Any Limousene cows here?

Help Support CattleToday:

Sistervoodoo":1ieffbue said:
I apologize for spelling the name wrong. I hope I do better raising cattle than I do typing! My favorite was limoosins. I will remember that one.

I look forward to learning from those of you with some cattle experience and have been doing a lot of reading here. Opinions are fine, I can sort through and decide for myself what may work for me and what may not.

I've read a lot of good things and bad things about Limousins. We did a lot of reading and talking with others before making our selection. I think what surprised me most about the cattle I bought is that they weren't skittish at all and from what I have read, I expected cattle that would be range raised and not too friendly. At least the ones I have can be called in (Yes, I have a very loud voice) and I can count them every day. It's also very easy to stand outside the pen area and call them right in. Since I often have to work the cattle myself with no one else here to help, this is a big help to me.

Sherry

East Caney":1ieffbue said:
Canadian_Cowgirl":1ieffbue said:
dun":1ieffbue said:
I would recommend you learn how to spell the breeds name as the first step. It's Limousin!

Thank you!!! I was waiting for someone to say that!! I just didnt have the balls to do it! :lol: :lol:

Katy

Dun, maybe that's the difference. He was raising limousines (never seen one myself). Sister voodoo is raising limousins (which I'm a bit more familiar with).

Cowboyup216, I'm just messing with you. I spell things wrong all the time. However, not knowing a thing about the cattle she bought, I wouldn't dare start making general statements and telling her to sell everything she has. But you did say that's your opinion, and you're absolutely entitled to it.

Canadian_cowgirl, I sure hope (if your name represents your gender) that you wouldn't have balls to do anything. :shock: That might be a unique combination. :D

Engler is giving you good advice. There is a lot that people will tell you. There are a ton of different opinions for how to do things. Here's my advice:

A dead animal is not profitable in any way, whether it be cow, calf, or bull. So, I would say that your herd health should be a top priority. It's hard to treat animals and help them if you can't catch them. Good facilities should be a high priority. From there, start learning...asking questions like you are, reading these boards, talking to neighboring ranchers to see what works in your area. You can listen to all these opinions and find what you think works for you. Try it. If something doesn't work, change it. It's a learning process with a learning curve. One last suggestion: If it's economical to do so, purchase a bull that will improve your best cow. Maybe the growth is no better. If your growth is where you want it, look at improving phenotype. If phenotype is where you want it, look at improving growth. If both are where you want them (rarely the case throughout an entire herd), make sure you're not losing anything in the new bull. Now remember the first statement...if it's economical. There always becomes a price at which this is no longer economical. That may be where A.I. becomes a part of your uperation, but that's another argument and this post is already extremely long.

I wish you well

EC

Dont worry we all make many mistakes with grammar and life
Im glad to hear your off to a good start I agree with other be safe at all times. Done mind anyone playing around with you every breed has it pros and cons so keep up the hard work
-GOOD LUCK-

Sistervoodoo":2c2quo4v said:
About two months ago I decided to try my hand at raising some cattle. I bought 14 red Limousene cows with nice calves by their sides and one young (18 months old) red Limousene bull. My cows were bred to an outstanding black Limousene bull. He was a beauty! Hubby and I have never been in the cattle business before so this is all new to us. ;-) We live in Missouri and I'm having a blast with the cattle. My herd is calm, and several of the cows can be hand fed range pellets. My bull (Babe) is just a huge over grown calf and is as tame as a puppy for now. Any advice or whatever is much appreciated because this is entirely new to us. Thanks!
Sistervoodoo-

Good evening! I have waited for some of the other members of the Board to voice their opinions before I stepped in and had my say.

I am sure that you did some investigation prior to your decision to get cattle. The most critical advice that I can suggest is to acquire ALL of the information that you can get concerning the Beef Cattle BU$INE$$! I spell that word in that manner because I want to stress the fact that it is a business, and NOT fun and games! That does not mean that you can't have fun with the operation of your business! You certainly can, and certainly should have fun and enjoyment from the operation. But it is a very tough undertaking, and as some of the members have alluded - it can be extremely dangerous. You have already made Gross Mistake Number 1 in hand feeding them, and, because you are excited and thrilled to have this fine bunch of cattle, you treat them as "Family Pets." This is GROSS MISTAKE NUMBER 2! As someone said, you are working with very large, very strong and very UNpolite animals who have not been taught "Obedience Training!" And they won't learn if you do try to teach them. Contact a good LARGE ANIMAL Veterinarian, and have him DO the necessary vet. maintenance work with them.

Back to "Critical Advice". Log onto the internet, type "www.Dogpile.com" in the "Search "box and put its logo on your desktop. Use it to answer ANY question that you can think of in regard to your cattle management operations - things such as "How to feed beef cattle" or "Fences for beef cattle", or ANYTHING that you may have a question about. Get a file cabinet, and PRINT such information that you may want to read again - and read it again and again!

This sounds as if I am "spoon feeding you" on the subject of "Beef Cattle Production!" That is exactly what I am doing! This is a very complicated and demanding business to perform properly, and you need all of the help that you can get - and then some. Most successful cattle producers have lived, eaten and breathed the Cattle Business since they were born, and they still don't know all the secrets to doing it correctly. Contact your County Agent and live in his back pocket with questions, and he will get you all kinds of helpful bits of printed information on how to raise beef cattle! Subscribe to your Limousin Breed magazine (pronounced "Lim'-uh zn" or Lim'-uh sun. Sometimes "Lim'-uh-seen". Sometimes "Lim'-o-sin". Note that the accent is on LIM' -uh-sun. Incorrect pronunciation is "Limozeen'"- like the big automobile.) . . . . and read it from cover to cover. Also subscribe to "Beef" (http://www.beef-mag-.com) and (http://www.beefcowcalf.com) and read them like textbooks! Do this even if the BU$INE$$ IS A HOBBY! Losing money is not fun - even if it is a hobby! You should at least try to stay even. - - after several years. Beef cattle breeding is a long term committment. You owe it to your cattle friends to do it properly.

Good luck to you, and God Bless you both!

DOC HARRIS

Here are some sites for more info on your Limousins.
NALF.org
LimousinWorld.com also DeRon Heldermon with Limousin World, he covers our area and very good to work with.
missourilimousin.com a state association that will help promote, shows, and sale of limousins
Heartland Limousin Association contact Dean Summerbell 763-434-2891 Dean will be good help.
Myself and anybody else here will be glad to help. Good luck

Here are some sites for more info on your Limousins.
NALF.org
LimousinWorld.com also DeRon Heldermon with Limousin World, he covers our area and very good to work with.
missourilimousin.com a state association that will help promote, shows, and sale of limousins
Heartland Limousin Association contact Dean Summerbell 763-434-2891 Dean will be good help.
Myself and anybody else here will be glad to help. Good luck

Also, hmlba.com (Heartland Missouri Limousin Breeders Association)

Our Lim bull is a sweetheart too....with a DOC EPD of 1.

Remember that you are dealing with a animal that has a stomach thirty times the size of it's brain....go figure which one controls the behavior of the beast.

Please take heed of all the years of experience that has been offered to you...free of charge...it could save your life.

And that's my two bits worth....asked for or not. Dmc