Another New Law

Help Support CattleToday:

trappersteve":2iqto4pp said:
skyhightree1":2iqto4pp said:
trappersteve":2iqto4pp said:
Sky, What brand do you recomend the one I was looking at was a barnett

I like Barnett and ten point... They have been great to me. Barnett is great only problem well not a problem but before half nock 22" bolts were hard to find here not anymore. The thing I suggest is to see what bolts it takes and which is readily available where you are. the ten point bolts were everywhere
Thanx, another question What kinda optics are the best red dot, and how flat do those things shoot

I like plain ol scope with reticles you don't have to worry about a battery dying at the worst time. I can shoot 40 yds with either and hit on my mark. My scope has reticle lines for different yards 10 20 30 40 50 basically what you do is use that crosshair for that yardage it is very important to know yards to make a good shot. I do not shoot over 40 yds so I don't know how accurate it is over 40 on either bow. I also do not know much about red dot scopes I don't like them, I am sticking with the tried and true that have brought me luck.

Workinonit - Maybe this will make you feel better. Dog hunting for deer and bear is not permitted on Sundays.

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604 ... um+HB1237S

2014 SESSION
| print version
HB 1237 Wild animals & birds; unlawful to hunt on private property and state waters on Sunday, exception.
Introduced by: C. Todd Gilbert | all patrons ... notes | add to my profiles | history

SUMMARY AS PASSED HOUSE:
Hunting on Sundays. Allows hunting on Sundays under certain circumstances. A person may hunt waterfowl, subject to restrictions imposed by the Director of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, and a landowner and his immediate family or a person with written permission from the landowner may hunt or kill any wild bird or wild animal, including nuisance species, on the landowner's property. However, the aforementioned hunting activities cannot occur within 200 yards of a house of worship. The bill prohibits the hunting of deer or bear with a gun, firearm, or other weapon with the aid or assistance of dogs on Sunday. This bill is identical to SB 154.

SUMMARY AS INTRODUCED:
Hunting on Sundays. Allows hunting on Sundays under certain circumstances. A person may hunt waterfowl, subject to restrictions imposed by the Director of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, and a landowner and his immediate family or a person with written permission may hunt or kill any wild bird or wild animal, including nuisance species, if they hunt on the landowner's property. However, the aforementioned hunting activities cannot occur within 200 yards of a house of worship. The bill prohibits the hunting of deer with dogs on Sunday.

Well, its something. :lol:

I think landowners should be able to do what they wish on their own land, regardless of what day of the week it is.

IMHO, "public" land is a different thing.

As for hunting with dogs, personally, I've known only 3 people (this does not include CT members) that I would allow to hunt our place with their dogs. One of them has asked a few times and each time we told them to go ahead. As for all the other folks that I know, that hunt with dogs, they and their dogs are sorry excuses and are one of the main reasons why more and more people won't allow it on their property and just wish it would be outlawed.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm" said:
Dog hunting in VA will never be completely outlawed write it down this date that I said it. There is way too much money involved in dogs here and too many folks with alot of money involved in it. I am heavy into dog hunting as you know but I do wish the season was restricted to only December. I am surprised he hasn't chimed in as well. So workinonit when can me and my dogs come to your place and hunt :lol2:

Workinonit Farm":1onmkafw said:
I think landowners should be able to do what they wish on their own land, regardless of what day of the week it is.
And they can. They don't have to let people hunt on Sundays.
I'll agree with others that say you won't even notice in a few years, even though it doesn't seem like it now. There is no logic in not allowing Sunday hunting, people are just resistant to change. We had the same complaints here in Ohio when we finally got that foolish law changed about 15 years ago. No one even thinks about it now.

ask and you shall recieve....

as a horseback rider, I worked a good bit in opposition to this new law...last year it was pretty easy to defeat....

But this year the proper pockets had evidently been suitably lined and the bill slid thru the general assembly like a fart in the night...

I grew up hunting wih my daddy...he loved to hear his beagles running rabbits....but the trash hunters got so bad that he did not want to be associated with them and he quit when I was in my late teens....I hunted for a few years after that and finally decided he was right....My daddy use to take a week of vacation to run rabbits and he would take a day off here and there....if hunting is what you want to do, you can plan for it and do it when you want....

Like Katherine said hunting is a religion around here and there are guys who don't do anything else all winter....We are in dog country and dogs pretty much run in my neighborhood 365 days a year....regardless of the laws...

With seasons that run from october to february there is time to hunt....

I have permission to ride all the timber land around me, but it is leased to the hunt clubs....so during hunting season I have to trailer my horse somewhere to ride....I cannot ride in my own neighborhood without risk of having my horse shot....If I put bells on the horse they get mad bacause I am interfering with the hunt and scaring the game....Some of these guys will talk pretty rough when they have a shot gun in their hand....until they notice henry thumbuster pointing at them....now I will have to do it on Sunday as well for four months a year. Not counting spring gobbler season and assorted other special seasons....actually turkey hunters don't bother me a bit as they are usually true hunters trying to match wits with a very wiley pray...it is mostly these yahoos who can not get out of their truck to hunt that blister my butt....

I think it is just another case of we have the best politicians money can buy....and I have heard plenty of bragging about how much money the club spent....

pdfangus said:
Like Katherine said hunting is a religion around here and there are guys who don't do anything else all winter....We are in dog country and dogs pretty much run in my neighborhood 365 days a year....regardless of the laws...

quote]

I resemble that statement although I cut beans in the winter months and hunt so I do do something other than hunt lol pdf you won't have to deal with dog hunters on sunday but still hunters and rabbit hunters using dogs on sunday. I see both sides but some guys including myself spend a great deal in hunting and hounds and love to hunt with hounds. I have more than enough land that I and my grandmother owns to hunt by myself but I enjoy hunting in a group with hounds. We do not do crazy stuff like some of the clubs do that gives everyone a bad name. In my county dogs have roaming rights I guess they have that in yours as well. There is a TON of big $ people involved in dogs and its becoming more popular. That being said I wish bow season was one month blk powder was one month and dog season one month not 2 months.

SKY,

I have no problem with guys like you who have some ethics while hunting. I grew up raising rabbit hounds and running rabbits...
For deer I preferred the still hunt and stalk techniques....find that big buck and cross paths with him by your own wits and abilities.
but these guys round where I live don't hunt the way I was raised....run the roads listening to the radio collar signals and then lining the road waiting for the deer to cross...this is only slightly illegal apparently and also apparently I am the only one who ever calls the law on them....most of them finally understand that my property is my property and not theirs and that they can not just come roaring in any time they want for any reason they want....I wear a pistol on my hip at home nearly all the time for snakes and other varmits...some of the varmits now understand me better....I have freinds and neighbors who hate the behavior as well but choose to just tolerate it bucause they don't want to upset the local boys or cause hard feeling....I want the local boys to know not to upset me....odd thing is when they are not hunting most of them are okay fellers...the ones who show some sense and repsect are welcome.

but we really do have dogs running all the time....it is better now than it used to be..now they do make some effort to catch the dogs at the end of the day....the dogs used to just run loose all the time and scrounge for a living......and after the season a lot of them were on their own....unfortunately the hounds would go to the road looking for a truck to pick them up and many met a gruesome fate there....

but between deer season and coon hunting and fox hunting...there is not much time when you can't see some dogs...I feel sorry for the dogs....sore footed and starving and cowering when they show up here....then my dogs don't want em here and I have to keep my own dogs in the house so they won't eat the hounds....

and now I can't ride around my own land on Sunday....I am pretty much considered a mean old man any way and this does nothing to improve my attitude....

pdfangus":36e7f39n said:
SKY,

I have no problem with guys like you who have some ethics while hunting. I grew up raising rabbit hounds and running rabbits...
For deer I preferred the still hunt and stalk techniques....find that big buck and cross paths with him by your own wits and abilities.
but these guys round where I live don't hunt the way I was raised....run the roads listening to the radio collar signals and then lining the road waiting for the deer to cross...this is only slightly illegal apparently and also apparently I am the only one who ever calls the law on them....most of them finally understand that my property is my property and not theirs and that they can not just come roaring in any time they want for any reason they want....I wear a pistol on my hip at home nearly all the time for snakes and other varmits...some of the varmits now understand me better....I have freinds and neighbors who hate the behavior as well but choose to just tolerate it bucause they don't want to upset the local boys or cause hard feeling....I want the local boys to know not to upset me....odd thing is when they are not hunting most of them are okay fellers...the ones who show some sense and repsect are welcome.

but we really do have dogs running all the time....it is better now than it used to be..now they do make some effort to catch the dogs at the end of the day....the dogs used to just run loose all the time and scrounge for a living......and after the season a lot of them were on their own....unfortunately the hounds would go to the road looking for a truck to pick them up and many met a gruesome fate there....

but between deer season and coon hunting and fox hunting...there is not much time when you can't see some dogs...I feel sorry for the dogs....sore footed and starving and cowering when they show up here....then my dogs don't want em here and I have to keep my own dogs in the house so they won't eat the hounds....

and now I can't ride around my own land on Sunday....I am pretty much considered a mean old man any way and this does nothing to improve my attitude....

I understand pdf I prefer still hunting and all my mounts came from still or stalking. There is alot of guys out here that will do the same. I have gps and tracking collars as well as many others do. We will on a windy day when we cant hear the hounds turn on the gps and find out where they are but we do so in hopes we will catch the dogs and bring them home the same day. It sounds like to me you have a major issue with dog owners up your way. If you need your local game wardens name and # I have it. My warden was off and he came down here to fix a problem for me cause by some dog hunters :shock: pdf I am scaling down out of dogs and probably within next 2 years will be totally out of the deer dogs and focus on coon dogs only.

Workinonit Farm":2ax0503s said:
Well, for some of us here in Virginia, there will be some happy people and from what I can tell, there will be many, many MORE unhappy people. I admit, I am one of the unhappy ones.

Starting tomorrow, one of many new laws, goes into effect......hunting will now be legal on Sundays.

My response....Really????? 6 days a week for almost 4 months isn't enough? Add to those 4 months rabbit, squirrel, turkey, spring gobbler etc. Bow, black-powder, rifle etc.

The first time this came up, within the state, it didn't pass. But I guess the powers that be, in the state legislature also "have a pen and a phone".

Don't get me wrong this is not a case of sour grapes, I have nothing against hunting, I do it myself, bow and rifle, but personally I think 6 days a week is enough. I could understand if we only had a 3 or 4 week hunting season here, but we don't.

Anyhow, I just needed to vent.

Katherine

For one I don't hunt on Sunday.
Sunday is a day for church and rest in this household.
IMO I have enough to answer for when I get to the Pearly Gates without adding to the list.
Always said a man will break everyone of the commandments over a dollar bill, land deed, woman
and a White Tail Deer.

skyhightree1":1734vefv said:
Dog hunting in VA will never be completely outlawed write it down this date that I said it. There is way too much money involved in dogs here and too many folks with alot of money involved in it. I am heavy into dog hunting as you know but I do wish the season was restricted to only December. I am surprised he hasn't chimed in as well. So workinonit when can me and my dogs come to your place and hunt :lol2:

I heard the same thing in East Texas Sky in 1994 now it is a felony to have buckshot and hunt with a dog.

Caustic Burno":35h4il1k said:
I heard the same thing in East Texas Sky in 1994 now it is a felony to have buckshot and hunt with a dog.

The shame is law abiding citizens out bird hunting encounter feral hogs. Bird shot won't do what needs to be done.

Caustic Burno":9cbh1ckw said:
skyhightree1":9cbh1ckw said:

I won't say never but I would be willing to bet within next 20 years it will still be around. Dogs are truly BIG business here and there are many fox pens here and opening up every year. Workinonit and PDF can attest to how much big business they are here its unreal. I personally feel they will ban cattle farming before they ever dreamed of touching hound hunting here.

Edit: It would take something really drastic to make them even consider it I just don't see them banning deer dog hunting on the horizon anywhere.

I hunted with dogs all my life till about 15 years ago. I only takes a few landowners to get it stopped. where I live there is one public forest that about 60 miles away that still allows dogs. I can happen before you know it so enjoy while you can.

you may be correct about banning cattle farming....
there is mounting pressure every year on the entire agricultural sector from the do gooder environmentalist....
right now virginia is in the second year of promising 100 % cost share to fence livestock out of public waters....they guarantee that if you apply and are approved it will be paid for but they do not guarantee when...didn't find any new mondy to pay for it... they are running us ragged right now....
at some point in time they will tell producers you had your opportunity...now it will become law...
most people will support it because they think milk comes from the grocery store....

pdfangus":217xx1su said:
there is mounting pressure every year on the entire agricultural sector from the do gooder environmentalist....
right now virginia is in the second year of promising 100 % cost share to fence livestock out of public waters....they guarantee that if you apply and are approved it will be paid for but they do not guarantee when...didn't find any new mondy to pay for it... they are running us ragged right now....
at some point in time they will tell producers you had your opportunity...now it will become law...
most people will support it because they think milk comes from the grocery store....

We were doing that here 20 years ago. Now the funding agencies tell me that they will pay for fence to keep cows out of the creeks and I tell them I don't know of a single place to spend it. I don't think there is a cow or horse in this county with direct access to a stream. And when they paid for the fence they also paid for alternate watering sources.

pdfangus":2gpbohd4 said:

PDF i can tell you I already had mine taken care of fencing issue.

M5farm":ma1mjwaa said:
I hunted with dogs all my life till about 15 years ago. I only takes a few landowners to get it stopped. where I live there is one public forest that about 60 miles away that still allows dogs. I can happen before you know it so enjoy while you can.

It can also be that it takes a few landowners to keep it going. ;-)

skyhightree1":5xi8vdv5 said:
M5farm":5xi8vdv5 said:

It can also be that it takes a few landowners to keep it going. ;-)

That is exactly what got the yahoo's outlawed was the landowner's! Dog hunters thinking their
hunting rights trumped their property owner rights.
Get enough people PO'd and all it takes is a few to do it and poof just like the movie.
Gone with the Wind.
A group of us went before the game commision to work out a split season in certain counties.
When it got outlawed a few idiots went to setting the forest on fire in retaliation, it was gone forever.
The commissioners craved it in stone and wrote it in blood got the state legislators to make it final.

http://www.chron.com/sports/outdoors/ar ... 640367.php

Latest posts