Another Great Bermuda This stuff is a Joke

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy+":5nsw9o0m said:
Crowderfarms":5nsw9o0m said:
My Guess? Transplant.

Ah ha!!!!!!!!!!! So Crowder you cutting in on my market I see. :lol:

Well, maybe it was a typo. Maybe he meant 12% and got fat fingered.
I would'nt think of cutting in on that market.. We'll let you keep it. All to yourself. :lol:

Didn't do worth spit here either. We got a bag of sprigs from a salesman two years ago that was touting it big time. We're in blackland prairie. Jiggs and Tifton do the best in this type of soil / climate.

We had looked at their website and we gave them a call. Not any help at all. They just want to send a rep. out to you to look your place over and give you advice. For very big bucks mind you. They did not want to answer any questions, just send someone out to you. We kept pushin' and finally got a few answers. By reading between the lies, I mean lines. We finally figured out their test plots. There are only 2 spots about a foot square on the back side of a rock when the moon is goin' down in the whole United States that this stuff will do well in. Knew right away by how the rep. handled us that we didn't need to do anything more with them. As to mixin' this stuff with something else, that's a no go too. My test plot is in my yard. Spent every wakin' moment keepin' all weeds out of it to get it established. Including other grasses. Once it was goin' good, I let mother nature take care of it. Didn't take long for other grasses to take it over. Weeds choke it out in a heart beat. Way too time consuming and labor intensive to have a whole pasture of this stuff.
DOC HARRIS":3ax6bgfe said:
Frankie":3ax6bgfe said:
DOC HARRIS":3ax6bgfe said:
Farmhand":3ax6bgfe said:
Got a hold of a couple of sprigs of that stuff and planted a little test plot to see what it would do. That first summer it looked great. Next spring was cold and wet and it was the only brown spot on the place. Summer was almost over before it looked good again. Glad we didn't waste the money and energy trying to start a pasture with it.
Where was this plant originally developed? Seriously, perhaps the developer should be contacted and brought up-to-date with the results everyone seems to be getting. Have any of the Experiment Stations done any work regarding this grass? It must have had some redeeming qualities when it was developed or it wouldn't have had any acceptability at all. It costs time and money to research and develop a 'new' product, or and idea and I think it is a shame to go to all that trouble if NOTHING good results. What are the specific soil and environmental requirements for it? Is it a hybrid? What are the claims for it? Should it lie ungrazed for a period of time? Perhaps it can be resuscitated if it is worth the effort and time. What are your thoughts??-

DOC HARRIS

P.S. I just clicked on the "World Feeder" web site, and read what THEY had to say about the grass. It sounds as if it is the "all-everything-answer" to everything. Some of you Ranchers who have had trouble with it should go directly to the producer and air your complaints. Perhaps you can get some information that will solve your problems. Just a thought. It seems as if it should have SOME merit!

DOC HARRIS

DOC, we went to a World Feeder demo years ago. The "developer" is a former preacher. He had a falling out with God and was down on his luck when he found this grass growing in an old corral on his home place. He claims it's a sign from God that he's to promote it and "feed the world." Of course, he's getting rich off this gift from God, but that's another story. :) Anyway, we were interested until we couldn't get anyone from World Feeder to tell us how much fertilizer was required to get the growth they claimed.

The meeting was almost like a Baptist church revival. He told his story about how bad his life was and finding the grass made him realize how important God is in his life. Several other people "testified" and told how much grass they were getting from World Feeder. There were shouts of "amen" from the crowd. But no one discussed fertilizing requirements so we left emptyhanded. As I've read and seen more and more, I think it's close to a ripoff and discourage anyone who talks to me about it from buying the stuff.

Ok State University and the Noble Foundation here in OK have tested it. They say it's a good grass, but there are others better and much, much cheaper.
:shock: :eek: It is unfortunate that there seems to be someone or something in every endeavor that can't seem to get their head on straight! For people who see the glass half FULL instead of half EMPTY it is difficult to perceive that there is a charlatan in the woodpile - but there usually is one if there is a buck to be made! But - perhaps that grass could be mixed in with another mix which would provide the elements necessary for it's development! There is always a way to make lemonade out of a lemon!

DOC HARRIS

dun":bt4h21gk said:
Basically it's a table of ADF Protein and digestable nutrients for 10 cultivars of Bermuda. The high was Greenfield at 16.69, the low was Russell at 15.93. The average was 15.92. Midland 99 was 15.40

dun
dun please clarify the numbers - if Russell was the low at 15.93, then the average couldn't have been 15.92? Right? Regardless, no 21%'s huh?

docgraybull":z6izagv1 said:
dun":z6izagv1 said:
Basically it's a table of ADF Protein and digestable nutrients for 10 cultivars of Bermuda. The high was Greenfield at 16.69, the low was Russell at 15.93. The average was 15.92. Midland 99 was 15.40

dun
dun please clarify the numbers - if Russell was the low at 15.93, then the average couldn't have been 15.92? Right? Regardless, no 21%'s huh?

OOPS, Russell was 14.93 - sorry bout that

dun

Welp, I still like my Midland 99. With all the common bermuda around that is turning brown in the month of October the Midland 99 is still green. I do believe it will take longer to get a good stand established from what I have seen this summer. Partly because it does not produce seed, and no doubt because we had a Bad drought this summer.
bif

I heard the hoopla about this stuff a few years back and sent off for some info on it. They make all these "miraculous" claims about its productivity and quality and that it just beats the socks off everything else out there-- with one quid pro quo-- You have to fertilize it with their proprietary "special blend" of micronutrients to get it to perform like their test plot info says it will. Soil test, existing fertility, tons of N, no matter: their info packet said it will outperform everything else ONLY IF you buy the special micronutrient fertilizer from them, and it's pricey.

Easy to spot hokey if you really look and use common sense. Just my thoughts. JR:)

Please don't use the term "quid pro quo". That term brings back to memory the countless, poorly produced sexual harassment videos I have had to watch at work, year after year. The memories make my head hurt ;)

wbrowning":11x1wcb6 said:
Down here in southeast Texas the best performer on my place for hay production is JIGGS Bermuda.

Kind of hard to get started though. LSU did a recent study of the amount of forage produced by the different types. I 'm gonna find it and post it.

Latest posts