ANOTHER comment about color

Help Support CattleToday:

branxchar&charx

Reaction score
Alright, i had someone try to tell me that the sire of this calf was a hereford.😂 I just stopped especially after they said bulls had to be a "trained fence jumper" to get into the next pasture.
0530222106.jpg0530222105c_HDR.jpg

Calf was born about a week ago and she calved during the timeframe where got rid of the hereford and replaced with a charolais. The north side pasture had a couple black bulls, and only other bull is a hereford on the west side separated by a two lane highway.

Tough to guess which bull, but I notice the cow has black points so the black could have come from her.

. . . Calf was born about a week ago and she calved during the timeframe where got rid of the hereford and replaced with a charolais. The north side pasture had a couple black bulls, and only other bull is a hereford on the west side separated by a two lane highway.

I could certainly be wrong, but my money is on it being one of them.

Definitely not outta the char bull.

IF the cow is a black carrier (she looks red)
Could certainly be out of hereford bull. Only takes one black gene to make a black calf.

Unless you have a bona-fide fence jumping bull, my money is on the hereford sire as well.

I'd guess one of the black bulls as well, I'd expect more white from a herf sire with that cow, but the calf having the identical pattern to the mom I've seen a few times breeding to solid colored bulls

Not following you,Coach. These are Angus sired calves. Guaranteed to be black. This calf from the OP was not believed to be sired by an Angus bull.

Not following you,Coach. These are Angus sired calves. Guaranteed to be black. This calf from the OP was not believed to be sired by an Angus bull.
Black white faced calf out of crossbred cow , possibly Hereford cross . Put a black bull over her you going get black . Hereford bull over crossbred cow , possibly Hereford cross , you going to get red . My 2 cents . About what my post is worth . 🤔

No - that is not correct - IF that cow is grey like she "appears" to be in the picture. Being grey, means she is a black diluted cow. That means she carries the black gene. Therefore, the calf could easily be black (25% chance) out of a Hereford bull. Now, what the chances of the calf not getting white legs, I don't know?? But, all of Coachg's calves have solid black legs out of very Hereford marked mommas.

No - that is not correct - IF that cow is grey like she "appears" to be in the picture. Being grey, means she is a black diluted cow. That means she carries the black gene. Therefore, the calf could easily be black (25% chance) out of a Hereford bull. Now, what the chances of the calf not getting white legs, I don't know?? But, all of Coachg's calves have solid black legs out of very Hereford marked mommas.
I'll have to go back and look but I think there are some white stockings in some of the baldie calves . I have a degree in biology and taught genetics. There are so many variables when you say the black gene is always dominant. If you do a basic Punnet square , yes you get 25 % . I still say a black bull jumped the fence, if they can jump in they can jump out .

Maybe you had "some" white on the baldie calves, but your pictures show they don't ALWAYS get white out of Hereford genetics.
Bottom line, if the cow is carrying a black gene, she can be bred to a red billie goat (kidding) and she could have a BLACK offspring. period. ONE black gene CAN produce a black calf. I get them all the time. And sometimes, I get a red calf out of a black cow and a black bull - both being hetero-black = 25% chance of a red calf. I enjoy genetics and have been dealing with color, diluter gene, horn gene for over 50 years.

Latest posts