Anybody still use estradiol protocols

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
Has anyone here had similar results from using estradiol. I am saying that i might know someone who uses it(not me of course) but they have been getting unbelivable results on Ai, Et transfers, and recips in heat. I am not on here to debate wether the drug should be legal or not legal for cows, I am though saying that its a shame that it cant be used in cattle. It is simply amazing what results people are getting. I know a lot of people still use this and wont admit it but lets assume you know someone using it, are they getting better results that with other protocols.

the one i heard of is a combo shot and cidr on day 1
remove cidr on day 7 and shot of lute
then 1 day later a shot of straight estradiol

breed 36 hours give or take for time breeding.

I wonder if the medicine is actually giving the cows a stronger heat or what is going on. There is no debate it works better, I just wonder what it is that makes it work so well?

any comments

I know *someone* who uses it on fresh cows that don't clean (then oxytocin can be used afterwards). I don't actually know anyone who uses it for synchronized breeding, but I've heard it works. Could have something to do with estrogen levels peaking when the cow comes into heat normally.

I've known people that used Estradiol in the past and cows always came into heat. They've switched to GnRH and now they are lucky to get 50% to come in on time. They used a timed AI in the past and they are really frustrated, but not sure what they could switch to. I've heard about people using Estradiol Cyponiate, but not sure if it's on the outlawed list or not.

I'm not sure if Estradiol Cypionate (sp?) (ECP) is on the outlawed list... I know I can still get my hands on it but it's only labeled for horses. 8) Oxytocin (on fresh cows more than 48 hours past calving) is pretty much worthless without ECP though.

FWIW, if someone has to use the ECP/oxytocin combo it's usually because of a serious infection following a retained placenta, and the cow is on heavy doses of antibiotics where you know she won't be going to slaughter or getting milked in the tank for a long time. So at least when I see ECP used there's no concern about residues getting into the public food supply.

Latest posts