Would you Use a bull that required assistance from a heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Would like to know the actual bw of the bull and see his dam. If the calf was of the size, which I would consider normal, but heifer needed to be assisted due to it's size, I could buy that bull for using on cows, but I would be very hesitant to keep any replacements from him. So my answer would be as a buyer, I could buy such bull to use as commercial bull if I liked all other his traits. As a seller, my decision would be based on his family history. But most likely he would be marketed as at least average calving, not easy, with his bw given and if his dam has another assisted calving next year, she most likely would be culled. Not sure how it's in other parts of the world, but here in Europe, have seen several AI bulls, which are hard calving, have seen some bulls, which are suitable only for commercial uses as their daughters probably wouldn't be able to calve a kitten. I personally have used bulls with average calving ease on heifers and higher bw bull wouldn't be too scary for me.

Silver said:
Ky hills said:
Would/should a bull calf that had to be pulled from a heifer be left as a bull and marketed as a breeding animal.

The fact that it was pulled would have less than zero bearing on my decision to keep or use that bull. Lots of other more important things to think about imho

I am on the fence here. I think that bull would not be used on heifers for sure. I have also castrated too large calves even if unassisted. Genetics do play a roll here. Natural sire vs AI sire and what the intention behind the bull is. We had a 83 lb bull calf born to a heifer this year that needed some help. There was plenty of room- she was just not pushing good enough to make it happen in a timely manner. I am going to keep the bull as a bull and use him on cows because he is out of a really good AI sire and he looks pretty fantastic. The heifer I will be wary on if she pulls that crap on her 2nd calf.

Latest posts