another dumb question

Help Support CattleToday:

Judge Sharpe

Reaction score
Ok I have been raising a few Angus calves for the last three or four years and have always sold them as purebred, but have not filled out the paper to register them. This year I have 4 really beautiful bull calves and a good looking heifer calf that I want to register. How do I go about doing this? The mommas and the bull all have good papers. I want to keep the heifer for a replacement, but the little bulls need to move on next year and if the trouble and expense are not too much I think they would bring more with papers than as just purebred.
I have some time to worry about this sore of thing right now because I had 4 heart stents put in last week and I am having to take it easy. LOL I think taking it easy is harder than working. Saturday I got a call that the neighbor's game cameras showed more cows eating his deer corn than deer and I had to fix fence all day and heard cows all morning. My string just about ran out about noon, but we managed to get the girls home and the wire back up. For some reason several trees fell across the boundary fence when there was no wind or rain. I am just glad the girls follow the 4 wheeler everywhere looking for a hand out. They just love a hand out. They may have herd the neighbors 4 wheeler and thought I was putting out corn for them over there. Did find a calf I was not expecting that was born while I was in the hospital so the week was not a total lose even if it was another bull. Last year I had girls, this year it has been mostly bulls. Go figure.
Sorry to run on, but I needed to spout off a little bit.
Bill Brower

Bill my first move would be to call the Angus Assn and ask them!

Hope you feel better soon

The parents of the calves have to be registered and be recorded with you as the owner and you will need to be a member of the American Angus Association.
If the bull and cows are registered, and not in your name, I would contact the American Angus Association about getting them transferred and what you need to do to register their offspring.

This is the link to their page with membership and registration forms. It also have a phone number if you need to talk to someone.

http://www.angus.org/General/gnrlNewMem.aspx

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems and hope that you feel better and recover soon.

The bull and cows are all registered and in my name. I was a member of the Angus association but I think my membership lapsed. Thanks for the replies. And I do feel better, just hate enforced idleness and thinking of things to worry about. I know the individual animals need to be marked, is that a tattoo I choose ( numbers or letters) or is one assigned? Is ear tattoo the best way to go?

Judge Sharpe":19vpjzog said:
The bull and cows are all registered and in my name. I was a member of the Angus association but I think my membership lapsed. Thanks for the replies. And I do feel better, just hate enforced idleness and thinking of things to worry about. I know the individual animals need to be marked, is that a tattoo I choose ( numbers or letters) or is one assigned? Is ear tattoo the best way to go?

again wouldn't the angus assn. be the most reliable source of information on these questions?

Darn Bill! You better take it easy before you blow out your new stents! I don't think fixing fence would be on your doctors orders. ;-)

I tattoo ears on my Brangus. I like that method. FYI- The Angus Assoc. may be similar to the Brangus Assoc. in that the longer you wait, the more expensive it gets............I let some of my herd reporting lapse a couple years when I was not active, and when I came back to the Assoc. I had to "back pay" for those years.

Latest posts