Another money saver

Help Support CattleToday:

tuff crowd....
She's the one that bought me the shorts..I had to ask what they were and why she bought me 1/2 a pair of pants.
I suppose I should be thankful she bought me the top 1/2 and not just the bottom 1/2..........

People today that worked like I did have so many advantages with tools. The stuff I did 35 years ago doesn't have to be done now. For instance, swinging a 3lb. Hammer at a stardrill to get through a concrete wall , beating your wrist and fingers when you miss, is no longer necessary, get a drill!!
We simply didn't have time to protect ourselves. At 64, I pay for it now!!!
That being said, i now own a home in Florida for the winter, to rest my beat up body, so there was a trade off. GS

I fell timber for 20+ years. For maybe the first 10 or so nobody wore chaps. The state Labor and Industries started making us wear them. But we never wore those big bulky strapped over your pants kind. They constricted your movement too much. If you fall trees all day everyday there will come a time when quick movement becomes extremely important. The ones we wore slid down inside your pants and were a lot thinner. Wearing them I have felt the teeth of a saw chain bounce off my knee. Cut the heck out of my pants but not my skin. The only serious saw cut I had was when the saw kicked back and hit me across the shin below the chaps. That scar is about 6 inches long. Cut about a quarter of the way through my shin bone in an instance. All that said I still have those chaps but I never put them on when I run a saw.

JW IN VA said:
Another post about how to lose money made me think o another way to possibly save money.

I know we all like to go with the "tough guy" approach to things and I am as guilty as anyone but one thing I've heard many times on another forum is protective equipment. It's been brought to my attention that a pair of chain saw chaps is far cheaper than a co pay to the ER. Can't argue with those numbers.
I know that fo those of us who grew up in the business wear PPE makes us feel like an extremist or "city guy" but,in truth, we are just as vulnerable to the effects of accidents even if some accidents are "rookie mistakes".
It bothers me to see people run string trimmers without so much as a pair of sunglasses when I know how much junk gets stuck on my glasses and how a dry stalk hurts when it hits my cheek.
A number of years back I noticed a neighbor wearing ear plugs when driving his tractor.I tried it and noticed how much better I could hear at the end of the day. Now I've got them whenever I'm running the tractor for any length of time,sawing or running a trimmer.Even gone so far as to mow the lawn with them.
I'm not suggesting we go out to work looking like a running back but a little prevention might save a lot in certain cases.
Good example: Last week my pens were muddy and I had rubber boots on.A calf weighing a little over 250 made me wish I had my steel toe and met guard boots on I bought for that purpose.

these are good too

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-WorkTunes-Hearing-Protector-with-AM-FM-Digital-Radio/15574016?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227009711211&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40873096712&wl4=aud-566049426705:pla-78765780752&wl5=9008628&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=15574016&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIov_FzYLl5QIVd4FaBR3QnQdLEAQYAiABEgIm-vD_BwE

I always like to think about what it's going to cost me if I get hurt. It still doesn't stop me, but it makes me think more safely. When I had my foot surgery, it became the extreme example getting infected and needing all sorts of specialty care. Cost $209,000 in the end. Thankfully we have wonderful insurance. Working with animals and heavy equipment, that could happen any time to anyone on here. Break a bone, need surgery, gets infected and now you're paying for it for life. It can happen in a blink of an eye.

About 2 years ago, cut myself just below the kneecap with a saw, clutch leg, so couldn't work for 8 weeks, not to mention the ER bill, no insurance. Chaps 50 bucks and I wear them every time. My dad was a mechanic and always told me "take care of your eyes and hands". I need to start wearing hearing protection for sure. I'll say tho, that all through the years, when something happened it was mostly due to fatigue or in a hurry.

On the other hand if I were worried about ER visits or wear and tear on my body, I would have never rode bucking horses or fell timber. And not doing those two things I would have missed out on a whole lot of fun and money. Use some common sense . Be aware of you surroundings. But don't let worry stop you from living life. You are only here once go for the gusto.

Many years ago I was cleaning up some stuff with a chain saw....was walking and looking at the tree I was going to cut next while carrying the running saw....
Stepped over a log and the running saw put a nice gash on my thigh just above the knee cap....
close call from which I learned a few things.

The wife got me some chaps last year along with a helmet and ear protection for Christmas. I wear the chaps, not the helmet so much. I do have a pair of headphones with a radio built in that helps me pass the time.

Got a hollowed out hackberry I tried to push over with a 2955 JD tractor last year. Couldn't do it. Left the 2350 sitting near it last week after using it to put the front end loader back on the 2955... #@$&%* wind blew it over leaning it up against the cab. Crushed the lid a bit.

Latest posts