As long as the thread is hijacked, lets take this further. Seeing as 1) many foreign herdbooks do not allow US PB Simms into their herdbook (or have them in a separate one) and 2) obviously the FB and PB have diverged radically based on the EPD's and phenotype (I have acutally seen ads where a breeder was bragging that you couldn't tell the difference between his red Simmis and Red Angus by sight - scary), does anyone think that the EPD's should be calculated separately for PB and FB? Would this make a difference in being able to compare them apples for apples like we can with the across-breeds adjustments we can make for other breeds, or wouldn't it? I am not advocating splitting the herdbooks, this is just a rhetorical question.

Mr. Greenjeans said:
Calm down folks.
Thank you Mr. Greenjeans. If part of breeding cows wasn't part luck and part art, anyone could do it (well) and calving season wouldn't be half as fun.

redcowsrule----
I understand where you are coming from there. The FB's had to change as they just wern't able to compete with the other breeds in the US and abroad.. Too much frame too much milk to long to finish --was a nightmare.. Now the FB ppl have come a long way since the days of the frame score double muscled 8 calf but with all sincerity---- the europeans wanted Meat lbs -- they didnt care about quality YG 2 QG High Choice beef. The one thing I see that really hurts the Flek people is their beef quality and frame scores. they still dont have a handle on that. I never purchase flek based cattle for the feed yard-- two reasons----
they finish later -- eats up my already short getting shorter bottom line
and the QG just isnt there 90+ % Select-- and the YG isnt there seen so many flek sired calves run YG 0 and 1 if I was lucky.

Another thing PB Red Simms are hard to come by too -- there just arent too many worth a hoot as far as I am concerned . Red Angus are the worst gainers on earth-- For the past 10 years we have had Red Angus on Forage Bull tests and they are normally pathetic. Too bad that Red Angus has such limited Bulls with decent rates of gain among other important factors. As far as PB Red Simms there are about 5 Bulls in the USA that are decent.
Built Right hvy BW's
WS Beef Maker Best Red PB Simm today
Red Dream out of Dream On
Patriarch is just OK
old man ER Big Sky is OK
Bodybuilder-- fair

red PB Sims that are decent are mostly out of CNS Dream On as he is Heterozygous Black and loves to throw Red calves that no one wants to buy.
I have 2 yearling Bulls left that didn't go to the Forage Test Station they are both Red one is out of CNS Dream ON he had a BW of 71 AWW of 740 and a AYW of 1170 nice red bulls going to slaughter soon.
I have another Red Blazed faced Bull out of WS Beef Maker -- he had a BW of 65 lbs AWW of 730 out of a fleck cow (this Bull was her 13th calf and I took her to the sale barn in 2008 She was out of Bold Future lol; anyway he has a AYW of 1360 -- what a huge gainer he is.. he is headed to the kill floor soon. Just can't sell red bulls -- no one wants them.

4CT - you wear me out. But, I can't help myself - I have to respond - SLIGHTLY.
American FB cattle are not and never have been DOUBLE MUSCLED. Back in the "old days", our daughter showed steers in 4-H (all FB sired PB). Almost every one of her steers (usually around 13 - 15 months of age) went Prime YG 1. You make it sound like YG 1 or 2 is BAD - HELLOOOOO - the LOWER THE BETTER :banana: :banana:
Thruout your whole "speel" are broad statements that are foolishly made.
Why do I bother????

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1w3xcety said:
American FB cattle are not and never have been DOUBLE MUSCLED. Back in the "old days", our daughter showed steers in 4-H (all FB sired PB). Almost every one of her steers (usually around 13 - 15 months of age) went Prime YG 1. You make it sound like YG 1 or 2 is BAD - HELLOOOOO - the LOWER THE BETTER :banana: :banana:
Why do I bother????

I didn't catch that the first time. It does sound like he thinks a YG 1 is bad. Heck, even an ignorant old fart like me knows better than that. :lol:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3bondyms said:
Why do I bother????

Bless your heart Jeanne -- you just dont read my Posts..... I never said anything up there in my Post about YG 1 or 2 being a bad thing---- you are so full of hate and so interested in always being right that you make things up that I say... Where in my Post do I say YG 1 and 2 are bad???? In fact you can't even find where I even mention of it. Jeanne it is quite evident you haven't been on the feedyard / slaughter end of your product, which is fine, but don't run around the boards dissing ppl that have, just because you don't have a good idea about Grades. Another thing to consider Jeanne --- your show steer that went Prime YG 1 was probably purchased by a local and was taken to a local kill floor --- that being said I seriously doubt that steer was 13 months lol-- absurd-- not a flek..
Anyway let's say it was--- with a YG 1 that carcass had limitations on hang time because there just wasnt enought of a YG to dry age that carcass for Tenderness --which Fleks need alot of. At the local mom and pop kill floor they wouldn't have the capabilities of running electricity thru it to help in the tendernization process, so what limited the tenderness of your show steer was ______?
YEILD GRADE--- Thanks again for proving my point--- flecks are hard pressed on average-- to put up a YG over 0 or 1. Maybe you need to go on the Simm website and read a little about Dr. Lipseys 70:70 program and get up to speed on you breed. Since 90 % of the registered Bulls go to commercial operations -- you should be all about understanding about YG's and QG's
Look forward to your replies and I am in hopes they will be of a more positive Nature
:tiphat:

I don't think Jeanne is filled with hate at all.

I think she just recognizes you for the sorry nutcase troublemakin horses a-- that you are and just like the rest of us is just flat tired of your BS. Why don't you just go ahead and morph again into something just a little less irritating this time before you get knocked off the air for about the 20th time.

The thing that amazes me is that normal well meaning people on here get sucked into responding to your inane posts and thus keep feeding your nutcase games.

Mr. Greenjeans":35v21f8o said:

Calm down folks.

Greenjeans

"Empty cans make the most noise -- Unknown"

Now that is funny! :lol2:

Everyone should be easy on 4ctophand.
Anyone who can run a feedlot, buy all the calves for it, raise several different purebred breeds, feed and manage them, put up all the forage, grow all the feed, and do all the research for the posts must be really stressed.
Anyway he does get things rolling.

I can't wait to see some of those awesome cattle of his, and the operation, it must be a sight to behold! :cowboy:

Latest posts