Another ? re: Seller responsibility . . . Bred Cow/No Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Well said backhoe, Too many people take an off the wall comment from some one and take it as the truth without doing some checking, then add to the mistake by passing it on.
Moving on!!!!

hopalong":3lgxo3je said:
Well said backhoe, Too many people take an off the wall comment from some one and take it as the truth without doing some checking, then add to the mistake by passing it on.

I was talking totally about the statement that you made regarding some breeds wont come in heat till the calf is weined, as far as Brithsh White I know for a fact they are not of that type as I breed and raise them.
And I asked my granddaughter about that fact even done some research on the net to no avail!!!! That is why I asked you for some link to what you claimed

Moving on!!!!

Suzie Q":y5en46ox said:
Thank you. That is not the only ones. As I said that is how we started our whole herd by buying cattle like that and then breeding from them. That is also why we have so many breeds. We have done it over and over. Very easy as we are on creek flats and make our own hay.

Another thing is that the Bazadais people actually advertise that the Bazadais breed will go into calf while in calf. If that was normal with all breeds I don't think they would bother advertising it.

It is Monday so my brain may not be working properly so can someone please explain this ?

Kathie have you gotten your cow vet checked yet ?

hillsdown":scw7ao1y said:
Suzie Q":scw7ao1y said:
Thank you. That is not the only ones. As I said that is how we started our whole herd by buying cattle like that and then breeding from them. That is also why we have so many breeds. We have done it over and over. Very easy as we are on creek flats and make our own hay.

Another thing is that the Bazadais people actually advertise that the Bazadais breed will go into calf while in calf. If that was normal with all breeds I don't think they would bother advertising it.

It is Monday so my brain may not be working properly so can someone please explain this ?

Kathie have you gotten your cow vet checked yet ?
She was trying to state that the breed {Bazadais} can get pregnant while still nursing a calf, but now she realizes that that is true of all breeds. The Bazadais are better at it than some because they are used to harsh conditions and if nutrition is not adequet they stand a better chance of re-breeding with a calf at side. At least thats how i took it.

those indu cattle can survive in that state of condition,, they'll survive where others would perish, but all of their energy is put into just that... survival... on the farm they will produce fine with controlled breeding

Hillsdown - I have NOT had the cow checked yet. Waiting her out 'till end June, as I PROMISED (1st) just to get past that last/possible/if-at-all due date; and (2nd) my other couple of cows are due in the fall, and to try to get the girls all on the same general schedule, I would not re-breed that particular cow--if that's the decision--until later. So, just couldn't see the point in getting excited and going through the expense of checking her last week rather than waiting it out just a little longer.

I'm with bigag on this one! The breeder doesn't "owe" you anything, unless they are incredibly generous! You bought the cow "exposed", which means she was with a bull, but does not mean a guaranteed pregnancy! It was up to you to ask to have her preg tested before you picked her up if you wanted a guarantee.

You can all comment, all you want. I dealt with the seller for 2 mos. before purchase -- I was in the market for a BRED COW, and that's what seller took my money on! Like I said before, I'll let you know how it turns out.

agmantoo":2ubtyd28 said:
Suzie Q

I can see how in your mind that cattle are inconsistent in their heat cycles and rebreeding having read your post on the intervals you are experiencing.

Are you in the cattle business for hobby or profit?

If for profit you have a problem. Your cattle and the reproduction thereof is not typical! I suggest you check with other producers in your area and see if they also experience the lengthy periods between calving. If not, it may be time to have a liquidation sale and start over.

...or check Mr Toro for low swimmer count :cowboy:

Gators Rule":2njuccta said:
agmantoo":2njuccta said:
Suzie Q

I can see how in your mind that cattle are inconsistent in their heat cycles and rebreeding having read your post on the intervals you are experiencing.

Are you in the cattle business for hobby or profit?

If for profit you have a problem. Your cattle and the reproduction thereof is not typical! I suggest you check with other producers in your area and see if they also experience the lengthy periods between calving. If not, it may be time to have a liquidation sale and start over.

...or check Mr Toro for low swimmer count :cowboy:

The other thing that Bazadais are famous for is how fertile they are. Brody did have a semen test before we bought him and very good swimmers with a high amount. He worked from the day he arrived here. TOUCHWOOD 2 seasons 48 live calves with no assistance whatsoever and 100% pregnant. He then went to my friend's farm and 7 calved in one week.

The new bull had 2 calves born on the first day (the day before yesterday), so he seems to be working ok as well.

Suzie Q do your cows cycle in mid summer or does the high temperature interfear with their cycle?

Kathie in Thorp":4yqdyyss said:
You can all comment, all you want. I dealt with the seller for 2 mos. before purchase -- I was in the market for a BRED COW, and that's what seller took my money on! Like I said before, I'll let you know how it turns out.

I think this is the answer to your problem. Seven pages of comments and the answer was in your original post...What else do you want from them?? A pound of flesh??

Wife has offered to come pick up the cow (6 hr. drive) and pay my $$ back for her if the cow doesn't calve by end June.

I don't understand why you don't go ahead and get the cow checked. Why waste any more time?

If you had checked the cow when she didn't calve the first time, you would be way ahead of the game.

Anyhow, it seems that your mind is made up that you were cheated, when in fact you assumed that the cow was in calf. The seller probably would have had the cow checked if you had only asked.

What happened is not the seller's fault, it is yours namely because you did not ask if she was safe in calf. I am beginning to feel sorry for the sellers. I really get tired of people trying to blame others for their mistakes and trying to make others pay for them.

Live and learn.

Chippie I pretty much agree, should have preg checked her prior to taking delivery, putting it off any longer does nothing except harbor bad feelings, Unless there was a BRED on the bill of sale does not look like there is much of a case. However the seller seems to be overly generous, and the buyer wanting to set on their hands.
As my gramps used to say " CRAP or get off the POT"
The seller does not deserve to be kept waiting forever!!!

Kathy, at this point it appears we are all talking just to hear ourselves beause, clearly, you have it all figured out.

It makes no difference what arbitrary "end point" you set...the cow still needs to be PALPATED. If you are even remotely considering keeping this cow, you cannot make any intelligent decisions without knowing what is going on. It is possible that the calf died and she never sloughed, meaning that you have a rotten calf carcass in your special cow. How are you going to know this if you don't check...yes an unlikely scenario, but one many of us have seen before. The cow can have a number of problems or she could simply be an open cow, but regardless of the impact on your deal with seller, you need to know. You have come to the Beginner board for a reason! Swallow your pride, realize that most of this is your fault, and do your due diligence to get all of the information.

What an awful thought bigag03. I certainly hope that is not the case. :(

As Chippie said you can get a cow preg tested now by taking some blood and sending it away. At least here in Aus we can. But that wouldn't tell you if you have a mummified calf at a guess.

We calve all year round 1wlimo. Up in the top of Queensland gets a lot hotter than here and they have a huge wet season, but here we don't. if you take December as being summer then those calved in September would have been inseminated around then. We also don't get snow. The worst is a frost, which disappears once the sun come out, and that can only be 3 times a year sometimes.

Our cars have big ears to help dissipate the heat.

Latest posts