Another money saver

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
Another post about how to lose money made me think o another way to possibly save money.

I know we all like to go with the "tough guy" approach to things and I am as guilty as anyone but one thing I've heard many times on another forum is protective equipment. It's been brought to my attention that a pair of chain saw chaps is far cheaper than a co pay to the ER. Can't argue with those numbers.
I know that fo those of us who grew up in the business wear PPE makes us feel like an extremist or "city guy" but,in truth, we are just as vulnerable to the effects of accidents even if some accidents are "rookie mistakes".
It bothers me to see people run string trimmers without so much as a pair of sunglasses when I know how much junk gets stuck on my glasses and how a dry stalk hurts when it hits my cheek.
A number of years back I noticed a neighbor wearing ear plugs when driving his tractor.I tried it and noticed how much better I could hear at the end of the day. Now I've got them whenever I'm running the tractor for any length of time,sawing or running a trimmer.Even gone so far as to mow the lawn with them.
I'm not suggesting we go out to work looking like a running back but a little prevention might save a lot in certain cases.
Good example: Last week my pens were muddy and I had rubber boots on.A calf weighing a little over 250 made me wish I had my steel toe and met guard boots on I bought for that purpose.

Had buddy almost saw his leg off with a chainsaw when we were in high school, he never was very smart and alcohol was involved. I bought a pair of stihl chaps after that. But I'm not very smart either and they're still in the package somewhere.

I don't own a pair of shorts but I don't wear any protective gear at the farm or at work much to everyone's complaint.

JW IN VA said:
Another post about how to lose money made me think o another way to possibly save money.

I know we all like to go with the "tough guy" approach to things and I am as guilty as anyone but one thing I've heard many times on another forum is protective equipment. It's been brought to my attention that a pair of chain saw chaps is far cheaper than a co pay to the ER. Can't argue with those numbers.
I know that fo those of us who grew up in the business wear PPE makes us feel like an extremist or "city guy" but,in truth, we are just as vulnerable to the effects of accidents even if some accidents are "rookie mistakes".
It bothers me to see people run string trimmers without so much as a pair of sunglasses when I know how much junk gets stuck on my glasses and how a dry stalk hurts when it hits my cheek.
A number of years back I noticed a neighbor wearing ear plugs when driving his tractor.I tried it and noticed how much better I could hear at the end of the day. Now I've got them whenever I'm running the tractor for any length of time,sawing or running a trimmer.Even gone so far as to mow the lawn with them.
I'm not suggesting we go out to work looking like a running back but a little prevention might save a lot in certain cases.
Good example: Last week my pens were muddy and I had rubber boots on.A calf weighing a little over 250 made me wish I had my steel toe and met guard boots on I bought for that purpose.

You made a bunch of great points.

Me and a buddy were splitting fence post with wedges and gullets when we were teenagers. A piece of metal shot off the wedge, and hit his testicle. He ended up losing the testicle. Still feel bad about that, because i was swinging the sledge.

Bigfoot said:
Me and a buddy were splitting fence post with wedges and gullets when we were teenagers. A piece of metal shot off the wedge, and hit his testicle. He ended up losing the testicle. Still feel bad about that, because i was swinging the sledge.

Got a piece of steel in my bicep to this day that shot off a wedge about 40 years ago. Lucky it wasn't where he got his;

My son has a little piece of metal just below his eye from doing some grinding, with protective glasses on. He cannot have an MRI because of it maybe coming out into his eye. I didn't wear ear protectors when I was in my 20-30's when I was on open tractors, but I wear them now even on the farmall H and mowing the lawn. I want to be able to hear when I am old not just saying "HUH".....
With his work with VDOT, they emphasize safety all the time. Some things seem a little way out there, but he has become more safety conscious over the years which is good.

I was in a conference with an audiologist today and she reminded of just those things. Wear ear protectors on a tractor,mowing the lawn or weed-eating (I don't do that). I'm 75 and she reminded me that my hearing can get worse. And if you wear hearing aids take them off when you do farm chores as above.

Good advice all around..those of us on blood thinners should take even more precautions........not that I do very often

don't not do like this guy either.

shaz said:
I don't own a pair of shorts but I don't wear any protective gear at the farm or at work much to everyone's complaint.

I thought I was the only guy left on the planet that didn't own a pair of shorts.

When I cut my hand the other day the calf got me frustrated with it's kicking. I had done enough to be getting tired. I usually catch the cap of the sack between my index and middle finger and make a fist. I cut with my pocket knife just above the middle joints of my two fingers. The only thing that is in real danger is the top of my knuckles. In frustration I turned my hand over and grabbed the sack like you'd grab a teat to milk. And I paid for poor technique.

Many of you know we had a man killed in a round baler last year. Door was open with hydraulic locked out at the baler. Apparently there was a bleed in the tractor. He unlocked the safety lockout.....while standing under the door.

I did a job at commanche peak powerplant in January. We where required to where safety glasses, while working directly beside the hotwater discharge...in 20 degree air temperature.......think about that a minute.

Safety is common sense. Sometimes you get complacent. And hopefully you live through it.
But it's always your fault. A employer shouldn't be responsible to pay your bill or your time if you hurt your dumbazx.
Considering we work everyday all-day with powertools, heavy equipment, barbwire and large animals. I think we do pretty good. I'm very glad I don't have to work in a building full of filthy humans every day.

I do own a pair of shorts. Haven't worn them in many years, never wore them beyond my front porch or where anyone other than wife could see me and they probably no longer fit...somewhere in the bottom of a drawer I think...

Shorts are a city boy thing. When you live in the city you know you wont have to chase a calf through brush sometime later than day.

greybeard said:
I do own a pair of shorts. Haven't worn them in many years, never wore them beyond my front porch or where anyone other than wife could see me and they probably no longer fit...somewhere in the bottom of a drawer I think...

One would think she would go farther than just hiding them in a drawer....🤭

1982vett said:
greybeard said:
I do own a pair of shorts. Haven't worn them in many years, never wore them beyond my front porch or where anyone other than wife could see me and they probably no longer fit...somewhere in the bottom of a drawer I think.

One would think she would go farther than just hiding them in a drawer....🤭 ... especially if their is a chance they fit....😅

1982vett said:
greybeard said:

One would think she would go farther than just hiding them in a drawer....🤭

He lives on a sandbar...gotta have shorts when the creek gets up.

shaz said:
Shorts are a city boy thing. When you live in the city you know you wont have to chase a calf through brush sometime later than day.

Actually, I live in a very rural area, and I see a lot more shorts in men than I care to see. I see them farming, in construction work, you name it. That's why I was so shocked that there was another man who didn't own a pair. Nothing is more attractive than a man with a large gut in a tank top, shorts, and sandals, and I see it often here. 🤢 🤮

Latest posts