Anybody remember were you were at 18 years ago today?

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
I was setting in the waiting room of an auto repair shop getting a muffler put on watching the TV and I thought what they were showing wasn't real.

8giwDEE.jpg

I was waiting for the guy I was riding to work with. He had no idea about it. We turned on the radio in his car. The second tower fell while we were driving in to town. The office was in Olympia (Washington state capital). It was eerily quiet all day. Not much traffic. No planes. The boss went and got a TV. We pretty much just watched it all day.

I was at work in Huntsville Al and this gal came in and said "A plane flew into one of the trade towers" - I dismissed it, thought she was talking about a Cessna or something.

jschoolcraft86 said:
I was in 10th grade computer science class. The school put it on the TV in each classroom.

Heading to school for 11th grade here, came on radio and I had thought about turning around and going back to work but for some reason I went to school and TV in every classroom here too. Changed our whole year in Government class I know.

I was home and thinking about what a beautiful day it was.
I happened to turn on the TV and saw people jumping to their deaths from a tall building.

This was one of two horrendous things I have seen live on TV.
The other was the Janet Reno attack on those people in Waco.

I was sitting in an education class. Every day we had to start with something related to teaching in the news. This girl comes flying in late and is just bouncing in her seat. She says "I know it's not education related but a plane just flew into the World Trade Center." We didn't think much about it b/c there was no information to indicate out significant an event this was. I went to my next class and wandered through the union to get there, and I saw that another plane had hit. I was thinking "this is pretty serious" but terrorism never entered my mind. In that second class the prof said something about a flight from Boston to LA hitting a tower. This still stays with me to this day. A student raised his hand and said "Excuse me, did you just say 'Boston to LA?'" The prof said that he did and the kid said "I think my parents might have been on that flight." Indeed, there were several people from Maine on those flights.

I was on a service call repairing a gas leak at a residence in upstate NY. The homeowner came out in hysterics to tell me that a plane had struck the WTC. We watched the broadcast for a while standing in her living room dumbfounded.

In those days had TV. Turned it on in time to see the first plane hit the towers and instantly sensed it was a terrorist attack. Remained glued to the TV through out the day and horrified at what transpired.

I was home,and had a local channel on for "background noise", as I was doing some canning. Then it cut to the pictures of the plane hitting the tower, and I watched for most of the day all the footage of different ones that had home videos and such. It was such a horrible day and the start of so many changes in the fabric of our lives and how we perceive things. :cry2: :cry2:

I got to know a man in my church who was in the South tower that day. He was from England. His girlfriend was a sales executive for an international company. She had a meeting in New York. He came along as a free holiday. He had breakfast with the girlfriend and others up near the top of the tower. They started their meeting and he left to tour New York. He was on one of the lower floors when the plane hit. I don't remember the details of how he made it down the tower. There were some "catwalks" across to neighboring buildings. He was in one of those and there were bodies of the jumpers hitting the roof of the catwalk. He was somewhere on the far side of the catwalk when the tower fell. He woke up 3 days later in ICU. His girlfriend and those at the meeting obviously didn't survive. His story of what he went through with survivors remorse was one to listen to. It took him some years to get his life together.

I was in the last year or so before retirement and was burning accrued time off that I wouldn't have been paid for, so I was home. I had just gotten out of bed and turned the living room TV on and was met with a broadcast after the first plane stuck. About the time I got my bearings the second one hit. I called the wife to tell her and it was like I was dreaming the rest of the day. I remember going outside to make sure there were no planes flying to DFW.

I was in Surface Warfare Officer school in Newport RI learning how to drive US Navy warships. I had been commissioned from the fleet (enlisted to officer) May 2001.

I moved from DC to RI July 2001. I took the DC Metro with an naval officer who gave me some career advice. He worked at the Pentagon. I think he was the only USN officer killed. When I got orders to SWOS, I remember driving up the Jersey turnpike on my way to RI and you could see the WTC towers way before anything else.

My class was doing a Physical Readiness Test on 9/11. I had just changed into PT gear and was heading out to the field, when someone told me to get back inside. They said a plane had hit a building in NYC. I was picturing a little plane. Everyone was crowded around a little TV in the mini Navy Exchange cafe. I walked in just in time to see the first tower fall. I said something about how they must have gotten everyone out. Someone turned around and said that there was no time. We just watched in silence. One of our instructors, very tough man, left angry after the second tower fell. I followed a little, but stopped when I realized he was getting emotional. Shortly afterwards, they told us to get off base immediately. We weren't called back until Friday. Classes resumed like nothing happened. None of the instructors said a word about it. By the end of the day, everyone was so wound up and tense. Out of frustration, I announced that I would lead a prayer session in the classroom, if anyone wanted to stay. Our whole class stayed. We just went around and everyone expressed what they needed to. A few sailors were from NYC. They were a mess. One went there over the weekend to find his friend's family to find out if his friend survived (worked in the tower). He did not.

All of us just wanted to get out to the fleet as soon as possible. I left in December. By the following year, we were on deployment in the war zone.

Was a day during the week that I didn't have classes at the community college and was at home by myself. Was actually watching the Today Show in the living room when Katie Couric broke the news on NBC. Still can see her face when that 2nd plane hit. Her and many were thinking an accident when that 1st plane hit but I just knew it was an attack and unfortunately I was correct. I won't forget that day.

Latest posts