How long to wait to use Lutalyse

Help Support CattleToday:

Lrj505

Reaction score
Never synchronized cows before. This is my first attempt. Vet told me to use Lutalyse and turn the bull out with them. I have ten cows that had a calf no less than a month ago. Is it to soon ? Also a couple open cows that were maybe to thin, but have put the weight back on thanks. Should I sync them on different days ? Or all at once? Can a bull handle all of them in heat at once ? Thanks a million.

Cows in good flesh should start cycling normally somewhere in the 3 to 5 week range. Some will take longer. But, often I will see heats at around 30 days. I'd do them all at the same time. The ones with no calves will probably come right in heat if they are in the right stage of their cycle. The lute will not have any effect if they are within 3-4 days of coming in heat naturally, or just going out of heat. All the lute does is cause the CL to "dissolve" so they will come back in heat. You aren't going to get everyone cycling the same or all of them coming in heat the same day. The bull should be able to handle at least 4-6 in heat within 24-36 hours and you will be lucky if that many come in all at once. One thing the lute will do is make the heat signs more noticeable on their next heat too.

kenny thomas":7y3eugge said:
And lute does not make them cycle if they aren't already

Exactly right. There has to be an active CL on the ovary, which happens when they are cycling and producing an egg. Some have silent heats, and often the first heat or two are very "light" or not observed. But if there is no CL, then lute is useless. It will help to get some cyctic cows to come into a "real heat" and the cyst to dissolve, which will allow a normal heat to happen.

Just wondering if you wouldn't be better giving them a shot of GNRH.
They do need to be in good body condition but many years ago (I remember) ABS said 60 days would be better because it allows for them to be healed inside and ready to breed. Although, there is a post on here about calving at 10 months.

will agree with most here, give the shot, if he is a mature bull he can handle it. If it were me id be with Air gator the ones that didnt calve could have gotten cystic and will need gnrh not pg for that. the ones that did calve would get pg

Latest posts