Another school shooting

Help Support CattleToday:

mental illness is a given....

but what about schools makes them want to target schools?

It has been suggested in other places that it is bullying and constant bullying on social media....

my answer to that was there were bullys back in the day but parents back then were allowed to administer a swat to offending hind parts....

today little johnny should be allowed to do anything he wants...and suspension is the most severe punishment there is.

The systematic break down of the family unit is where this begins... The majority of these boys are being raised by absentee single mothers who have more than enough on their plate just making the ends meet. They are left to their own devices during formative years. They dwell on the fringe socially during JR high school and high school, (where children are at their most vicious) and many endure tremendous amounts of mental, physical and emotional torture from their peers. They lack the coping skills to navigate the negative behavior;compounded by the fact they have little to no support system at home. This creates a victim mentality that seeks revenge against humanity in general. Just angry, destructive young men with no empathy or compassion, or value for human life. I firmly believe it starts with the breakdown of the family unit.

We had bullies and I was little fellow and got my share, but the thought never entered my mind to shoot the place up. You learned how to deal with them. You got prepared for life that way.

Something is bad wrong now... More wronger than before.

bball":3116d1k8 said:
They dwell on the fringe socially during JR high school and high school, (where children are at their most vicious) and many endure tremendous amounts of mental, physical and emotional torture from their peers. They lack the coping skills to navigate the negative behavior;compounded by the fact they have little to no support system at home. .

Brad,

Those navigation skills are a life-long challenge. But particularly for the JR High age group. I think it might be a greater challenge now than ever.

Bright Raven":2kh9gfyj said:
Caustic Burno":2kh9gfyj said:
There is a problem in itself parents, teachers or their peers let it go.

I have wondered about that. A teacher probably observes a warning sign - Do they report those? If they do, what are the authorities limitations under a free society to do anything without violating someone's rights?
This is very difficult because nowadays if you single someone out you are easily called a bigot or racist no matter what skin color, nationality, or religion. There are always some that will say that you are picking and choosing. This is a big issue in our country. People are very worried about being politically correct instead of doing the logical or right thing.

bball":1dxsivwk said:
The systematic break down of the family unit is where this begins... The majority of these boys are being raised by absentee single mothers who have more than enough on their plate just making the ends meet. They are left to their own devices during formative years. They dwell on the fringe socially during JR high school and high school, (where children are at their most vicious) and many endure tremendous amounts of mental, physical and emotional torture from their peers. They lack the coping skills to navigate the negative behavior;compounded by the fact they have little to no support system at home. This creates a victim mentality that seeks revenge against humanity in general. Just angry, destructive young men with no empathy or compassion, or value for human life. I firmly believe it starts with the breakdown of the family unit.

I think this nails it....
The breakdown and the government subsidy of the breakdown of the family unit.
Also goes a long way toward explaining urban crime and gangs.

bball":4owctg3q said:
This sums it up pretty good. The family is not important anymore. Also might I add that God is not the center of family anymore. This is a big issue. If they have no honor or respect for God, then family, then teachers, then peers, then themselves, it leads to a lack of honor of life itself.

What I don't understand is why you typically don't see this happening in inner city schools like Detroit, Chicago, or other big cities were you think it would happen more often?

haase":16dpdyuu said:
What I don't understand is why you typically don't see this happening in inner city schools like Detroit, Chicago, or other big cities were you think it would happen more often?

because they deal with it daily on the street via the surrogate family...... GANGS and gang violence.

Same scenario but different culture

Bright Raven":16tb9a92 said:
bball":16tb9a92 said:
They dwell on the fringe socially during JR high school and high school, (where children are at their most vicious) and many endure tremendous amounts of mental, physical and emotional torture from their peers. They lack the coping skills to navigate the negative behavior;compounded by the fact they have little to no support system at home. .

Brad,

Those navigation skills are a life-long challenge. But particularly for the JR High age group. I think it might be a greater challenge now than ever.

Kids today get no break from it due to social media, as opposed to when we were kids and peer bullying stopped when you got home(usually). Not making excuses for their behavior, just pointing out variables contributing to how this happens. There is clearly a percentage of children that these factors impact in a destructive manner. This am, radio reported that in this country for the entire 20th century, 226 victims of mass shootings. In the 17 years of the the 21st century, we have already reached 212 victims.

I understand about the gang violence in the cities, but there not the mass killings like in the schools with so many at one time.

pdfangus":1kf3m2ie said:
haase":1kf3m2ie said:

because they deal with it daily on the street via the surrogate family...... GANGS and gang violence.

Same scenario but different culture

Significant difference in coping between urban and suburban cultures.

haase":2mhyzdsg said:
I understand about the gang violence in the cities, but there not the mass killings like in the schools with so many at one time.

Urban children are trying to survive; hustle, do whatever it takes to make it to tomorrow. Suburban kids don't have survival issues like money for food, shelter, clothing. Theirs becomes one of emotional dysfunction. Different set of problems creates a different reaction.

MRRherefords":210xrusp said:
Bright Raven":210xrusp said:
Caustic Burno":210xrusp said:
There is a problem in itself parents, teachers or their peers let it go.

I have wondered about that. A teacher probably observes a warning sign - Do they report those? If they do, what are the authorities limitations under a free society to do anything without violating someone's rights?
This is very difficult because nowadays if you single someone out you are easily called a bigot or racist no matter what skin color, nationality, or religion. There are always some that will say that you are picking and choosing. This is a big issue in our country. People are very worried about being politically correct instead of doing the logical or right thing.

It goes far beyond Politically Correct. There are constitutional rights and the rule of law.

A teacher who observes dysfunctional behavior that may indicate the individual is capable of committing a violent act might report the individual to the school administration. That person has rights which have to be protected under our constitution. A person cannot be disciplined for an act they "might" commit.

bball":2dpsyq34 said:
Bright Raven":2dpsyq34 said:
bball":2dpsyq34 said:

Brad,

Kids today get no break from it due to social media, as opposed to when we were kids and peer bullying stopped when you got home(usually). Not making excuses for their behavior, just pointing out variables contributing to how this happens. There is clearly a percentage of children that these factors impact in a destructive manner. This am, radio reported that in this country for the entire 20th century, 226 victims of mass shootings. In the 17 years of the the 21st century, we have already reached 212 victims.

Us population in 1917 was roughly 103 million. 2016 roughly 323 million.....you should have more instances.....however the curve may be a bit ahead. Changing the way adolescent crime is handled might slow that curve.

Im pretty sure when I grew up, my civil rights were owned by my parents till I was 18.......

Broward county went over 2 to 1 for the dumocrats. The schools need armed security, and armed teachers. In this day and age there's no way something like this should happen again. Schools are supposed to be safe zones and law enforcement is to blame for this travesty.

If that were true, there would be a massacre at every jr high and high school in the country...and in every teen social gathering venue every week. There isn't. There's much more to it than just the 'poor Little Johnny; mommy wasn't around much & didn't love him daddy didn't hug him' thing.

Bright Raven":3d7flrbp said:
MRRherefords":3d7flrbp said:
Bright Raven":3d7flrbp said:

It goes far beyond Politically Correct. There are constitutional rights and the rule of law.

A teacher who observes dysfunctional behavior that may indicate the individual is capable of committing a violent act might report the individual to the school administration. That person has rights which have to be protected under our constitution. A person cannot be disciplined for an act they "might" commit.
Killing lizzards, birds and shooting guns is a possible sign of school violence now. I've never wanted to go to school and kill anyone.

True Grit Farms":o0fjjhao said:
Broward county went over 2 to 1 for the dumocrats. The schools need armed security, and armed teachers. In this day and age there's no way something like this should happen again. Schools are supposed to be safe zones and law enforcement is to blame for this travesty.

Grit, you raise an interesting point. I had the opportunity to talk with one of our local police sergeants last night while I was at work. He informed me that they can not recruit or retain enough officers to meet their allotted positions. He claims this is a nationwide problem that will continue to get worse over time. Not a lot of interest to work a high risk, low reward career; especially with risk of media and attorneys scrutinizing your job performance. All for a starting pay under $40k.

greybeard":3o7fbtxc said:
If that were true, there would be a massacre at every jr high and high school in the country...and in every teen social gathering venue every week. There isn't. There's much more to it than just the 'poor Little Johnny; mommy wasn't around much & didn't love him daddy didn't hug him' thing.

You grossly over generalized what I wrote. There is certainly a genetic factor to mental illness and also an environmental factor. I simply initiated the environmental possibilities. Can't ignore the commonality of the environments these kids come from. But your probably right, the destruction of the family unit, especially since the 1960's, really hasn't negatively impacted our society at all :roll:

Latest posts