Another ? re: Seller responsibility . . . Bred Cow/No Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Have a nice weekend! Like I said, I'll let you know, when I know. As I recall, none of you clamoring to have me do this or do that live here at our place, and although I appreciate all the input, I said I'd let you know . . . . Whatever personal angst I have to share is mine to share, and not yours to pick at. ;-)

Kathie in Thorp":2910wepa said:
Nope -- nothing. I've seen a "heat sign" (mounting) only once since she came to us last Sept., about a month ago, and was hoping that maybe she was just putting out a similar hormone near calving. Like I said before, will let you know when I've figured how to approach the seller, or to do nothing at all. Some folks here are very weary of the topic. Thanks, Chippie.

I think before you contact the seller you need to have the vet find out why your cow isn't cycling regularly? Something isn't right, and you need to know what it is if you want to bred her with the rest of your herd. Good luck :)

Kathie in Thorp":3ghlhlez said:
Have a nice weekend! Like I said, I'll let you know, when I know. As I recall, none of you clamoring to have me do this or do that live here at our place, and although I appreciate all the input, I said I'd let you know . . . . Whatever personal angst I have to share is mine to share, and not yours to pick at. ;-)
The answer to the problem is on page 1 of this 9 pages of comments. No need to contact the seller. She already told you exactly what she would do and she offered to go over and above what many would offer. Take the money and quit moaning about your "misfortune".

Not yet . . . Still figuring out what to do, how to approach it, if anything. I'll let you know! I know all of you want to know. Am not going to do anything knee-jerk or nasty! I've soaked up all everyone has offered for advice. :) K

I almost hate to say this, but don't wait too long on your decision. Don't leave the seller hanging, especially since the husband is having health problems.

I know, Chippie. But I don't think they are "hanging" on waiting for my call! I wanted to GO OUT AS FAR AS POSSIBLE for the benefit of the doubt -- past the June date! I did leave a message on their phone this evening, asking for a return call. Will let all y'a'll know . . . . This has been a hot topic, and I won't do you the discourtesy of not reporting the rest of the story, however it goes. Hope everyone has a good week, if you can't stay on the farm/ranch and have to sign in at a cubicle or some such! K

Kathie in Thorp":g6o9hwxp said:
Made second call to Seller after 5 days; got the machine again. Asked (with a smiley face) for the courtesy of a return call. That's all I can tell you for now.

I don't know what the husband's help problems are, but I sure hope that is not the reason they aren't answering their phone :(

I can't understand what is so hard about just taking the cow in to get preg checked, honestly if she is even close to calving, 7 plus months you should be able to see a calf moving on her right side. Seems you have wasted alot of time, with what ifs, if you just would have gotten her checked months ago, you wouldn't be wondering. Even if she isnt bred, I just can't see how the people who you bought it from are anyway responsible for that, as she may have aborted.It was your responsibility to get her to a vet and checked out, a good vet can tell you everything about a cow by preg checking it, if it has a infection, cycling, small female parts, what not, and you could have went from there. Are you even sure the calf that the cow had when you purchased it was even her calf? Maybe it was a lemon cow all the time, then I could see them being responsible to some point, but it would be impossible to prove. if you like the cow keep her, get her checked out, and bred to whatever you like,(if she will breed that is) as it doesn't sound like the people will ever call you back.

Not trying to beat a dead horse... ;-)

Some thoughts:

A seller that sells a cow should represent as "open", "exposed", or "bred". Only way to tell whether is "open" or "bred" is to have it preg checked, best via ultrasound. Otherwise, a cow is "exposed" from Date thru Date (time of sale).

Preg check before 2 or 3 months is a crap shoot due to examiner competency variables, especially if cow was only "palpated".

This aside...

Considering the last posts on this thread, I would "cut my losses or profits" and move on. Tomorrow is another day. Forget about the seller since they apparently aren't interested in discussing the issue further.

JMHO ;-)

The seller already made about the most generous offer he can...."I'll come get the cow and you can have your money back ". I guess they got tired of waiting on the disappointed buyer.

THE END OF THIS STORY . . . .

We've just returned home from MO -- my husband's 98 yr. mom passed away last week. 99 year dad is still independent, living in their home, and driving . . . .

So, about that cow: I left messages for the seller a couple of times in July, after conversations in May, about the cow that should have calved in April . . . . or maybe not until late June or end July, . . . . or ???? Nothing happened. Won't call them again.

The seller offered to drive 6 hours to pick up that cow in May, but asked that I wait until end June because their record keeping wasn't real good. I waited -- we like the cow! I was buying a "bred cow" -- I should have asked that she be preg-checked before I hauled her. She never calved, never showed any sign of abortion. I learned something! She's now been checked; she should be okay for another go at it. So we'll give her another shot. Yeah, that might not be the smart thing to do, but that's what we're doing. Done, done, and done.

And, really, I do appreciate all the comments from the long-timers. :heart: But I felt some were really hammering on a newbie, like I should have been an old-timer or not even in the game at all. I pass something along, that I heard used by an aged MO auntie in reply to a too-forward question last week -- and I don't direct this at anyone, but keep it for your future use: "Sorry, Preacher, but sometimes you're preaching sounds more like meddling."

Already missing Missouri, but glad to be home! ;-)

Kathie in Thorp":1n02wbfr said:
So, I have a question that may have been answered on this site before I arrived:

What if you're sold a bred (and registered) cow, that doesn't calve? In my situation, I bought from a known breeder, but new to me, from another state. Bred cow with a steer calf at side. All our emails, phone conversations, etc., said BRED COW -- but I missed that the seller didn't put "bred" on the bill of sale for the cow until lately. Per the info they gave me, she was exposed after calving in March from April through July 2010. During that time, seller was going through chemo and other ugly stuff.

In talking to the wife a few weeks ago, she's not sure that he got the breeding dates right in any clear time frame -- that the cow may have been w/ the bull right up until my purchase in late Sept. 2010. Wife has offered to come pick up the cow (6 hr. drive) and pay my $$ back for her if the cow doesn't calve by end June. They can't replace her-- they've retired from cattle because of hubby's health problems, and they don't have anything to replace her with. But, heck, I can't replace her now for what I paid for her a year ago! And I can't get that breed (American British White Park) easily in my part of the country. I'd like to give that cow another chance, but I've missed out on a calf this year. Advice/suggestions, for when I talk to her again -- end June ?
And, no, I didn't preg check her, after 3 mos. with the bull. And no, she has no udder development or other tell-tale signs. She's big, but I think she's just over-conditioned right now with our big spring grass. Thanks, all!

Kathie

I am not sure you can ask for Advice/suggestions and then 9 pages later accuse folks of meddling. Sometimes you get ALL the answers to your questions, not just the ones you like.
FWIW I have not commentated up to thhis point but my short answer is you should have had her pregchecked the DAY that the seller made you that offer and then taken her up on it. It seems to me at least that you not doing that places the responsibility for everything that came afterwards squarely on you.

I have much the same situation going on a registered GV cow that I paid $2,000 for last summer. She aborted a malformed calf this winter and I have no guarantee that she is ever going to breed back. I promise you that if that seller made me the same offer you got I would haul her back to Kansas tomorrow.

Latest posts