Any one live in modulars/double-wides???

Help Support CattleToday:

LRAF

Reaction score
Wondering if any one has bought one of the factory direct homes from Champion? And if so how good they have held up?

Over the years I have researched double wides of all models and never have proceeded with one-we looked at one last year and for a new home pretty crappy made-read online reviews and it scares u-I'm still holding out for a stick build house I guess-we live in a single wide and it's a house that we have done a lot to over the years-they don't make your land worth more like a house does-they depreciate like a car-a lot of people have them because they are easy and relatively inexpensive-but they are cheaply made many issues with roofs leaking and floors etc do the research and decide

In 37 years of being a plumbing contractor, I have never seen one that the people that bought it were satisfied with what they got.
Never been on a project that went as planned.
Have seen front doors on the back. The companies are glad to take them back when something is wrong, "We'll just build you a new one to replace it, (with the door in the right place, or the kitchen where it was supposed to be)but you must realize it will take 8 months or more to build. Maybe you should just live with what this one is."
What do you do? They made you pay half before they started, got the other half before they delivered, and they aren't gonna' be in a hurry to correct any problems, and you're making house payments on a home you don't have.
Something broke? No problem, just hire someone to fix it and they can send us a bill. We'll never pay, but they can send us a bill. After all, it's under warranty.
Leave a 6 day home and the dishwasher fitting cracks and ruins all carpet and flooring, as well as the bottom of the cabinets? No problem, of course we just can warranty the broken fitting. It cost $2.50 at Home Depo, just invoice us after you fix it. After all, it's under our warranty.
"We can get you a home at the Lake for $80.000. A few things that you need to supply yourself. This particular young couple turned the home back to the mortage company, unlived in, when their mortage got to $180.000 and weren't done yet.
I'll quit now.
Just get ready to be disappointed if you go the route of prebuilt homes. gs

I disagree. I have lived in them in the past and have family that lives in them now. Some are good and some are bad. New site built homes have the same problems.it's all in who you by from. I can't speak for champion. Never heard of them. Go with a reputable brand.

Brute 23":kzsmxn1z said:
You should be able to build a home for not that much more than a double wide. When you start going over $50K, it's time to build.

I would like to see a house that u can build for $50,000-our friend built one for $60,000 but he had all his friends from church chip in with labor, and within a year he was out of room, because it was only a 1000 sq foot home. I think a 1800 sq foot home 10 years ago already cost $140,000-I am sure its more now-this is my dilemma when i think of adding that much more to a mortgage already, i can't justify it-nor afford it, if a person could find a 2000 sq foot used double wide for $50,000 have it set up on a permanent foundation-u would probably have another $20,000 into that-so $70,000-seems alot better than $200,000
I see people set them up around here all the time, and if you have some constructions skills and plans they can look just like houses. there is one, that the peoples house burned down, they replaced it with a doubewide, and then added an attached garage to it, it looks very nice-
Over the years of looking-i think the Sunshine homes are built the best-I saw a Clayton home an older one i really really liked, but it was gone in a day (a used older home)
All I ever really wanted was more room-i guess each person has to decide what is best for them and what they can afford-and go from there
My situation with having a mortgage already on the farm, and the current dairy situation, an upgrade in housing this year doesn't look promising, unless a miracle happens

Craig Miller":qaveay0l said:
I disagree. I have lived in them in the past and have family that lives in them now. Some are good and some are bad. New site built homes have the same problems.it's all in who you by from. I can't speak for champion. Never heard of them. Go with a reputable brand.

True there are nightmare stories everywhere, Sometimes i wonder if it would be cheaper to buy a home elsewhere and live there, and work here on the farm only-seems u can buy a home already there on land with 30 acres cheaper than you can build one anymore-But issues with that too

LRAF":379mmq9i said:
Wondering if any one has bought one of the factory direct homes from Champion? And if so how good they have held up?

To answer your original question i think Champion homes are kind of cheaply built. I looked at one 10 years ago I liked it, and looked at one a year ago and noticed alot of poor construction, cracked ceilings, tiles coming up on the floor, shoddy back cabinets, hardly put together right-and for a new home that should not be there-they are quickly slapped together in a factory, driven hundred of miles, so they have issues already when they arrive, the company says they will stand behind them, but that does seem to be a problem-read the reviews online
best homes i found are the Sunshine homes

GMN":28lnn65d said:
Craig Miller":28lnn65d said:

True there are nightmare stories everywhere, Sometimes i wonder if it would be cheaper to buy a home elsewhere and live there, and work here on the farm only-seems u can buy a home already there on land with 30 acres cheaper than you can build one anymore-But issues with that too

Average cost to build a modest home in my are is 120$ a Sq ft. I can buy a home already built for 60$ a sq. It's true you could build one less if you do all the work yourself. Good luck finding a bank to loan you the money to build it yourself if your not a licensed contractor. I would recommend looking at clayton homes.

GMN, I think you misunderstood what I was saying. If you start spending over $50K on a mobile home you need to build because you are putting too much money in to an item that will depreciate to nothing, or could cost you to get rid of. It's like renting a house, but being responsible for the maintenance. It can actually bring you land value down and make a property harder to sell.

My parents built a home a couple years back and it was around $75/ Sq ft.

I purchased my home for around $50/ Sq ft.

Depends on your situation.
I was in the process of having a 2000.square home built. Every thing lined except the formalities. On practically the final meeting I got in a argument with the home builders over a stained concrete floor. Told em to get bent and walked out.
On the way home I stopped at a palm harbor lot in Austin. Bought a 2200 foot double wide off the demo lot. Wrote a check for half of it.
I poured a slab myself. Big enough to have sidewalks all the way round. Put in 3/4 mile of water line myself. And had septic done.
I put steel plates in the concrete slab to match the frame of the double wide. When they delivered the house I had it sit down on the slab and welded it to the steel plates. Then we rocked with limestone were the underpinnings would usually be. It's nestled in amongst some big postoaks and I feel it's as solid as most sites built homes.
The house was going to run me about 200,000
I've got about 70, 000 tied up (septic was 12,000) and wait a minute....I figured in 13 years I've saved about 50,000 in property taxes.
This is on my someplace and I never plan to sell any of it. The money I've saved has put me in a position to be able to buy my grandparents house from my mother. Giving her a good chunk of retirement money, and keeping the farm intact. I will rent either the Mobil or the house, haven't decided yet. Along with a couple of acres and a small barn and shop.( both have these)
Watch me get 1500.00 a month.
Absolutely on of the best decisions I ever made. And house is not the investment everyone thinks it is..

I have a modular built by a local company that does only modular homes. framing is 2x6 and it was built really well wouldn't trade it for the world. I don't know about any other companies but I like mine and would get another one. I would also like to add a real true modular has no metal framing underneath it. When getting one check with your insurance because if not set on permanent foundation and no metal framing they may consider it a trailer and you pay higher insurance or if you are getting a loan have to take a different avenue.

Not sure where you are located but look at Solitaite homes. 2x6 walls, taped and bedded, HEAVY insulation, thick plywood everywhere no OSB. It was the closest to stick built Ive ever seen and very well priced. We were building on site but ended up getting a solitaire home and are so so pleased I cant explain. Its extremely tight and stays cool in the summer. I wasnt gonna comment cause I only know what I have read about Champion but we are so happy with what we bought I had to share. Our salesman was awesome. Everyone that comes over thinks its a regular house. Theres a few things that I will upgrade later but it is a SOLID house no doubt.

CaddoFarms":2vbw87qu said:
Not sure where you are located but look at Solitaite homes. 2x6 walls, taped and bedded, HEAVY insulation, thick plywood everywhere no OSB. It was the closest to stick built Ive ever seen and very well priced. We were building on site but ended up getting a solitaire home and are so so pleased I cant explain. Its extremely tight and stays cool in the summer. I wasnt gonna comment cause I only know what I have read about Champion but we are so happy with what we bought I had to share. Our salesman was awesome. Everyone that comes over thinks its a regular house. Theres a few things that I will upgrade later but it is a SOLID house no doubt.

I was worried about my house being tight but the walls were sprayed foam insulation and its awesome on staying warm or cool. That was the upgrade I did.

My husband is a contractor for a living (although we'd both rather own a HUGE cattle ranch) He said that modular homes are built basically as inexpensively as possible. He has seen them with 2x2 trusses and 1/4 inch sheet rock on the inside. He also told me he is amazed that they pass code up here in North Idaho with our huge snow load with the poorly made trusses and structural soundness that is lacking in the roofs. That being said my parents have a modular home that they bought when I was a kid in 1999. They haven't been to happy with it. The sky lights leak. The plumbing leaks and they have had problems with the siding on the outside falling apart and rotting. All houses require up keep. My husband built our house and it has needed upkeep but nothing structural. (we actually did consider buying a modular home because they are so cheap but built instead) Just keep in mind that you pay for what you get and expect to be putting more money and time and headache into a modular home. Also check the blue prints and make sure your home is built meeting or exceeding the code for your area.

Duramaxgirl":1n7ifatw said:
My husband is a contractor for a living (although we'd both rather own a HUGE cattle ranch) He said that modular homes are built basically as inexpensively as possible. He has seen them with 2x2 trusses and 1/4 inch sheet rock on the inside. He also told me he is amazed that they pass code up here in North Idaho with our huge snow load with the poorly made trusses and structural soundness that is lacking in the roofs. That being said my parents have a modular home that they bought when I was a kid in 1999. They haven't been to happy with it. The sky lights leak. The plumbing leaks and they have had problems with the siding on the outside falling apart and rotting. All houses require up keep. My husband built our house and it has needed upkeep but nothing structural. (we actually did consider buying a modular home because they are so cheap but built instead) Just keep in mind that you pay for what you get and expect to be putting more money and time and headache into a modular home. Also check the blue prints and make sure your home is built meeting or exceeding the code for your area.

You are painting with a wide brush there... Not all modular homes are alike same as all contractors are not the same. I am also a contractor for a living. If you buy anything of quality generally it is not cheap. If you buy a home and have to get a bldg permit you have to supply plans atleast here in va so they can check to see if your plans meet or exceed code. I am sure your husband has ran across some cheap modular but them being build as inexpensive is relative to where you buy and what you pay for. Carry on... :)

Yes it might be a wide brush,I am sure there are well made modular homes out there. Its just in his experience he has not seen one that is and he has worked on quite a few of them!! My parents did but one of the 'better' made ones and paid a lot of money for it. In the end they might as well have built because a better modular costs close to the same as a stick around here. I can't quite remember all of the details but Dad made sure they had the 2x6 wall framing and a good snow load rating on the roof. But is seems in time all of them fall apart. Maybe not the first 5 years but by 10-15 years they all seem to be having major (plumbing, roof leaking, rotting siding,) issues that isn't found in stick frame houses. They just don't seem to have the longevity of a stick house. Again this is just my husbands experience in working on them and Idaho is a harsh climate which I am sure should factor into that as well. I hope the people that get one have better luck then we have seen! Also like barn blindness I wonder if contractors can get 'house blindness' as in they can't see a good house if it isn't built to their standards. All I know is my husband hates modular homes and has worked on many of them over the years.

Duramax I would also like to add another reason factory modular are so much cheaper is because they don't have bids from contractors which will run the price up quite a bit and its a production setting. The cheaper ones that I have seen in a production environment were not built well. I can't say who I have a contract with to clear and prep lots with but I see their " Modular's" and IMO they are glorified trailers with sheetrock.

They certainly do fit a need in that not everyone wants to or has the time to deal with a contractor. I know that was my parents problem. They had the land and needed a house and it was made and delivered and we were living in it in a short amount of time which was way faster then a stick home would of taken. They were very happy with it for about 5-8 years or so. We have helped them remodel it and its very nice now they added hard wood flooring and bay windows. My husband also added a attached garage for them. They still have issues with the plumbing but hopefully that will be fixed soon.

Latest posts