Anybody using Fleckvieh simm?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bar 5 Stock Farm out of Ontario CA has been for a while.

We are looking at some German Fleckviehs for next season - haven't made our decision yet.

Baldie Maker":2sdawr0a said:
anyone out there using the South African stain of simm?
I wouldnt go with fleks -- they finish late and QG's are low choice on a good one and select mostly and the europeans like that but here in the USA we prefer QG High choice (fleks wont do it) and YG 2 (flecks wont do it 80 % of the time)

Try a PB simm like GW Lucky Man, or PB Angus like HA Image maker or Bon View New design 1407 (check the marbling scores) and compare it to any Flek in any country..........
T

4CTophand":zgiu14rw said:
Baldie Maker":zgiu14rw said:
anyone out there using the South African stain of simm?
I wouldnt go with fleks -- they finish late and QG's are low choice on a good one and select mostly and the europeans like that but here in the USA we prefer QG High choice (fleks wont do it) and YG 2 (flecks wont do it 80 % of the time)

Try a PB simm like GW Lucky Man, or PB Angus like HA Image maker or Bon View New design 1407 (check the marbling scores) and compare it to any Flek in any country..........
T

Another absolute that's not accurate
http://www.selectsires.com/beef/directo ... tobahn.pdf

Select Sires doesn't have any data on any flek sires progeny on any rail in any country to date......

thanks for the website tho lol

Flecks are great cows.. generally good milkers, and meaty. However, watch your calving ease and birth weights, they are known to have large calves. One of the best Simmys I had was a Fleck cow... about a frame score 5, but routinely had a 100+ calf, even if none of the other cows had one out of the same bull that large.

TheBullLady":1n3joxgd said:
Flecks are great cows.. generally good milkers, and meaty. However, watch your calving ease and birth weights, they are known to have large calves. One of the best Simmys I had was a Fleck cow... about a frame score 5, but routinely had a 100+ calf, even if none of the other cows had one out of the same bull that large.
Yes that is the kind of cow to cull --- one that throws that kind of BWt calves --no need to continue that genetics further when the flek crowd is desperately trying to downsize their FB's and keep that kinda info under the Mat.

If the cow can lay down and have a 100 LB calf unassisted i reckon i will just go ahead and keep her. She may pass on a big birth weight but she will also pass on one hell of a calveing ability. No need for a bull out of her but i will take the heifers.

Red Bull Breeder":1tz4cxdx said:
If the cow can lay down and have a 100 LB calf unassisted i reckon i will just go ahead and keep her. She may pass on a big birth weight but she will also pass on one be nice of a calveing ability. No need for a bull out of her but i will take the heifers.
you can have those heifers with the 100+ lb birt weights and you can have a whole herd of flek cattle with huge:
Birth weights
terrible CED calving ease direct
Terrible BW birth weight
Terrible MCE maternal calving ease
Terrible FE feeding efficiency
Terrible FS fame score
Terrible BF fat
Terrible Marb marbling
Terrible YG yeild grade
Terrible CW carcass weight
Terrible QG quality grade
Terrible API All Purpose Index
Terrible TI Total Index
Terrible Stay
World Renowned for the Worst Shr shear force
And who knows you might even be able to go around the world explaining to people from all walks of life how you won Your "First Darwin Award

One thing is for sure i won't be by myself when i get the Darwin award. I figure you got several of them. I happen to know where i can sell Fleck calves for pretty decent money.

Red Bull Breeder":3ziar3dy said:
One thing is for sure i won't be by myself when i get the Darwin award. I figure you got several of them. I happen to know where i can sell Fleck calves for pretty decent money.

Guess that's about all that matters. Getting a good seller and a good buyer together.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":8vqr9wh3 said:
4CT Since you are so knowledgeable about Flecks, where are you getting your data from? I sure would like to read up on that info.

Jeanne..he!! he wrote the book. For $49.95 plus shipping and handling he'll ship you one....but wait..that's not all. Order within the next 30 minutes and we'll throw in another book of your choice AND a vile of water from the Sea of Galilee where he walked on the water. :lol: :lol:

The Cow wiz had just posted there was no data on Fleck's Jeanne . Guess there must be some or maybe he has done all this research hisself. But it never pays to dought someone as knowing as Tophat.

I have used a couple of Flecvieh bulls in the past. Big stout calves that grew like weeds. Have a couple of old half blood daughters still around and several cows from the original half bloods.
The calves were born pretty big but 100 lb. calves never bothered me. In fact I like about a 100 lb. calf, means he's going to push the scales down when I sell him.
A half Flec cow mated to a charlais...result a calf that is a money maker.

We all end up as bad as him - poking sticks at him.
He makes it very unpleasant to keep coming back to these threads - AND HE'S EVERYWHERE!!!!
You can't ignore him, afraid a "newbie" might take his advice.
Maybe we should post a "WARNING" on each board & have Macon keep it on the top of the list. Than we could just simply IGNORE anything he posts. Yeah, that would be fun.

worst marb, marbling , worst car. carcussing, worst shear forc, forcing , big birtha, birthing terrible frame score, a scoring ,

Jeanne - Simme Valley":32zrbso9 said:
4CT Since you are so knowledgeable about Flecks, where are you getting your data from? I sure would like to read up on that info.
Just go to the simm website or go to ABS and compare these FB fleks to any PB sire and you will find they "the fleks" are lacking in all traits -- just open your eyes and look... let me try this example: Let me pick a FB and a PB............

Bar 5 SA Gong 459P 2274528
Tattoo: CO 459P
Horn Status: H

CE -2.1 Way Below standard for PB's
Birth +4.5 Way below standards for PB's
Wean 29.6 Pathetic
Year 44.5 Pathetic
MCE -9.4 Pathetic
MM 17.2 Huge Milk --- we dont need this either
MWW 32 Pathetic
Stay So Low not reported
CW -4.8 Pathetic
Marb -0.1 Pathetic
BF 0.03 Pathetic
REA -0.07 Really Pathetic
SHR So high not reported
API = 66 Simm average is 92 He is Pathetic
TI = 43 Simm average is 62 He is Pathetic

Now a PB Simm
Triple C El Poderoso Rey 2117256
Tattoo: L8379
Horn Status: P
CE 13.1 Excellent
Birth -1.2 Excellent
Wean 42 Good
Year 88 Excellent
MCE 4.1 Good
MM 3 Good (Simm cows have plenty of Milk -- we dont need an EPD of 17+)
MWW 24 good
Stay 29 Excellent
CW 8.2 Good
Marb 0.21 better than a negative number
BF 0.05 OK
REA 0.39 better than a negative number
SHR 0.05 Better than a refusal to enter it
API = 145 Simm average is 92 Huge difference compared to Flek
TI = 74 Simm average is 62 Huge difference compared to Flek

Read it and weep---I just chose two no name up and coming herd sires the PB Simm out does the FB Flek in every single trait imaginable.

I prefer PB's and I know there is a place for Full Bloods in the world kinda like Belgian Blues...
The biggest thing to think about is not who is wrong or right, as it really doesnt matter --- but what are you raising? Cattle or Beef? I raise Beef and the people that buy that Beef want cutability and marbling and shr The bull buyers want good CED and good WW and good YW; the feeders want feed eficiency and lower frame scores; until you decide to raise the kind of beef that the packer suggests (and ultimately the Consumer) you will be behind the 8 ball. It is just that simple...

T

Latest posts